• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Raped by her uncle, but can she have an abortion? (1 Viewer)

Paschkow

HSC
inasero said:
1) the problem is when does a foetus start to become "viable". Much as we try to put a figure to it, there have been instances where medical professionals have though survival impossible and yet the child goes on to develop normally.

2) if you think about it, most embryos are viable since they have the potential to go on and develop normally without any intervention- and that involves the blastocyst stage

3) who are we to play God and decide who lives and who dies?
The young girl was raped at the age of 11 and is expected to give birth. the 11 year old wouldn't even understand what is really happening let alone her bearing a child.
why not think about that if it is morals you worry about.

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A
Paschkow said:
The young girl was raped at the age of 11 and is expected to give birth. the 11 year old wouldn't even understand what is really happening let alone her bearing a child.
why not think about that if it is morals you worry about.
i agree.

lulz are more important

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
lala2 said:
Nebuchanezzar mentioned vegetables, and this brings to mind the whole concept of sentience and what exactly is defined as life. Why are we so opposed to what I see as the stopping of a bunch of cells from dividing further when we can just cut down trees that are decades, possibly even hundreds of years old? Of course, once the baby starts to develop its senses, then that might be the cutoff point because it's when it starts to become sentient.

The question becomes, I feel, defining what life is--is it sentience, an experience of not being dead, just existing, or something else? Because ultimately I feel the debate about abortion is how you define life and under what circumstances.
That is the question, and I find your comparison to trees somewhat disturbing. :p

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
And of the fertile time left?

I don't want to pass judgement on this before I see statistics or something showing that actual productivity (chances of producing offspring) in a healthy, once pregnant adult female compared to a baby still to develop. In poorer countries the balance would be tipped towards the mother, but in Australia I'd believe it's a lot closer (actually, I'd believe that it'd swing the other way).
Biologically and ecologically, population dynamics and demographics are partly defined (and intertwined with) reproductive value, which is basically the number of offspring you can be expected to produce from each life stage (if you survive). Summarising a whole crapload of population ecology,
- adult females are worth more in terms absolute AND relative amount of offspring they can produce in their lifetime than babies
- this is because adults have already survived TO adulthood to be able to breed
- thus an adult female is always more productive to the population than her babies
- and this is why, time and time again, say if a cheetah with cubs is threatened by a lion, she will always abandon her cubs and save herself because she is worth more than the cubs because she has already survived to adulthood, bred successfully and has a higher statistical chance of breeding successfully again.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
alright. what about her uncle? what happened to him?
i dont believe abortion is right. morning after pill all the way :)
but not abortion.
how are we to decide who lives and who dies? this kid could grow up to be the next Martin Luther King Jr, who knows. its not our place to decide for the unborn child whether it should live or die.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Darnie said:
alright. what about her uncle? what happened to him?
i dont believe abortion is right. morning after pill all the way :)
but not abortion.
how are we to decide who lives and who dies? this kid could grow up to be the next Martin Luther King Jr, who knows. its not our place to decide for the unborn child whether it should live or die.
Um.
Morning after pill is an abortificant.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
It actually depends. The morning after pill works in three ways:
- it stops the ovary releasing an egg
- does not allow fertilization to occur
or
- prevents the embryo implanting into the uterus

The last one is really the only abortificant.
so yeah. its a possible i suppose

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
I remember reading about a doctor who wouldn't prescribe the pill as a contraceptive because in some cases it works to abort by preventing the foetus implanting in the uterus...

Graustein

HSC
Darnie said:
The kid could also grow up to be the next Hitler. Just as easily. Possibly more easily considering it'd be living with the fact that it was the bastard offspring of an paedophilic incestuous rape. Such a background does not foster a healthy mind. Even if it didn't know any of that as a result of being adopted, it'd have to live with "mummy didn't want me"

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
black_kat_meow said:
I remember reading about a doctor who wouldn't prescribe the pill as a contraceptive because in some cases it works to abort by preventing the foetus implanting in the uterus...
Yes that is true aswell.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
But you have to take the pill every day so you'd never know if you'd accidentally thwarted conception. Which is what it's for anyway. You don't take the pill and jump for joy if you get pregnant lol.

Morning after pill is a slightly different matter though.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Kwayera: This is currently the case with developed Western countries, is it? I want to be sure.

Cosmic Doris: How is it slightly different. It is entirely different, no?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Kwayera: This is currently the case with developed Western countries, is it? I want to be sure.

Cosmic Doris: How is it slightly different. It is entirely different, no?
Well not entirely since like the normal contraceptive pill, you don't know if you're pregnant or not when you take it, only that you could be and to prevent the possibility of having a baby you take the morning after pill. Just like how you take the regular pill to prevent the possibility of having a baby. The difference is that when you're on the pill you assume you're not pregnant because you are taking it all the time whereas the morning after pill is taken because you assume you very well could be because you were a tard or used a dicky condom.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
not just that, the pill stops an egg from been released in the first place, the morning after pill:
1. either stops you from ovulating
2. or stops a fertilised egg, from implanting in the uterus' lining

If i am wrong feel free to correct me.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
not just that, the pill stops an egg from been released in the first place, the morning after pill:
1. either stops you from ovulating
2. or stops a fertilised egg, from implanting in the uterus' lining

If i am wrong feel free to correct me.
SYNTHETIC OESTROGEN AND PROGESTERONE MAKES U THINK YR PREGNANT and so you dont release an egg because thats what happens when you're pregnant

thats what the pill does'

the morning after pill prevents ovulation, prevents the egg attaching to the uterine wall and fucks around with the hormones

the morning after pill is basically like having a spontaneous abortion

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Well not entirely since like the normal contraceptive pill, you don't know if you're pregnant or not when you take it, only that you could be and to prevent the possibility of having a baby you take the morning after pill. Just like how you take the regular pill to prevent the possibility of having a baby. The difference is that when you're on the pill you assume you're not pregnant because you are taking it all the time whereas the morning after pill is taken because you assume you very well could be because you were a tard or used a dicky condom.
i was under the impression that the contraceptive pill forbids fertilisation, whereas the morning after pill potentially terminates the already developing zygote (albeit one that hasn't implanted itself yet).

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
as i said before, the morning after pill works a number of ways, one being stopping the release of an egg from the ovum, then it can prevent fertilization occuring, then as a last resort it prevents an egg from implanting into the uterus. it works many different ways, but it doesnt kill a egg that has already implanted

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
i was under the impression that the contraceptive pill forbids fertilisation, whereas the morning after pill potentially terminates the already developing zygote (albeit one that hasn't implanted itself yet).
Yes it does, my point was that there does not even have to be a zygote for someone to take the morning after pill. People take it all the time "just in case" because they can't remember if they used protection or something.

When you're on the pill, you do not ovulate because it tricks your body into thinking its pregnant. Therefore you can't get pregnant (well actually you can but its pretty rare and usually because you did something wrong like forgetting to take it). It doesn't exactly forbid fertilisation, more like it forbids the release of an egg to be fertilised in the first place.

When you take the morning after pill there may or may not be an egg there to fertilise, but you take it anyway just in case there is (you should have some idea anyway but if you don't want to be pregnant you will take it regardless). The morning after pill does not abort an already implanted egg like darnie said, at least I am positive this is the case someone correct me if I'm wrong. You have to take it ASAP after having sex so you can get to the potential egg before it implants into the uterus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)