• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Religion: Does It Do More Harm Than Good? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katie_tully

I thought you meant they don't believe I got into uni. I was like, wtf?

We're not doing any experiments to prove the early atmosphere of earth. We're merely learning about its origins based on materials found on other planets. GEO is more focused on earth science and meterology, not the creation of earth.

People don't have to believe the research, especially when the Bible gives them a fairy tale to believe instead.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Don't believe the experiements you're doing, don't believe the research you're reading
which irritates the crap out of me considering the only reason why they wouldn't believe is because its fucking up with their beliefs and have a very intolerant and narrow mindset. I say this considering there are Christians who are incredibly open and accepting with science.

But the fact that some don't believe only furthers my argument how religion encourages intolerant and narrow-minded thinking upon people, by emphasising that 'this is religion/God is right. everything else is bullshit'.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
I just realised, how religion is by far better than science. Science killed millions of ppl, nuclear explosions in Hiroshima, Chernobyl meltdown, cancers, testing, creation of new diseases etc.

Religion on the other hand has been natural not affecting the natural way of life. Whilst science has contributed to pollution, extinction of flora and fauna, ideally destruction of the world.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Wow - super.

Science didn't blow up hiroshima, a thing that was created through scientific discoveries and dropped by the united states of america did it... just as science provided you your computer and your koran and well everything man-made... Science and scientific method does not actually do anything, it's just a way of discovering things about the world.

Religion on the other hand has been natural not affecting the natural way of life.
Um Natural? Even if it is natural, how is natural somehow better? Sounds to me like a buzzword.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Wow - super.

Science didn't blow up hiroshima, a thing that was created through scientific discoveries and dropped by the united states of america did it... just as science provided you your computer and your koran and well everything man-made... Science and scientific method does not actually do anything, it's just a way of discovering things about the world.

Um Natural? Even if it is natural, how is natural somehow better? Sounds to me like a buzzword.
it was created through science, and has resulted in millions of death. SCience has led to industrialisation, leading to pollution. IT was science that blew up hiroshima, if it hadnt been discovered, the japs wouldnt have died, and the number of cancer cases would have reduced. science has led to the destruction of people.

i agree that everything in this world is natural, perhaps a better statement. Science has altered the natural cycle of life.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
it was created through science, and has resulted in millions of death. SCience has led to industrialisation, leading to pollution. IT was science that blew up hiroshima, if it hadnt been discovered, the japs wouldnt have died, and the number of cancer cases would have reduced. science has led to the destruction of people.
Science has also done many great things - are you advocating we return to the time when we were essentially monkeys and had nothing? I actually can't imagine humans without scientific advancement, we'd be extinct - maybe that's what you mean when you say science has altered the natural cycle of life, that humans should all be dead?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Science has also done many great things - are you advocating we return to the time when we were essentially monkeys and had nothing? I actually can't imagine humans without scientific advancement, we'd be extinct - maybe that's what you mean when you say science has altered the natural cycle of life, that humans should all be dead?
Science will make us extinct very soon. Our sources of food, energy are depeleting rapidly. IF it had not been for science, the human species would exist for longer period of time.

science has led to destruction of the earth, overpopulation, pollution etc. Will lead to the human race to be extinct.

I dont know how u claim that humans would be extinct if it not were for science, quite the opposite really.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Science will make us extinct very soon. Our sources of food, energy are depeleting rapidly. IF it had not been for science, the human species would exist for longer period of time.
Doubtful.

science has led to destruction of the earth, overpopulation, pollution etc. Will lead to the human race to be extinct.
Science has been utilised by humans to do such things.

I dont know how u claim that humans would be extinct if it not were for science, quite the opposite really.
How would humans hunt? How would we deal with disease? (the plague in europe, how would have we delt with that without science?) How would we keep ourselves warm?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Doubtful.

Science has been utilised by humans to do such things.

How would humans hunt? How would we deal with disease? (the plague in europe, how would have we delt with that without science?) How would we keep ourselves warm?
humans have hunted for ages thousand of years, just look at the ancient egyptians, greeks etc. Warm, how do the animals stay warm? Deal with diseases, its natural factor, the plague was only in europe , such controls are necessary for balance.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
HotShot said:

i agree that everything in this world is natural, perhaps a better statement. Science has altered the natural cycle of life.
do you know what science actually means?

science is when man created fire and learnt how to control it and use it to cook
cooking is a science
science was creating this laptop and the internet
science was figuring out that you need to brush your teeth otherwise we'd have fatal teeth problems (eg ancient egyptian style)
science was figuring out the plumbing system for your toilet
science is understanding what you need to eat for a healthy lifestyle thus a longer life.
science is everything you take for granted.

i cant figure out whether youre a troll account, how could you be against science?

dilroy

HSC
HotShot said:
humans have hunted for ages thousand of years, just look at the ancient egyptians, greeks etc. Warm, how do the animals stay warm? Deal with diseases, its natural factor, the plague was only in europe , such controls are necessary for balance.
I think this is more closely related to the theory of 'natural selection' and 'survival of the fittest' than compared with religion.

K

katie_tully

I doth challenge ye all to read "The Inquisition" by Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh.
It changed my perception of the Church. And by changed i mean, I thought it was a load of shit before and now I "know"

K

katie_tully

I accept that science has saved more lives than religion. Science does not kill for the purpose of glory. :)

K

katie_tully

I did answer your question. Science has killed nowhere near as many people as religion has. You're a damn fool if you believe that. Like I said, read the book.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
katie_tully said:
I did answer your question. Science has killed nowhere near as many people as religion has. You're a damn fool if you believe that. Like I said, read the book.
i cant the read book, where do i get it from?

science kills people daily, one of the reasons, is simply radiotion form nuclear meltdowns, nuclear fallout.

K

katie_tully

And religion doesn't kill daily? Hello?

You can get it from Angus and Robertson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)