• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Religion: Does It Do More Harm Than Good? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
katie_tully said:
And religion doesn't kill daily? Hello?

You can get it from Angus and Robertson.
hi?

only bookstore near me is dymocks (cant u get it ffrom the library, i need the money for uni books).

davin

HSC
N/A
go back a few hundred years...the average lifespan was under 40. Now, in many countries, its in the 60s and 70s.
We produce as much food as we do because of science.
We have medicines because of science.
Virtually everything you are surrounded by is a result of science to some extent.
In fact, I challenge you to name three objects you use in your day to day life that has not been improved by science.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
go back a few hundred years...the average lifespan was under 40. Now, in many countries, its in the 60s and 70s.
We produce as much food as we do because of science.
We have medicines because of science.
Virtually everything you are surrounded by is a result of science to some extent.
In fact, I challenge you to name three objects you use in your day to day life that has not been improved by science.
go back a hundred years ago, and we have our dodos, and now some of our animals are extinct.

we just about destroyed the planet earth, global warming, floods, tsunamis..

davin

HSC
N/A
tsunamis? the heck? well, good to see you're not contaminating yourself with science there. tsunamis, like eartquakes, aren't caused by us. many floods are natural, tioo.

hoshot, so you no longer go to see doctors?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
tsunamis? the heck? well, good to see you're not contaminating yourself with science there. tsunamis, like eartquakes, aren't caused by us. many floods are natural, tioo.

hoshot, so you no longer go to see doctors?
surprisingly, i havent gone for a long time. anyhow science has led to new diseases being introduced, increasing the number of fatalities.

i might go this week, i think i have herpes or gonnorhea one of the two. (can i have both?)

davin

HSC
N/A
you can't go. because its natural for you to have those diseases.

davin

HSC
N/A
well, you did say:
Deal with diseases, its natural factor, the plague was only in europe , such controls are necessary for balance.
if you get a diagnosis, thats science. if you get some sort of treatment, thats science too. the natural, non-scientific way to deal with it is to accept the disease as a punishment from god, and possibly sacrifice a couple of goats.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
well, you did say:

if you get a diagnosis, thats science. if you get some sort of treatment, thats science too. the natural, non-scientific way to deal with it is to accept the disease as a punishment from god, and possibly sacrifice a couple of goats.
or u could simply eat gud food, maintain a healthy diet and forget about science. u live if ur lucky. else u die be gud food to the ants, and other animals and be part of the natural system.

davin

HSC
N/A
where are you going to get good food and know what a healthy diet is?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
go back a hundred years ago, and we have our dodos, and now some of our animals are extinct.
We have the most ecologically diverse set of animals on the planet right now than ever before. Sure, we might be contributing to the death of different species but I'm willing to say this whole thing is overblown in its seriousness.

we just about destroyed the planet earth, global warming, floods, tsunamis..
Ok then, so you're suggesting man kind should be wiped off the face of the planet? That's nice.

or u could simply eat gud food, maintain a healthy diet and forget about science. u live if ur lucky. else u die be gud food to the ants, and other animals and be part of the natural system.
People pre-science were not eating good food, they did not have 'healthy diets' and they died very young and lived very painful harsh lives. Sounds to me like you've just got nastalgia for a time when you could push your bullshit religion on to people without it being challenged.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
HotShot said:
hello

did you read my post?

about how we now live longer because of improved hygeiene and diet reasons? Humans use to live up to 30, 40 being lucky. Now its what, 70? Almost double? Damn science. Damn science to hell for making us live so long. We should go back to our healthy diets. Native Australian food forever....

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
You actually have to go back before that, before we were even homo-sapiens.... we've had science for a very long time.

oh yeah hey like before fire...

well thats really great because fire played a huge role in our evolutionary process, considering raw meat was harder to not only digest, but chew. Eating took up hours and hours of the day, the jaw was much different in that sense.

Why I don't know how far back you want to go, Hot Shot, considering even THEY used science to tenderise their meat by their tools they created (eg hitting the meat) to make it easier for them to chew and digest.

Going way back there arent you

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Some of the earliest versions of what you might still call a human apparently threw rocks at things to hunt (humans are quite unique in our ability to throw hard and throw accurately ;) ), I wonder if even that would be considered science? Probably not - but still I'd like to know how far back hotshot wants to go.

davin

HSC
N/A
i would say we should be generous here....i'll count fire and agriculture as where science starts for food related matters
so so long as he's a hunter gatherer, its ok

HotShot

-_-
HSC
the fact remains that science continues to kill millions of people and has killed millions of people.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
HotShot said:
the fact remains that science continues to kill millions of people and has killed millions of people.
the fact remains that without science, we wouldnt even be where we are in this quality of life.

yet without religion, this quality of life is still available.

davin

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
the fact also remains has improved the lives of hundreds of millions, if not billions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)