RAWR! Mentors and Mentor Leaders unite! (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Me at 8:15 -- Hey, [mentor], could you please go up to the bus stop? Come down at 9ish.
[mentor] -- Nah, I thought I'd just stay here.

It was all downhill from there. :)

In no particular order:

- Lecture theatre not being open,
- some sort of gas leak,
- useless mentors who didn't do what they were told,
- useless mentors with no initiative ('I waited at Mac theatre for you, but you never came, so I sent my students home...'),
- lecture theatre then being used for 20 mins too late,
- lecture theatre then being used for another 20 mins for question time, despite the academic being told,
- about 50% of mentors not doing what they were told,
- people who were doing talks cancelling, re-scheduling, then never arriving,
- having to do the entire MC bit, despite arranging what to do with another leader,
- another leader being totally useless, and then arguing (over the mic) with myself and the convener of the transition program,
- said leader leaving their group, losing 4 of them, then passing them off in the middle of the tour to an already over-studented mentor,
- having quite possibly the worst group in history -- I had the loudest, most rude, ignorant bastard of all time. After being told to 'shush', 'please be quite', 'hey, shuttup', 'really, if you don't want to be here, that's fine', 'if you don't want to be here, please piss off. You're disturbing the whole group', this bastard yelled out 'ECHO!' at the top of his lungs during the library tour, consistently pointed out random things to the entire group, constantly interrupted me, started 'dance-walking', and then went on to tell pointless 'jokes' about dogs being run over. On top of this, the quiet member of the group (who never said a word up to this point) burst out laughing for five whole minutes at the 'joke' about the dog being run over. It was absolutely manic,
- except for 2 people, noone in my 18 person group remembered anything. After walking out of W6B at 4:30, I ran into a girl who who had been lost since 2 pm, she was looking at her campus guide... She couldn't find the busses. a) I had shown her not only the bus stops, but HER bus stop during the tour, b) she 'couldn't find the map' -- SHE WAS LOOKING AT THE WRONG FUCKING SIDE OF THE CAMPUS GUIDE!!!!

*dies*

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
N/A
awww poor Rob *hugs*

My most stressful part of the day was actually having to deal with the fact that stuff was going on, and I couldn't be as involved/paranoid as I liked due to skits and unforseen circumstances (such as my precious mentee tally sheet DISAPPEARING). I also feel a bit guilty for 'ditching' my other mentors for much of the day... but I think they went alright without me. If anything they might even had done better - I was pretty scattered and stressed out until mentoring time lol

We had some very minor issues with groups (WAY too many media mentors lol) and the fact that I CAN'T COUNT lol (Phil: "as you can see, STAT170 isn't one of the prescribed units at SCMP" <-- gold) but other than that, had a good time... had a small group of six and whilst some of them were quiet everyone seemed to get along pretty well. I told them all to email me, bribed them with an email 'quiz', with a massive Tobleone or bottle of white wine or $10 worth of confectionary of their choice to the winner. This had better work :p

all in all had a pretty good day :)

X

xeuyrawp

glitterfairy said:
bribed them with an email 'quiz', with a massive Tobleone or bottle of white wine or $10 worth of confectionary of their choice to the winner. This had better work :p
Ah, clever!

I'm just emailing them all and asking them all to respond, so I know that they're getting the emails.

HSC
N/A
bahaha I'm writing up the list of quiz questions at the moment.

This is going to be funny.

KevinRoseFanBoi

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Haha, well a) I don't think it's right. If the women's collective wants to help women, they need to get real. Women and women-friendly guys should be allowed in there, otherwise it just creates further segregation and does not educate those who need to be educated: Guys.
Right on big daddy, but that is only one of the many hypocrasies (sp? is it even a word i just made that up) of feminism.

And woot! I get to mentor tomorrow have no idea where I'm meant to go in the morning, though I guess I'll just ask a first year if they are lost and follow them.

HSC
N/A
apparently ICS is in W5AT1, ACST is in C5CT2 and L&P is in C5CT1.

according to my skit schedule, anyway.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
glitterfairy said:
Yeah, managing all the mentors outside while Phil and Ness were inside for presentations, then trying to get the numbers and allocation of mentors, and in the middle dealing with a whole lecture full of International students asking if they were at the right place, and then dealing with them, forgetting about setting up morning tea because of them and having to send the mentors in for tips, then cutting myself on boxes packing up.

Yeah, I hate Macquarie International right now.

KevinRoseFanBoi

HSC
glitterfairy said:
apparently ICS is in W5AT1, ACST is in C5CT2 and L&P is in C5CT1.

according to my skit schedule, anyway.
Awesome, thanks.

BTW I'm designing your alarm clock article atm.

KevinRoseFanBoi

HSC
glitterfairy said:
OH designing?! what do you mean?

Please make it look cute :D
I'm trying to but it fits really snuggly into one page, so snuggly infact that there is no room left at all, so the cuteness has to be compact.

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Me at 8:15 -- Hey, [mentor], could you please go up to the bus stop? Come down at 9ish.
[mentor] -- Nah, I thought I'd just stay here.

It was all downhill from there. :)

In no particular order:

- Lecture theatre not being open,
- some sort of gas leak,
- useless mentors who didn't do what they were told,
- useless mentors with no initiative ('I waited at Mac theatre for you, but you never came, so I sent my students home...'),
- lecture theatre then being used for 20 mins too late,
- lecture theatre then being used for another 20 mins for question time, despite the academic being told,
- about 50% of mentors not doing what they were told,
- people who were doing talks cancelling, re-scheduling, then never arriving,
- having to do the entire MC bit, despite arranging what to do with another leader,
- another leader being totally useless, and then arguing (over the mic) with myself and the convener of the transition program,
- said leader leaving their group, losing 4 of them, then passing them off in the middle of the tour to an already over-studented mentor,
- having quite possibly the worst group in history -- I had the loudest, most rude, ignorant bastard of all time. After being told to 'shush', 'please be quite', 'hey, shuttup', 'really, if you don't want to be here, that's fine', 'if you don't want to be here, please piss off. You're disturbing the whole group', this bastard yelled out 'ECHO!' at the top of his lungs during the library tour, consistently pointed out random things to the entire group, constantly interrupted me, started 'dance-walking', and then went on to tell pointless 'jokes' about dogs being run over. On top of this, the quiet member of the group (who never said a word up to this point) burst out laughing for five whole minutes at the 'joke' about the dog being run over. It was absolutely manic,
- except for 2 people, noone in my 18 person group remembered anything. After walking out of W6B at 4:30, I ran into a girl who who had been lost since 2 pm, she was looking at her campus guide... She couldn't find the busses. a) I had shown her not only the bus stops, but HER bus stop during the tour, b) she 'couldn't find the map' -- SHE WAS LOOKING AT THE WRONG FUCKING SIDE OF THE CAMPUS GUIDE!!!!

*dies*
Awww, you poor thing :( Luckily I only had three people in my group so it was easy to manage. They were all English student students anyway :eek: It was annoying however to do the library tour with them as I was constantly clashing with other mentor groups. After finishing the tour, they decided to go home instead of getting free sandwiches at the sam bar, so I finished mentoring at 1pm. Btw Rob, I think you forgot to list the Chancellor not showing up at the orientation (if they did though, I don’t remember seeing them anyway!) :p

HSC
N/A
massive fail to whoever organised enrollment/orientation day this year, by the way.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'll be writing a massive complaint letter to someone.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
PwarYuex said:

*dies*
:rofl: :rofl: we have a bright bunch of first years this year!

i don't understand people who are supposed to be helping out but but do something completely different to what they are asked :confused:, really it's not that hard, at least do something remotely close to what you were asked :burn:

glitterfairy said:
but other than that, had a good time... had a small group of six and whilst some of them were quiet everyone seemed to get along pretty well. I told them all to email me, bribed them with an email 'quiz', with a massive Tobleone or bottle of white wine or $10 worth of confectionary of their choice to the winner. This had better work :p
you sound like an awesome leader, i wish mine were so enthusiastic, i have so many questions i'd like to ask them now!!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think we had a good crew in SCMP, probably saved me from snapping at some Internationals.

^___^
HSC
glitterfairy said:
massive fail to whoever organised enrollment/orientation day this year, by the way.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'll be writing a massive complaint letter to someone.
talk to sandie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)