Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides for Preliminary HSC? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: best legal books / syllabus change

Oh you go to Girraween? I have a friend, well, acquaintance, who goes there. She complains that there is no air conditioning.

We just laugh at her and say how we purposely get detentions to sit in the air conditioned rooms in the middle of summer =P

Anyways, you should note the 'Workplace' option on the Excel book is dated, and doesn't cover all the options, just the three or four or so major ones. ;)

mioumiou

HSC
Re: Which book is more helpful??

Thanks for giving all of the advice guys!! I will try to get them as much as possible!!

bob fossil

HSC
maths text books

What is the best text book for MX2?

I want worked solutions and clear examples without the easy steps left out.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: maths text books

Worked solutions and clear examples without the easy steps left out?

Uhh, they'd probably be the study guides like Excel - but I've been told they are a waste of time.

Just get Cambridge and Fitzpatrick. It'll set you back $120 for a brand new copy though.

SImon05089

HSC

If you can, you should get your hands on FitzPatrick books. They are the bomb. There are 2, 3 and 4 Unit in 3 different books - 3 different colours. Look for them! I advise you to buy from people here (BOS) because in the shops, they are like $70! Sorry, I don't know about you, but I am not willing to pay that much! =)!

ValentinesM

HSC

What is the best text book for MX2?

I want worked solutions and clear examples without the easy steps left out.
Hi bob fossil,

I'd say Terry Lee.
The explanations are clear, easy to follow and it also contains fully worked out solutions. The questions themselves range from basic ones to more challenging ones.

ValentinesM

HSC
Re: what books should i buy for the pre-lim course?

hey,

maths 3u: cambridge --> questions range from easy to difficult and there are plenty of questions to keep you busy. however, you might also need another book for the explanations because the explanations and examples in cambridge aren't particularly fabulous.

chem: conquering chem if you're learning something for the first time. it is pretty reader-friendly. however, once you get the hang of the concepts, you should consult jarcaranda and context for more in-depth knowledge. there is also another book by roland smith called Problems in Chemistry which you should try to get hold of because as the name suggests, it is a book of chemistry problems divided into topics and then further divided into different difficulty levels, eg naming compounds, calculating moles, molar heat of combustion, etc.

good luck

ValentinesM

HSC
Re: what books should i buy for the pre-lim course?

as for advanced english, which modules are you doing? which belonging texts have you got already?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Or maybe even Coroneos. But their layout is... not very aesthetically pleasing.

spammy679

MLIA
HSC

is Patel good compared to other MX2 books?
my school uses it but im not too sure its helpful

SImon05089

HSC
Re: Which book is more helpful??

Thanks for giving all of the advice guys!! I will try to get them as much as possible!!
hey mioumiou,

Just a tip, if you don't mind second-hand, you should buy the books from here! i brought a few in BoS, it's really cheap. Seriously I don't know why, i'm just crazy, but i brought for all the Excel Preliminary books needed for next year, the subjects are in my sig, you can count, there are like 7, i already brought 6!

But anyways the price, in the shops, they are around $25-$30, well at least $25, so times that by 6, that is already $150, and i bought all 6 for roughly $50, I saved $100!! and the books are in great condition!

I just brought the excel just as a reference sort of book, i don't want to buy actual real textbook that contains all the detailed information yet, because I haven't even started year 11 yet and using my schools textbook would be enough!

Well, i don't know what is the point of my post, but anyways, sorry for the long post =)

Good luck with your future studies! I will be competing against all of you!!
really hope i can achieve my goals and make my parents happy =) you too guys =)!!

Laters!! ;)

Ice Goddess

HSC
Hi all!
I've perservered through soo many pages of the thread but still ended pressing last page. I tried! As far as I've seen not that much has been said about Legal, Ec, Modern history? A lot seems to be maths and chem centred.

I'm starting preliminary courses in the coming year, but hsc advice is greatly appreciated too!

Does anyone have any advice on study guides on:
Modern History
Economics
Legal Studies - I have been reading Excel atm and I think its pretty good? I have heard some ppl say the opposite earlier in this thread though.

I don't mind detail, as long as its GOOD and everything I need is there, pref. under the syllabus points. I'm aiming for law...so yeah...good marks are obviously essential so I'd do whatever it takes. :spin:

PLEASE share some experience and help, cos I just realised that HSC is in like 1 and a half years away. I know some may say i'm being stupid, but I am determined to get into law.

I've got all band 6's in SC and mostly A's except for PDHPE, geez anyway. So yeah, I'm the type who really wants to ace my subject if possible (and have proven that I can do so, unless I start procrastinating... oh mannn, I hope I don't do that next year. I'm big on cramming too, which I tell myself not to do, but end up doing anyway...)so I'm starting early.

Do you have any advice to give on preparation/how to do well in these subjects? I'm especially worried about Economics. Is it a theory based subject? Because I do better in those- the ones that need you to recall knowledge/facts and write good extended responses.

Also, does it help if you've got great Prelim knowledge when it comes to the actual HSC?

I'm also doing Ext maths and English, but i assume studying for those subjects will be standard stuff?

THANKS and sorry for the longish post!

HSC
Buying Prelim. Books

Hi, I'm looking at buying prelim. books.
Which ones would be the best and do you know if anyone is selling them cheap?
Thanks.

K

khorne

Re: Buying Prelim. Books

Wait until the school gives you your textbooks...usually you won't need additional ones...Also, it's best to save up and spend a lot on HSC textbooks.

mioumiou

HSC
Re: Buying Prelim. Books

Hey SImon05089!! It's okay for the long post, your adivce really helps!! I've bought some books from BOS website too!! They're cheaper and better condition than some other second hand bookshops. Good luck with your studies too!

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
For prelim's I think I might just buy a Macquarie book for 3unit. LOL. I have to still finish my year 10 course (the last chapter) because I had to help organise the formal =.=

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
Book shopping tomorrow. Where is the best place in sydney CBD to buy books for Prelim?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)