• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Religion: Does It Do More Harm Than Good? (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Hawthorn

HSC
We <bang> just appeared over a million years out of slime and whatnot... hardly rational. Or is it that... bad things have happened which God could've stopped if he was really there? The human form, even the rock or sod of earth is far too complex to have gotten here by any other way than direct design by God. Trust me, I know what pain is... but I still believe in God... through thick and thin.

davin

HSC
N/A
What would there be without the belief in God but emptiness, materialism and corruption?
its possible to be ethical and moral without believing in god though.

and take the "is there a god" debate to its proper thread

Lord Hawthorn

HSC
Free will which is so easily twisted without the help of a higher power.

Master Gopher

HSC
:hammer:

Lord Hawthorn said:
We <bang> just appeared over a million years out of slime and whatnot... hardly rational. The human form, even the rock or sod of earth is far too complex to have gotten here by any other way than direct design by God.
This is an argument a) about science and b) about the existence of God, and creationism. Please take it to its correct thread. There I will battle with you gladly.

HSC
Lord Hawthorn said:
We <bang> just appeared over a million years out of slime and whatnot... hardly rational. Or is it that... bad things have happened which God could've stopped if he was really there? The human form, even the rock or sod of earth is far too complex to have gotten here by any other way than direct design by God. Trust me, I know what pain is... but I still believe in God... through thick and thin.
3.5 billion years, actually. And it's been scientifically shown that it was possible.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Lord Hawthorn said:
What would there be without the belief in God but emptiness, materialism and corruption?
What would there be with the belief in God but ignorance, arrogance and lack of critical thinking?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
By the way it's quite interesting that it's actually those with a belief in god that seem to be materialist and corrupt - I mean generally the people whom are screwing everyone over believe in a God.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
Saddam Hussein said:
3.5 billion years, actually. And it's been scientifically shown that it was possible.
as i said before, scientist stanley miller made organic molecules out of inorganic ones, in more simple terms these molecules can form living cells = life. he said that the atmospheric conditions at the time were suitable enough to give rise to life therefore it is a possibility.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
as i said before, scientist stanley miller made organic molecules out of inorganic ones, in more simple terms these molecules can form living cells = life. he said that the atmospheric conditions at the time were suitable enough to give rise to life, it is a possibility.
Yes I believe he made amino acids from non-organic material and this experiment has been replicated many times... Critics usually point out the requirement for that sort of atmosphere, however to back this up the theory about the atmosphere comes from a completely separate area of science... all the pieces from separate lines of inquirey fit together to give us this picture.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
soha said:
all religons promote peace and love harmony and social justice blah blah blah
we just need people to follow them properly

do you believe that religion promotes equality and equity?? in particular, do you believe islam supports peace for EVERYONE (islam or not).??

ggggggggggggggg

HSC
In 1099AD, when the first crusaders crossed into Jerusalem there was widespread massacre of not only men but also women and children.

The victims were predominantly muslims but they were also jews, who before being slain by the crusaders were living in relative PEACE.

When Saladin recaptured the city, he did not seek vengeance on the Crusaders and spared their lives, following the teachings of islam .
This is just one example of islam promoting peace when followed strictly and coherently.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Saladin and Richard the Lionheart...heavily romanticised in novels, films, and other literary works. shows how to treat your enemy with respect and dignity.

apparently it doesnt happen today...its rather sad really. to achieve a goal, to make many many sacrifices. respect and dignity among them. thrown out the window. on both camps.

soulreaver

HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Saladin was a pretty good bloke.
I don't know that much, but I think the crusades dont come under enough scrutiny. But religion does provide a lot of hope, for those that dont have it. It's a harsh world out there, so religion is needed sometimes.

volition

arr.
HSC
Lord Hawthorn said:
I would however agree that in most occurences of the state and church becoming one the power has been abused (by people with unreligious motives, mind you... or ignorant fanatics... the ignorant are the easiest to manipulate by the powerful. Notice how quite a few of those terrorists and suicide bombers are uneducated...)
Let me just make the point here that Osama Bin Laden is what you would call a 'deeply religious man', because he follows his sacred text to the letter by waging war against the non-Muslims. He's a deeply religious man and he's still a mass murderer.

You claim that "those terrorists" are uneducated, but really, they are just being educated by the wrong people(people who preach war, and by the way, they're using their religion as an excuse to do it).

Are you still sure religion doesn't do more harm than good?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ggggggggggggggg said:
In 1099AD, when the first crusaders crossed into Jerusalem there was widespread massacre of not only men but also women and children.

The victims were predominantly muslims but they were also jews, who before being slain by the crusaders were living in relative PEACE.

When Saladin recaptured the city, he did not seek vengeance on the Crusaders and spared their lives, following the teachings of islam .
This is just one example of islam promoting peace when followed strictly and coherently.
You're forgetting the bloody war where the Muslims took Israel in the first place.

K

katie_tully

I bought a book on the Spanish Inquisition today. First few chapters are on the Crusades. Interesting.

Yes I believe he made amino acids from non-organic material and this experiment has been replicated many times... Critics usually point out the requirement for that sort of atmosphere, however to back this up the theory about the atmosphere comes from a completely separate area of science... all the pieces from separate lines of inquirey fit together to give us this picture
We're currently doing the earths early atmosphere, and the atmosphere of other planets and etcetera. Interesting stuff. <3

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
We're currently doing the earths early atmosphere, and the atmosphere of other planets and etcetera. Interesting stuff. <3
Sadly there's actually alot of people out there that don't believe you lol

I can't believe I spelt it 'Inquirey' what an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)