• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Religion: Does It Do More Harm Than Good? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
HotShot said:
yeh not necessarily. chemistry doesnt really involve evolution to such extent. It being used to prove evolution though. u got it the other way round, these sciences are being used to prove evolution,

astronomy = ?
Yes these science are being used to prove evolution... so if evolution is wrong then these sciences must be wrong because it is their techniques which prove evolution. Astronomy has to do with the age of the earth, commets etc.

davin

HSC
N/A
astronomy is big bang, not evolution.
or well, i guess you could technically count comets brining water under evolution, but its a stretch.
similarly, its chemistry, working with the astronomy, thats led to much of the formation of big bang theory. astronomy is HEAVILY tied to chemistry

davin

HSC
N/A
yeah, but astronomy doesn't cover the earth's age, geology does. astro doesn't back up the earth's age, though it does give an age for the sun

anyway, not debating the direction of your arguement, not-that-bright.....just removing the little cracks they'd try to exploit to dodge real issue

anyway, does underscore the point that religion, or at least some interpretations of it, do hurt religion.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
yeah, but astronomy doesn't cover the earth's age, geology does. astro doesn't back up the earth's age, though it does give an age for the sun

anyway, not debating the direction of your arguement, not-that-bright.....just removing the little cracks they'd try to exploit to dodge real issue

anyway, does underscore the point that religion, or at least some interpretations of it, do hurt religion.
lol NTB astronomy is about stars and milky ways,

evolution only concerns biology, all other science have very little or nothing to do with evolution. it is only biology that is involved with evolution. if evolution didnt exist the sciences would still be there. Remember it was only Darwin who came up with concept prior to him, science was still going strong.

davin

HSC
N/A
lol NTB astronomy is about stars and milky ways,
thats about as accurate as saying world politics is about things like Germanies.

now, i'm not sure why you quote what I said, considering the point i made there was specifically that while astronomy could only be thinly tied to evolution via comets, its heavily tied to the big bang....and we were discussing the big bang and evolution both.
as for other sciences tied to evolution...for starters, aside from biology being clearly tied to evolution, geology by way of paleontology is also a key part of the theory of evolution. so thats three sciences at that point tied to evolution. more precisely, its that those three sciences lead us to the conclusion of evolution. you can't claim to accept science but ignore the conclusions. Its like saying you believe in the premises of physics but don't think there's gravity.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Why is evolution always the first theory to come up in these religion vs science type things? I'd like to see Quantum Chromodynamics come under the same scrutiny by organised religious types.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
evolution only concerns biology, all other science have very little or nothing to do with evolution. it is only biology that is involved with evolution. if evolution didnt exist the sciences would still be there. Remember it was only Darwin who came up with concept prior to him, science was still going strong.
Evolution is backed up by these sciences - if you dismiss evolution you dismiss these sciences and how they have backed up evolution. These sciences have found things that fit in perfectly with the theory of evolution, so if you dismiss the theory of evolution you're dismissing all of the science which backs it up which is NOT just biology.

davin said:
you can't claim to accept science but ignore the conclusions. Its like saying you believe in the premises of physics but don't think there's gravity.
QFT.

All these different areas of science point towards the answer of evolution, the only way to get around this would be to a) present a more plausible answer or b) just claim that god did it (and be laughed at).

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Evolution is backed up by these sciences - if you dismiss evolution you dismiss these sciences and how they have backed up evolution. These sciences have found things that fit in perfectly with the theory of evolution, so if you dismiss the theory of evolution you're dismissing all of the science which backs it up which is NOT just biology.

QFT.
not necessarily, u dismiss evolution its like dismissing any other theory. u dismiss science well then u dismiss everything that humans have made.

evolution revolves around biological, unless u call the formation of compounds as evolution then no other science is really involved.

As for the big bang, is also a theory not entirely based on astronmy but on astrophysics.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
not necessarily, u dismiss evolution its like dismissing any other theory.
There's no way to dismiss evolution without dismissing the way in which these different sciences have come to the conclusion that evolution is correct... If you dismiss these different techniques then I think you'll find you dismiss the entire science as a field of study.

K

katie_tully

Evolution makes sense.
Stupid people breed. Their offspring is twice as dumb. They breed. Their offspring is 4x as dumb. Thus the cycle continues until you have an entire colony.
I like to refer to this as the Catholic Church effect.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
katie_tully said:
Evolution makes sense.
Stupid people breed. Their offspring is twice as dumb. They breed. Their offspring is 4x as dumb. Thus the cycle continues until you have an entire colony.
I like to refer to this as the Catholic Church effect.
Yes!
Natural selection:

Stupid people are easy slaves for the theocrats - so they live.
Intelligent people are a threat - so they die.

davin

HSC
N/A
not necessarily, u dismiss evolution its like dismissing any other theory.
and in science, theories are not "dismissed". they are replaced when a better theory happens. look at how big bang theory has replaced steady state universe, for example.

evolution relies not just on biology, but also on fossil records, and much of that is based on geology and chemistry to accurately date fossils. actually....that would probably rope in physics a bit now that i think more on that...my bad, not-that-bright.

and the big bang is based on asronomy, astrophysics, regular physics (which would encompass things like properties of light), and chemistry

davin

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Yes!
Natural selection:

Stupid people are easy slaves for the theocrats - so they live.
Intelligent people are a threat - so they die.
thats pretty darn artificial

K

katie_tully

Artificial would be if he made it up. He didn't. It's a well known fact.

davin

HSC
N/A
I didn't know you challenged physics, what I was thinking of was RCD - which I think you are now too
yeah, that should've clicked WAY faster for me, i think i just was mentally grouping it in with geology or something like that, but yeah, that definitly does add physics into the mix there.

Artificial would be if he made it up. He didn't. It's a well known fact.
i meant artificial selection

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It would be artificial because even tho the theocrats might not have known they were killing off all the smarter people, that was the result anyway... However at the same time human beings creating an environment that forces creatures to adapt is now generally considered to be natural selection because humans are counted as a part of the environment...

But anyway, back to HotShot who thinks he can just dismiss the theory of evolution and it's all ok.

davin

HSC
N/A
yeah, again.....if you accept any of the sciences, you've got to accept the conclusions from them, and/or improve them if the current theory is inadequate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)