• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Religion: Does It Do More Harm Than Good? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
well, lets move on to somethin more interestin, this argument isnt going anywhere and it borin, wait i will try find sometin controversial..

do you sell bibles?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
well, lets move on to somethin more interestin, this argument isnt going anywhere and it borin, wait i will try find sometin controversial..
It's a very pertanent argument to the question of whether or not religion does more harm than good - it also puts your science bashing into perspective... you have no idea what you're talking about.

davin

HSC
N/A
whats selling of bibles have to do with the topic?

though i suppose thats then conceding the hampering that science faces due to religion?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
whats selling of bibles have to do with the topic?

though i suppose thats then conceding the hampering that science faces due to religion?
no i got phamphlet that says " The bible is the best-selling book in the world" - so i was wondering do ppl sell bibles?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
It's a very pertanent argument to the question of whether or not religion does more harm than good - it also puts your science bashing into perspective... you have no idea what you're talking about.
no i dont, but i will soon. :santa:

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I have my bible from high school you can have if you want. FOR FREE. It's all scribbled and doodled in though.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Lundy said:
I have my bible from high school you can have if you want. FOR FREE. It's all scribbled and doodled in though.
u still have it from high school?.. dedication..

stainmepink

HSC
soha said:
seriously...i cant wait to die
it wont be sad
it will only be the beginning and you will see eventually
we all will
yaaaay

someones had too much pot

aussiebogan

HSC
N/A
I believe that the Bible is a part of something that is within ourselves and thus throwing it away would close away a part of our inner self to others. I say Good For You Lundy! You show great respect and belief in your God and that I have much respect for. I only hope, in the future, that I too will show that much respect as well.

davin

HSC
N/A
aussiebogan said:
I believe that the Bible is a part of something that is within ourselves and thus throwing it away would close away a part of our inner self to others. I say Good For You Lundy! You show great respect and belief in your God and that I have much respect for. I only hope, in the future, that I too will show that much respect as well.
great respect and belief in God is shown by having a bible scribbled and doodled in that she's offering up if someone wants it?
doesn't quite add up

aussiebogan

HSC
N/A
Great respect is when you true believe you are a true blue aussie and worship this great land. Similarly if you believe that you honour the bible then you have great respect for it. Scribbles can not cover up such a great symbol of Aussie culture, as burning the flag can not burn our hearts.

Last edited:

Lundy

Banned
HSC
davin said:
great respect and belief in God is shown by having a bible scribbled and doodled in that she's offering up if someone wants it?
doesn't quite add up
Yeah if I'd really had a care about religious education I probably wouldn't have defaced christianity's holy book out of sheer boredom.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
My strategy:

- Teach society how to think critically.
- Put in place measures to stop all forms of childhood indoctrination.
- The end to religion will come naturally.

i was going to uts when this guy handed me a phamplet outsidde central

he seemed weird
i thought he was a christian coz they usually hand out phamplets.

but this guy was weird- unusual coz he wasnt the smiley type of christian (some of em can be grinchy smiley- ive met one of them... maybe it was a natural thing)

this guy eyed me with this weird look on his face- and im like okay mate your not gonna convert me to ur life of misery and frowning :mad1: - ill stay being :) thnx!

i got the phamlet and it said something about heaven- so i thought o he must be a fundie christian who hates me coz im a muslim with a (small goatie) beard or something-

i couldnt figure out why the huge frown and eyeballing....

and later on i read the title and then said: "OOOOOOOOOOO he's an athiest"

it all made perfect sense now~ :sleep: the phamlet was criticizing christian values and ofcourse we ALL know that athiests are the humanitarians in this world so yeah... heads up for world peace.

Athiest indoctrination. But did it matter if it was athiest or christian in the end?
i couldnt tell one from the other - they were out there promoting what they believed in and whilst theres nothing wrong with that- the athiest guy was saying to people that the majority of people in these countries hold absurd beliefs that are unacceptable to follow.

im not saying that all athiests are frownies and brownies- just this bloke- like christian groups would have an agenda to spread the "message of hope and to love the Lord" and carry on the works of Christ. but wat do these people have?

oh no! do they actually care for my well being? are they soo concerned that i am following a religion that they dont agree with at all (assuming im christian)? do they really care if im gonna blow myself up? :bomb:

what the hell would motivate them to undermine christianity- not that i care- but
it struck me as odd as ive never come across an evangelical athiest in the streets.

to me its just narrow mindedness on their behalf...
-------------------------------

Not-That-Bright said:
My strategy:

- Teach society how to think critically.
- Put in place measures to stop all forms of childhood indoctrination.
- The end to religion will come naturally.
teach people to be open minded- dont stay onto one religion or lack of religion and not know what the hell other people are doing with life.

teach people not to be emotional but rational and be investigative in social problems and moreover do something about social perils- at least we'll get something done about it! critical thinking is useless if it just brings new ideas but no action.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
i was going to uts when this guy handed me a phamplet outsidde central

he seemed weird
i thought he was a christian coz they usually hand out phamplets.

but this guy was weird- unusual coz he wasnt the smiley type of christian (some of em can be grinchy smiley- ive met one of them... maybe it was a natural thing)

this guy eyed me with this weird look on his face- and im like okay mate your not gonna convert me to ur life of misery and frowning - ill stay being thnx!

i got the phamlet and it said something about heaven- so i thought o he must be a fundie christian who hates me coz im a muslim with a (small goatie) beard or something-

i couldnt figure out why the huge frown and eyeballing....

and later on i read the title and then said: "OOOOOOOOOOO he's an athiest"

it all made perfect sense now~ the phamlet was criticizing christian values and ofcourse we ALL know that athiests are the humanitarians in this world so yeah... heads up for world peace.

Athiest indoctrination. But did it matter if it was athiest or christian in the end?
i couldnt tell one from the other - they were out there promoting what they believed in and whilst theres nothing wrong with that- the athiest guy was saying to people that the majority of people in these countries hold absurd beliefs that are unacceptable to follow.

im not saying that all athiests are frownies and brownies- just this bloke- like christian groups would have an agenda to spread the "message of hope and to love the Lord" and carry on the works of Christ. but wat do these people have?

oh no! do they actually care for my well being? are they soo concerned that i am following a religion that they dont agree with at all (assuming im christian)? do they really care if im gonna blow myself up?

what the hell would motivate them to undermine christianity- not that i care- but
it struck me as odd as ive never come across an evangelical athiest in the streets.

to me its just narrow mindedness on their behalf...
Um yah, nice story... I've never seen it before myself, but I do believe you. I still don't see your point? Narrow Mindedness? I (myself) am promoting thinking critically and using scientific method - what're you approaching?

teach people to be open minded- dont stay onto one religion or lack of religion and not know what the hell other people are doing with life.

teach people not to be emotional but rational and be investigative in social problems and moreover do something about social perils- at least we'll get something done about it! critical thinking is useless if it just brings new ideas but no action.
Your entire post seems to add nothing to what I said or criticise it... I have no idea what you're going on about but I think I gather that you believe atheism is about indoctrination or something? While this is possible (it is possible that some atheists have been brought up as such...) I think you'll find the overwhelming majority of atheists are former-believers or come from a family which believes.

Anyway the post you quoted was me explaining how I am against telling people to be atheist (it's no better than what you religious types do) but to teach critical thinking / scientific method better.

Generator

HSC
N/A
The atheists are out to get you, mr eazy! Run and hide!

Critical thinking (no matter where it is directed) and never useless, and neither are 'useless' ideas (uselss ideas are not useless... Great stuff, I must say).

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The athiests are out to get you, mr eazy! Run and hide!
I know! Atheism is so pervasive in our society!

- You can't go into any major town without seeing their buildings of worship.
- You can't turn on the TV early in the morning without seeing their evil messages.
- Atheists constantly door knock!
- There are like sooooo many atheists in parliament.
- The atheist angle has to be shown for news broadcasts.
- In court people take oaths on darwins: The origin of species..

... man I can just keep on going about how pervasive atheism is in our society! FKN ATHEISTS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)