RAWR! Mentors and Mentor Leaders unite! (1 Viewer)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Me at 8:15 -- Hey, [mentor], could you please go up to the bus stop? Come down at 9ish.
[mentor] -- Nah, I thought I'd just stay here.

It was all downhill from there. :)

In no particular order:

- Lecture theatre not being open,
- some sort of gas leak,
- useless mentors who didn't do what they were told,
- useless mentors with no initiative ('I waited at Mac theatre for you, but you never came, so I sent my students home...'),
- lecture theatre then being used for 20 mins too late,
- lecture theatre then being used for another 20 mins for question time, despite the academic being told,
- about 50% of mentors not doing what they were told,
- people who were doing talks cancelling, re-scheduling, then never arriving,
- having to do the entire MC bit, despite arranging what to do with another leader,
- another leader being totally useless, and then arguing (over the mic) with myself and the convener of the transition program,
- said leader leaving their group, losing 4 of them, then passing them off in the middle of the tour to an already over-studented mentor,
- having quite possibly the worst group in history -- I had the loudest, most rude, ignorant bastard of all time. After being told to 'shush', 'please be quite', 'hey, shuttup', 'really, if you don't want to be here, that's fine', 'if you don't want to be here, please piss off. You're disturbing the whole group', this bastard yelled out 'ECHO!' at the top of his lungs during the library tour, consistently pointed out random things to the entire group, constantly interrupted me, started 'dance-walking', and then went on to tell pointless 'jokes' about dogs being run over. On top of this, the quiet member of the group (who never said a word up to this point) burst out laughing for five whole minutes at the 'joke' about the dog being run over. It was absolutely manic,
- except for 2 people, noone in my 18 person group remembered anything. After walking out of W6B at 4:30, I ran into a girl who who had been lost since 2 pm, she was looking at her campus guide... She couldn't find the busses. a) I had shown her not only the bus stops, but HER bus stop during the tour, b) she 'couldn't find the map' -- SHE WAS LOOKING AT THE WRONG FUCKING SIDE OF THE CAMPUS GUIDE!!!!

*dies*
Ouch. that sounds like you had a prety bad day. Can't get over the mentors not doing what they are told. I think that would have been very frustrating.

I was at uni yesterday and today for a few things. I saw the mentors doing tours both day. They looked like they were doing a good job. What i noticed most is that they were all doing it 1 mentor per group (not 2 mentors per group), which is what sandie really wanted. I found that pretty cool.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
The psychology and Lingusitics Orientation went pretty well today.

Only things that didn't go too smoothly was the set-up of the morning tea. We had four tables, two with drinks, two with biscuits, but we had to move them around because of the small space area. Also we were a little unprepared at 300 people moving out all at once when getting into mentor groups. We had to get them to sit down and sandie had to take charge with breaking down the numbers. The leader that did the overall introductions of the day did brilliantly.

Unfortunately I, and several leaders, didn't get a group this year as there were enough mentors. We walked around a bit but the groups were doing fine and so we ended up walking up and down the lines for student central and the SES to see if anyone was lost or could be helped in the line (some poor people were waiting on the really long -payments-line until we told them they could go straight in for enquiries).

Oh, and Lynny's skit was groovy. :)

Now to go to sleep.

Kegs

HSC
Lynn, fear not, there will be a meeting with Sandie about the enrolment hassles, where all who wish can go along and voice there concerns (ie. official bitching session, where we can put forward ideas we discussed the other day at E7B courtyard.) Sandie will take what we say to the review of enrolment by the powers that be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)