• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Raped by her uncle, but can she have an abortion? (1 Viewer)

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Hollieee said:
Just adding to what squeenie said, I'm also a science lover, but I believe in God at the same time. Sometimes it can be pretty hard to reconcile the two.
But like you've both said, I try to question everything and not just take it as fact because someone tells me to. I think thats a good way to go about things, personally =D
I've been told that I could have both science and religion, as long as I keep them separate. But I found that I couldn't really do that, so I guess that's what kinda made me leave religion. Who knows, maybe one day I'll find a way to reconcile them.

joyce*

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I would agree with you that mere lack of desire to have a child does not in itself constitute justification for an abortion, however, this is not the only thing that has to be considered.

Do you really believe it's right for someone who is in no way ready to have a child and who has already gone through almost unimaginable physical, mental and emotional trauma, not to mention being 11, to be forced to have it?
did u know that rapists have the highest rate of keeping the child, i cheked out some studies in my school library.. most rape victims keep there child, over 60% of them it actually helps them out through depression.. i understand what ur saying shes 11 years old and shes definatley not ready i mean im 17 and i can not picture myself with a child right now. but the destruction of life isnt the answer. i mean she can have the child ( i know shes 11 ) and give it up for adoption. i know that the circumstances are hard i fully understand but sometimes u have to do things that u really dont want to do in life, it hard and its annoying and unexpected things happen that u didnt plan for 2 happen and then u wonder y its happening to u and not someone else. life is a whole journey of hardships and struggles of both physical, mental and spiritual. life isnt ever breazy and easy we all wish it could be. ill definatly keep the 11 year old in my prayers that she has a safe recovery and gets on with her life and puts everything in the past. cause everyone deserves a new start and an awsome life

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
squeenie said:
Why do you have to question someone's beliefs (or lack thereof)? Seems kind of pointless, if you ask me.
i was asking out of curiosity.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
squeenie said:
I've been told that I could have both science and religion, as long as I keep them separate. But I found that I couldn't really do that, so I guess that's what kinda made me leave religion. Who knows, maybe one day I'll find a way to reconcile them.
I think that you can have both christianity and science together. There are plenty of christian scientists out there.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
squeenie said:
Does it really bother you so much that we don't follow a religion?

I have no problem with religion, I just choose keep out of it. Is that such a bad thing?
it bothers me to know that you are going to go to hell it actually makes us sad to know that you are no in a relationship with God.. If God has given me an oppotunity to share with you, then who am I to pass down that opportunity?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
joyce* said:
did u know that rapists have the highest rate of keeping the child, i cheked out some studies in my school library.. most rape victims keep there child, over 60% of them it actually helps them out through depression.. i understand what ur saying shes 11 years old and shes definatley not ready i mean im 17 and i can not picture myself with a child right now. but the destruction of life isnt the answer. i mean she can have the child ( i know shes 11 ) and give it up for adoption. i know that the circumstances are hard i fully understand but sometimes u have to do things that u really dont want to do in life, it hard and its annoying and unexpected things happen that u didnt plan for 2 happen and then u wonder y its happening to u and not someone else. life is a whole journey of hardships and struggles of both physical, mental and spiritual. life isnt ever breazy and easy we all wish it could be. ill definatly keep the 11 year old in my prayers that she has a safe recovery and gets on with her life and puts everything in the past. cause everyone deserves a new start and an awsome life
It's a moot point, she's already had the abortion. Which is just as well considering that having a child so young is DANGEROUS. Her body is not ready, and being forced to go through the rigours of birth can and does kill many many young women her age around the world, if not grant them horrible fistulas instead.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I think that you can have both christianity and science together. There are plenty of christian scientists out there.
hi!

edit: an doing medical research on the side :p

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
It's a moot point, she's already had the abortion. Which is just as well considering that having a child so young is DANGEROUS. Her body is not ready, and being forced to go through the rigours of birth can and does kill many many young women her age around the world, if not grant them horrible fistulas instead.
Mmmm , was just reading a part of a book about fistulas actually. Horrible.

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
lol why is this in the "Light and Offbeat News" ?

In my opinion the girl should have the right to decide what happens to her body. If she doesn't want to have carry through with the pregnacy then she shouldn't be forced to. She is young, so perhaps she is not in a position to make decisions for herself, in that case the parents should make a decision for her. It is their opinion that she should abort and so she should be allowed to abort.

I do believe that after X numbers of weeks the baby should be considered as a human.

IMO if a woman was heavily pregnant and got kicked in the stomach after a fight with her partner and the kick was fatal to the unborn child, most of us would agree that that the result would be the loss of a life, albiet an unborn life.

Oh, and remmember that regardless of our opinions, and despite peoples objections and stuff in this forum, the great majority of us are BOSer's cause we represent smart/informed young adults that will probably never have an unwanted pregnanacy or face the phychological problems associated with being raped by our 19 y.o. uncle etc...

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
it bothers me to know that you are going to go to hell it actually makes us sad to know that you are no in a relationship with God.. If God has given me an oppotunity to share with you, then who am I to pass down that opportunity?
Uh... okay...

*backs off*

You think I'm going to hell, because you believe in it. Well, you see, I don't. I don't even think that anything happens to you after death.

Last edited:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
joyce* said:
We do have to do things sometimes that we don't want to do. Actually theoretically we don't have to do anything we don't want to but from a more practical standpoint, yes, there are things in life that must be done which we don't really have a choice over.

Having a child is not one of them.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
It probably bothers the followers of other religions that you are going to hell too in their eyes. Or maybe not.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
It's possible to have science and religion at the same time, as long as they are kept seperate, something that I can't do right now, probably because I don't have the same level of experience these people have. Maybe when I'm older, and when I've seen more of the world, then I can return to religion. But for now, I'm going to stay out of it.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
cosmic doris said:
We do have to do things sometimes that we don't want to do. Actually theoretically we don't have to do anything we don't want to but from a more practical standpoint, yes, there are things in life that must be done which we don't really have a choice over.

Having a child is not one of them.
You're right. You don't have to have a child in that you can prevent a child from appearing in that beloved womb. Once it's there there, I see very, very few situations where that child is less important than the woman, to the point where it can be terminated.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Having a child is so enormous and life-altering that the decision to have one should be conscious, and not determined by a broken condom.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Exactly, and I can see many, many situations where the mother's life trumps that of the foetus.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
scarybunny said:
Having a child is so enormous and life-altering that the decision to have one should be conscious, and not determined by a broken condom.
Or by the fact that you got raped by your insane 19-year old uncle.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
That too.

If you don't want a baby, don't have one. Seriously.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Kwayera said:
Exactly, and I can see many, many situations where the mother's life trumps that of the foetus.
Let's list them, and I shall list the situations where it doesn't. :)

scarybunny said:
Being killed is a far more life-altering situation since, you know, you're dead and all.

Indeed, large decisions should be conscious. But since we live in a society where innocent lives are generally viewed as sacred and something to be protected, it is not anyone's decision to take away anothers life.

A consequence of sex is a baby. If you're prepared to have sex then you know the risks. Condoms are not, and have never pretended to be 100% infalliable. You know this. Everyone knows this. A broken condom is not an excuse.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Let's list them, and I shall list the situations where it doesn't. :)

Being killed is a far more life-altering situation since, you know, you're dead and all.

Indeed, large decisions should be conscious. But since we live in a society where innocent lives are generally viewed as sacred and something to be protected, it is not anyone's decision to take away anothers life.

A consequence of sex is a baby. If you're prepared to have sex then you know the risks. Condoms are not, and have never pretended to be 100% infalliable. You know this. Everyone knows this. A broken condom is not an excuse.
But you see, in this case, the girl had no choice. She was raped by her 19-year-old uncle, who clearly had issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)