related texts for romanticism (1 Viewer)

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I was thinking of Sean Penn's 'Into The Wild'...
any help would be appreciated, i have 2 weeks to get it done.
Maybe a painting also.

Mmmmmm..

To be able to use a non-Romantic text as a related text is a bit of a risk, is it not?
After all, you're trying to prove ways of thinking, and unless your argument is 'The Romantic way of thinking has permeated into 21st century society', then I don't see how you'll be able to make links that aren't tenuous.

If you're set on doing a film, go and hire 'Pandaemonium'. Even though its a film, its based on the lives of Coleridge and Shelley. I'm not using it personally, but it'd be a good text to use.

danal353

HSC
from the top of head:

edgar alan poe's stories
sorrows of young werther
the humpback of notre dame
faux - the play
wordsworth poetry
percy shelley's poetry
william blake's poetry
Byron's poetry
some people have used the declaration of independence by thomas jefferson

seriously there are heaps, just google it

anardi

HSC
Our class kind of did the whole related text thing in 2008... got them out of the way early. Back then I did Pan's Labyrinth and Donnie Darko. Two great movies :). A lot of good Romantic tenets and stuff as well... generally speaking, lol.

We also did Wuthering Heights, Northanger Abbey and Keats' poems...

MrsLucia

HSC
Mmmmmm..

To be able to use a non-Romantic text as a related text is a bit of a risk, is it not?
After all, you're trying to prove ways of thinking, and unless your argument is 'The Romantic way of thinking has permeated into 21st century society', then I don't see how you'll be able to make links that aren't tenuous.

If you're set on doing a film, go and hire 'Pandaemonium'. Even though its a film, its based on the lives of Coleridge and Shelley. I'm not using it personally, but it'd be a good text to use.
I did end up using 'Into The Wild' - the way I saw it, it was a textbook version of Romantcism - individualism, appreciation of nature etc. It just isn't set in the time period- So I guess I was thinkning its still relevant today?
Also did an artwork which I thought was written about terribly but my tecaher loved it so shows what I know; Thomas Cole's 'The Voyage Of Life' series.

I've been encouraged to get a few more though-
I honestly think Extension One doesn't carry enough weighting; it has been the single hugest user of my time since Year 10 and its only one unit?
Maybe its just my teacher though.

stepphhh

HSC
it's good to have something not set in the actual itself, were meant to explore romanticism through a variety of mediums and contexts, it will lift your response to apply the romantic way of the thinking a modern time period, i'm trying to find a more modern text now, i have a poem of shelley's and an artwork but i feel like i'm restricting myself a bit, i want a text that has a good general romantic approach

LynFay

HSC
Jellybelly, is that lelouch's hand spinning the chess piece around? :) I love him.

Anywho, i'm in need of romanticism texts over the holidays too. Help is awesome.

Um. I was thinking maybe something by Victor Hugo or Nathaniel Hawthorne or E. T. A. Hoffmann?

XFatimaX

HSC
Romanticism Supplementary Text List, hope this will be helpful. :)

Poetry:
Walt Whitman
P.B Shelley
William Wordsworth
Robert Burns
Lord Byron

Drama
Goethe J.W
Faust part 1, 1808
Faust part 2, 1832
Victor Hugo Hernani 1830

Fiction/Non fiction
Sir Walter Scott Ivanhoe, The Bride of Lammermoor
Mary Shelley The Last Man
Ann Radcliffe The Mysteries of Udolpho
Herman Melville Moby Dick
Maria Edgeworth Tales of fashionable ladies

Paintings
John Constable Brighton Beach, Chain Peir Brighton, The Leaping Horse, The Lock of Dedham
George Walker Wensley Dale Knitters, Middleton Colliery
Joseph Turner Rain, Steam and Speed, Snowstorm, Landscape with Distant River and Bay
Henry Fuesli Lady Macbeth and the Witches

Music
Ludwig van Beethoven
Frederic Chopin
Franz Schubert
Carl Marla von Weber

Films
Age of Genius (2006)
Amazing Grace < Great movie. :) (2006)
Pandemonium (2000)
Frankenstein (1994)

If you want more details regarding dates, directors, versions etc let me know. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)