Realisation of the amount that could have been done (1 Viewer)

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
By your logic, if the top student in Chemistry achieved 96 and the top student in Physics only scored 78, I could conclude that Physics will "ruin" one's ATAR.
It probably would. My mate Dave was around 85+ for all his subjects (Chemistry, Mathematics, Mathematics Ext 1 & 2, Engineering etc) but only achieved 75 in Standard English. His ATAR was around 90. If he'd done just 5-10 marks better in Standard his ATAR would have jumped phenomenally.

To explain further, I know a lot of people who achieved reasonable marks in easy courses (65-80 in Food Tech, Physical Education, etc) yet their ATARS were in the 30s and 40s.

Fucking up in easy courses will rape your ATAR.

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
It probably would. My mate Dave was around 85+ for all his subjects (Chemistry, Mathematics, Mathematics Ext 1 & 2, Engineering etc) but only achieved 75 in Standard English. His ATAR was around 90. If he'd done just 5-10 marks better in Standard his ATAR would have jumped phenomenally.

To explain further, I know a lot of people who achieved reasonable marks in easy courses (65-80 in Food Tech, Physical Education, etc) yet their ATARS were in the 30s and 40s.

Fucking up in easy courses will rape your ATAR.
We were comparing subjects which are meant to be similar in difficulty i.e. Gen Maths/Std English, Chem/Physics.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
I am in the same boat!
Can anyone who aced the hsc please reassure us :D?
Well i didn't ace the hsc, but rest assured the vast majority probs did little to no work during the holidays

as long as you're back to work when the first wave of assignments hits, you'll be fine

Aquablack

Banned
HSC
Well i didn't ace the hsc, but rest assured the vast majority probs did little to no work during the holidays

as long as you're back to work when the first wave of assignments hits, you'll be fine
You're done really well, and I bet I studied more than you did

Aquablack

Banned
HSC
Gen Maths and Std English have similar scaled means, so does Chem and Physics.
Thats the thing though, they tend not to apparently. Did you notice the ranking difference in my post? Re-read it again. Theres something VERY wrong with standard english's scaling, much, much worse even than general maths!

HSC
Uni Grad
Thats the thing though, they tend not to apparently. Did you notice the ranking difference in my post? Re-read it again. Theres something VERY wrong with standard english's scaling, much, much worse even than general maths!
According to the UAC scaling reports, the same proportion of students in both courses achieved a scaled mark greater than 45/50. In both courses, only 0.01% of students achieved a scaled mark greater than 45/50.

Your school's 2010 cohort was an exception, your Gen Maths cohort was very good and your Std English cohort was fairly average. You cannot draw a logical conclusion from your school alone, that "Theres something VERY wrong with standard english's scaling".

Aquablack

Banned
HSC
According to the UAC scaling reports, the same proportion of students in both courses achieved a scaled mark greater than 45/50. In both courses, only 0.01% of students achieved a scaled mark greater than 45/50.

Your school's 2010 cohort was an exception, your Gen Maths cohort was very good and your Std English cohort was fairly average. You cannot draw a logical conclusion from your school alone, that "Theres something VERY wrong with standard english's scaling".
What school did I go to? How do you know?

HSC
Uni Grad
What school did I go to? How do you know?
You said you were ranked 15/66 at your school and achieved a mark of 93, this is a very good mark in Gen Maths and I can only assume someone got higher (considering your rank). The student who was ranked 1/60 in Std Eng only scored 75, I would consider this a fairly average mark for someone ranked 1st.

From this information, I can conclude that your Gen Maths cohort was very good and your Std Eng cohort was average/poor.

Aquablack

Banned
HSC
You said you were ranked 15/66 at your school and achieved a mark of 93, this is a very good mark in Gen Maths and I can only assume someone got higher (considering your rank). The student who was ranked 1/60 in Std Eng only scored 75, I would consider this a fairly average mark for someone ranked 1st.

From this information, I can conclude that your Gen Maths cohort was very good and your Std Eng cohort was average/poor.
My apologies Im sleeepy..

Yes, you're correct :) we must've had a horrible standard english cohort, or my friend never told me what examination mark he got for a reason

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
I am in the same boat!
Can anyone who aced the hsc please reassure us :D?
I didn't ace it, but I did well with little to no study and an attendance rate of ~65%

The most important thing is to read your syllabus and learn the shit you need to learn. A lot of the stuff you'll go through in class is pointless and can be forgotten.

TL : DR - Learn only what you need to. Do only what you need to.

Aquablack

Banned
HSC
I didn't ace it, but I did well with little to no study and an attendance rate of ~65%

The most important thing is to read your syllabus and learn the shit you need to learn. A lot of the stuff you'll go through in class is pointless and can be forgotten.

He's got a good point. You're much better off spending all that time in school just memorising what each dot point in the syllabus means!

HSC
N/A
He's got a good point. You're much better off spending all that time in school just memorising what each dot point in the syllabus means!
the dot point means what you learn in class.

strange thing, in my hsc physics exam in 2009 I was reading one of the multi choice questions and I instantly remembered straight back to the lesson that we covered that dot point in. I could even like hear my teachers voice in my mind and could remember the exact words she said when she was teaching it, quite a weird experience actually.

Aquablack

Banned
HSC
the dot point means what you learn in class.

strange thing, in my hsc physics exam in 2009 I was reading one of the multi choice questions and I instantly remembered straight back to the lesson that we covered that dot point in. I could even like hear my teachers voice in my mind and could remember the exact words she said when she was teaching it, quite a weird experience actually.
Yes it does, but you'll remember much more reading the sentence over and over than hearing it from your teacher in just 1 lesson. I couldnt remember much from class during my hsc exam, dunno how it worked for you.

TutoringHSC

HSC
N/A
Anybody else just coming to see how many hours they wasted these holidays?!

I'm not saying I did nothing, but compared to the amount of time we had, I barely scratched the surface of what I could have.

Best feeling haha :S

eeeeep
It's ok. Still got another holiday to do some work lol

riots

HSC
N/A
Yes it does, but you'll remember much more reading the sentence over and over than hearing it from your teacher in just 1 lesson. I couldnt remember much from class during my hsc exam, dunno how it worked for you.
He didn't say he did the whole exam on solely the preparation he did in class. Also, class is meant to introduce content in the syllabus, and your teacher has no reason to teach you anything outside of it, so when you go home and study you spend less time 'reading the sentence over and over'.

Also, yeah, I am kind of kicking myself now for not getting work done in these last 5 or so weeks; time to make up for it now, I suppose.

Last edited:

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
^this.

for eg I never studied the 2nd half of the textbook for Legal Studies.. didnt even touch it; since i knew that the latter half of the exam would be composed of two regurgitated essays anyway

Also a good memory helps heaps. You'll be surprised how much you can cram when you srsly need to

editav

HSC
Uni Grad
I know! Urgh but there wasnt anything to really do anyways , revise notes - sure but overall you'd have forgotten it close to half yearlies/yearlies anyways -.-.;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)