• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Religion: Does It Do More Harm Than Good? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussiebogan

HSC
N/A
Hello Politik,
I am sorry, but you have misunderstood me. What Ii mean is that the values of this great country of ours is symbolised by the teachings of the Bible. I agree, the Bible is not Australian, but the way of life of most fair dinkum aussies are governed by its principles.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I know! Atheism is so pervasive in our society!

- You can't go into any major town without seeing their buildings of worship.
Skyscrapers with company logos? :p

Not-That-Bright said:
- You can't turn on the TV early in the morning without seeing their evil messages.
With 23 hours a day of secular programs, I think it's safe to let the evangelist nuts keep the 4 - 5pm timeslot. None of their 3 viewers take them too seriously anyway.

Not-That-Bright said:
- Atheists constantly door knock!
You know for all the stereotyping about that, never have I had this happen to me, or hear of it happening to anyone I know. Has it happened to you?

Not-That-Bright said:
- The atheist angle has to be shown for news broadcasts.
Can you explain how any religious angle 'has' to be shown on any news broadcast? Example?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
With 23 hours a day of secular programs, I think it's safe to let the evangelist nuts keep the 4 - 5pm timeslot. None of their 3 viewers take them too seriously anyway.
It's actually much less then that... then you have the news which puts on a 'supernatual' spin, tv shows like 'medium' / 'supernatual' / 'x-files' or whatever.... :)

Skyscrapers with company logos?
Um yeah atheism has shitloads to do with corporatism (no jackass)

You know for all the stereotyping about that, never have I had this happen to me, or hear of it happening to anyone I know. Has it happened to you?
Many times :/

Can you explain how any religious angle 'has' to be shown on any news broadcast? Example?
- The christian pov is regularily discussed...
- As is now the muslim pov...
- When have u ever seen a leading atheist asked for HIS pov?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
It's actually much less then that... then you have the news which puts on a 'supernatual' spin, tv shows like 'medium' / 'supernatual' / 'x-files' or whatever.... :)
Oh, right. I thought you were talking about religion. Using this definition you could include every program that was fictional, or not news/documentary.

Not-That-Bright said:
- The christian pov is regularily discussed...
- As is now the muslim pov...
- When have u ever seen a leading atheist asked for HIS pov?
Umm, unless the issue is something to do with religion or the church the news doesn't ever say "And the christian point of view on this issue is...". Plus what views do atheists have in common apart from a belief in no god? Apart from that you'd expect they'd have individual opinions on everything. Who could be classified as a "leading atheist" and how could he/she possibly be speaking on behalf of other atheists? Would you appreciate it if someone said "As atheists we believe..." and then expressed a secular opinion you disagreed with?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Oh, right. I thought you were talking about religion. Using this definition you could include every program that was fictional, or not news/documentary.
Any program that supports a supernatural view of the world - medium claims to be a true story about a real life psychic - it is bs and bulsters up this supernatural bullshit that forms a part of what believing in a religion is.

"As atheists we believe..."
An atheist or skeptical opinion on matters about hauntings or whatever would be nice :)

lala2

Banned
HSC
I think that any religion's original purpose would be to promote good citizens and followers. However, some people abuse it and say that 'my religion says so' therefore they can do whatever bad things they do--see terrorists as example. Religion is one of those ever-changing questions, and depending on how its philosophy is applied to x's life, it could be detrimental, or it could be beneficial.

davin

HSC
N/A
i think the use of the word followers is particularly telling

lala2

Banned
HSC
Well, it'd depend on the terrorist, but I would think only some would really think that they are good 'citizens' and 'followers', then others would consciously know that they are abusing whatever religion to their own ends. That's just my opinion.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
lala2 said:
Well, it'd depend on the terrorist, but I would think only some would really think that they are good 'citizens' and 'followers', then others would consciously know that they are abusing whatever religion to their own ends. That's just my opinion.
I have no idea how you could come to believe that...

davin

HSC
N/A
they're fanatical...in their view, what they're doing is perfectly justified

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
I believe that it stems from the person being too lazy or thinking that it is too selfish, based on their upbringing to search for their own identity so if they believe they are in a group they will be better off.

heybraham

HSC
in all honesty, i find asking a question like "does religion do more harm than good to mankind"? really debases humanity. religion is just like art, literature, film, music, even conversations. it's part of human nature, just like a person can appreciate the creative, intellectual engagement of our minds...religion is an essential part of culture. i'm sure if you've read violent literature u'd say "the book: does it do more harm than good?" or a better example, if you've played a gta game: "games: is it mere fun, or does it foster violence?"

it's part of humanity. and to assume we are socially and politically correct beings who are 'polite' (hah, look the word 'polite' has its roots in the word 'politics'...is politeness merely a tool for politics?) and uphold a coherent set of values, moral, beliefs, tastes, minds; is ignorant...to a certain extent.

davin

HSC
N/A
gimme large groups that base their life off of gta

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
heybraham said:
it's part of humanity. and to assume we are socially and politically correct beings who are 'polite' (hah, look the word 'polite' has its roots in the word 'politics'...is politeness merely a tool for politics?) and uphold a coherent set of values, moral, beliefs, tastes, minds; is ignorant...to a certain extent.

in the very beginning I had clearly noted this.

The only cause for which I feel religion has a place, is from the idea that a secular society would not be any better than a religious society, simply because religion is an easier measure to motivate someone to hold values. Not everyone is able to control themselves in absolute freedom
It is still an exercise of where religion stands.

It is part of human nature for us to believe in a higher being? Sure. I see the psychological urge. Although I'm not any less of a human being if I did not want to follow a religion myself. I don't, however, promote a religious free society.

It's just an open forum to discuss each individual religion and their contribution to, if you will, humanity. It is not to dismiss them all. I do see value in certain religion. Although, the concept of it has always haunted me; the idea that it promotes the "i am right" mentality.

If you frequent these forums, you'll see a good number of fundamentalists who cannot fray and open their mind more than their strict religion allows them to. Such as their disbelief in the fact that there is evidence that leans to evolution. Or the fact that non-believers MAY go to heaven, and cannot be looked down upon. Or the fact that... dare I say... might not be entirely correct on every single value that they grew up with.

Most of us understand that wiping religious is impossible and unintelligent, don't misunderstand. It stems up ideas that relate to the question, but does not push for an entire wipe out of religion, more so to push for critical thinking, open mindedness or to point out problems in certain social behaviours.

Its a healthy debate, in my personal opinion.

heybraham

HSC
well let's just say im agreeing with u inner child :wave: in a similar yet different way. i'm not debating...i'm more 'contributing'.

without creative activity, (i associate creativity to divine inspiration, something magical, something beautiful that's beyond understanding). without creativity in man, we would have nothing to talk about nothing to live for, no books no ideas no humour. we'd just work, rest and exist. religion is part of our creativity, it can nurture the very essence that makes us human, that's why religion can be a good thing, a beautiful thing. it all depends on our own interpretation of it.

to all those people who think religion is the reason for this hate, stop living in denial:

WE DON'T HATE EACH OTHER BECAUSE OF RELIGION. WE HATE EACH OTHER, BECAUSE WE HATE EACH OTHER.

Last edited:
HSC
WE DON'T HATE EACH OTHER BECAUSE OF RELIGION. WE HATE EACH OTHER, BECAUSE WE HATE EACH OTHER.
or rather...we hate each other coz we need a reason/excuse to hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)