Really want to do HSC extension math! (1 Viewer)

ptrgrgry

HSC
I'm in year 11, and I only do the 2U Mathematics course but I really want to do extension math in the HSC year because:

I have attained such high grades in the 2U course;
I am very interested in math;
I don't get nearly enough math work. I am craving for more!
I want to study math/economics at uni.

Is there any possible way that I can study ext. math in year 12, even though I havn't done so for year 11? Maybe like a bridging course or something?

I don't want to get to uni and be creamed by all the 4U math kids when I have only done 2U!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm in year 11, and I only do the 2U Mathematics course but I really want to do extension math in the HSC year because:

Is there any possible way that I can study ext. math in year 12, even though I havn't done so for year 11? Maybe like a bridging course or something?

I don't want to get to uni and be creamed by all the 4U math kids when I have only done 2U!
You school should allow you take up the Extension 1 Mathematics unit if you accelerate the course. I have accelerated the entire course myself... it was hard, but rewarding (since you will only do the Ext. 1 accelerated and not 2U as well at super speeds... then it may be easier). It seems you enjoy maths and you would have the aptitude for acceleration :D...

I'm very sure you'd cope with doing the Maths Extension accelerated in the one year. It is rewarding.

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
You could. Depends on your school.

How easy is it to convince your maths department? Mine are harsh. By the way, this will be one of the hardest things you'll ever do. Catching up on a year of Ext 1 work, on top of your 2 unit....

But by all means, go ahead. I feel your pain.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
A bit too late isn't it?

There'd be quite alot of catching up... I mean angle between 2 lines, a point that divides a line into a given ratio, circle geometry, general solutions, trig results, polynomials... You'd need to work extra hard this term.

lychnobity

HSC
A bit too late isn't it?

There'd be quite alot of catching up... I mean angle between 2 lines, a point that divides a line into a given ratio, circle geometry, general solutions, trig results, polynomials... You'd need to work extra hard this term.
Eh, he/she can catch up.

Three of the more relevant ones up there are just about memorising a formula

Polynomials can be done in 2 days

Uncle

Banned
HSC

no you DON'T need 3u maths for that part highlighted in bold.

because you wont be using the Newton-Raphson root finding method to find curves of flying money lol.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Polynomials can be done in 2 days
I disagree. There's quite alot to polynomials. ie, double roots, long division and finding relationships between roots and coefficents, and getting the hang of finding possible rational zeros. It can get quite tricky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)