Raped by her uncle, but can she have an abortion? (1 Viewer)

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
so what was said to make you reject God?
Why do you have to question someone's beliefs (or lack thereof)? Seems kind of pointless, if you ask me.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Because she's a fundamentalist christian and we're all going to hell. Can't you see, she's trying to help us!
LOL.

Thanks, but no thanks, fundies. I think I can manage on my own. After all, evolution and natural selection has made sure that we're well adapted to our environment.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
squeenie said:
LOL.

Thanks, but no thanks, fundies. I think I can manage on my own. After all, evolution and natural selection has made sure that we're well adapted to our environment.
so you live on the plains of africa? :D

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Will Shakespear said:
so you live on the plains of africa? :D
LOL. No, but i'm sure that our ancestors did however many thousands of years ago. We didn't come from dirt man and rib woman, that's for sure.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Um there is no mention of that in the bible, or quarks.

So they do not exist.
Oh, well I wasn't referring to the Bible... I was referring to the theory that goes against everything in Bible, which, as you said is historically invalid.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Enteebee said:
You can go and declare that all you want but the fact remains that there are problems with such genetic theories as there may be issues with more culture centric theories, which would be why I said his theory doesn't tell the whole picture. I mean... personally I'd tend to want some form of a genetic approach but there's definitely room for debate here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incest_taboo
Um, having read that, yes - the social taboo is based solely on our genetic disgust and aversion to it. There is no other reason why it would be a taboo for any other reason.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Kwayera said:
Um, having read that, yes - the social taboo is based solely on our genetic disgust and aversion to it. There is no other reason why it would be a taboo for any other reason.
Fine, I'll take the view of the anthropologist. The taboo is the cause of the 'psychological disgust and aversion'. I mean... incest actually does occur fairly commonly amongst other social animals.

Reasons why it would be a taboo? You musn't have read the article.
Sociologist Ian Robertson gives three main social reasons why incest taboo exist as a cultural universals. The first is that early human beings-living primarily in small kinship groups of hunters and gatherers- needed to protect themselves by forming alliances with other groups. By forcing their children to marry into families outside their own, each group widened its social links and provided itself with allies in time of famine or other hazards. These groups faced the alternatives of marrying out or dying. Marriage in most traditional societies is a practical alliance between groups, not a love match between individuals. That is why marriages were often arranged by the parents, often when their offspring were still children and sometimes even before they are born. The second reason for the incest taboo is that the family itself could not function without it, for the statuses of family members would be utterly and hopelessly confused. As Kingsley Davis points out: " The incestuous child of a father-daughter union would be a brother of his own mother, i.e. the son of his own sister; a stepson of his own grandmother; possibly a brother of his own uncle; and certainly a grandson of his own father." The third reason is that without an incest taboo, sexual rivalry among family members would disrupt the normal roles and attitudes of the various relatives. The father, for example, might experience role conflict as both the disciplinarian and the lover of his daughter; the mother might be jealous of both; and the child, of course, would be caught in the middle. Faced with constant conflict and tension, the family institution might simply disintegrate. The incest taboo has developed over time because it is vital to the survival of the family and thus of society itself. Of course, neither traditional nor modern societies consciously appreciate the reasons for the taboo. They simply accept it as natural and moral.
What do you say? Is this all rubbish?

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well I don't know about the anthropologists, but disgust of inbreeding is prevalent in most primate species, cetaceans, higher order raptors, etc. Inbreeding in carnivores such as big cats is prevalent (EXCEPT in the case of lions) only where there is a genetic bottleneck and there is no other mate choice BUT close relatives.

How does that reconcile with a psychological basis? It doesn't.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
But children who are separated from birth tend to share the social disgust for incest yet will occasionally find their close relative quite attractive when they first meet as adults, how does this reconcile with a purely genetic basis? Furthermore in studies done on Israeli kibbutzim children (where they were raised together in groups by their age) it was found that only 14 out of 3000 of their later marriages were between children raised in the same group.... this points to it being some sort of social desensitization of sexual interest between people you're close to rather than a predisposition against your genetic relatives.

There can be a social basis for what is happening with the mating habits of animals also. For example bonobos have a different social structure to other primates and fairly often engage in incest.

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
Because she's a fundamentalist christian and we're all going to hell. Can't you see, she's trying to help us!

Yes she is.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Yes she is.
Does it really bother you so much that we don't follow a religion?

I have no problem with religion, I just choose keep out of it. Is that such a bad thing?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
squeenie said:
Does it really bother you so much that we don't follow a religion?

I have no problem with religion, I just choose keep out of it. Is that such a bad thing?
Hmm... thats a tricky question in a way.

But i guess the thing is , for a Christian believer , those who do not accept Christ (so unbelievers) will go to 'hell'.
Its not about offence toward unbelievers at all , its to do with care for them... do you know what i mean?
'following religion' means nothing to me really. 'Following' God means more...but i suppose the two things will be similar in your mind maybe:)

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Hmm... thats a tricky question in a way.

But i guess the thing is , for a Christian believer , those who do not accept Christ (so unbelievers) will go to 'hell'.
Its not about offence toward unbelievers at all , its to do with care for them... do you know what i mean?
'following religion' means nothing to me really. 'Following' God means more...but i suppose the two things will be similar in your mind maybe:)
Well I see that they have good intentions, but I just don't want to have anything to do with it. I'm just saying 'thanks, but no thanks'

I was always told that the 'unbelievers' have chosen that way of life, and that it's their choice, no-one else's.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
squeenie said:
Well I see that they have good intentions, but I just don't want to have anything to do with it. I'm just saying 'thanks, but no thanks'

I was always told that the 'unbelievers' have chosen that way of life, and that it's their choice, no-one else's.

That the best thing to do :)
On Bos we debate everything ( like seriously everything ,lol) and atheist and Christians , muslims , nihilists....we all question one another all the time....so yes, id say thats why you are feeling a bit beleaguered:)
Im a Christian myself , and i think often the best way to represent Christ is to shut your mouth and live it....

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
*TRUE* said:
That the best thing to do :)
On Bos we debate everything ( like seriously everything ,lol) and atheist and Christians , muslims , nihilists....we all question one another all the time....so yes, id say thats why you are feeling a bit beleaguered:)
Im a Christian myself , and i think often the best way to represent Christ is to shut your mouth and live it....
I think beleaguered would be a bit of an understatement :)

Well it's in my nature as a science student to question everything. I can't accept something as truth until I've seen it for myself, or I have good evidence for it.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
squeenie said:
I think beleaguered would be a bit of an understatement :)

Well it's in my nature as a science student to question everything. I can't accept something as truth until I've seen it for myself, or I have good evidence for it.
Absolutely stay as you are.... i dont think it is healthy to just accept things willy nilly.
Do also question academics and scientists as well as religious people , question absolutely everything (though not all at once -:) Headache material,lol)

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Absolutely stay as you are.... i dont think it is healthy to just accept things willy nilly.
Do also question academics and scientists as well as religious people , question absolutely everything (though not all at once -:) Headache material,lol)
Eh, I question pretty much everything, though I learned the hard way that I shouldn't do it all at once. Well I was a (mostly) innocent year 10 student trying to figure out her subject choices back then.

This is why I'm going into Research and Development. I can't stand still in one place for too long... It... does things to me. And then I scare not only myself, but other people.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
squeenie said:
Eh, I question pretty much everything, though I learned the hard way that I shouldn't do it all at once. Well I was a (mostly) innocent year 10 student trying to figure out her subject choices back then.

This is why I'm going into Research and Development. I can't stand still in one place for too long... It... does things to me. And then I scare not only myself, but other people.
Haha. Yes , medical research has been my thing. Im already wanting to change to diplomacy , lol.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Just adding to what squeenie said, I'm also a science lover, but I believe in God at the same time. Sometimes it can be pretty hard to reconcile the two.
But like you've both said, I try to question everything and not just take it as fact because someone tells me to. I think thats a good way to go about things, personally =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)