• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Religious affiliation (2 Viewers)

Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

• Christianity

Votes: 536 38.1%
  • Judaism

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 168 11.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 56 4.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 31 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 93 6.6%
  • None - I'm not religious.

Votes: 488 34.7%

• Total voters

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
A paradoxical world where innocents suffer n crims
HSC
ezzy85 said:
have you heard of judaism?
A quote frm a Jewish website: Judaism maintains that we are all G-d's children. A well-known piece of Jewish liturgy repeatedly describes G-d as "Avinu Malkeinu," our Father, our King. It is said that one of G-d's greatest gifts to humanity is the knowledge that we are His children and created in his image.

Now if u carefully re-read my view, I said dat Allah (de Islamic God) is not considered our Father n neither do Muslims consider Allah as our Father (then there must b a mother too right? n doesnt dat undermine de completeness of God n his Oneness?). Muslims consider God as their creator. If we consider him our Father then we are giving him humane attributes which jus dont befit him frm an Islamic perspective.

Here is a quote frm Quran to prove my point: “No son (or offspring) did Allaah beget, nor is there any ilaah (god) along with Him. (If there had been many gods), then each god would have taken away what he had created, and some would have tried to overcome others! Glorified be Allaah above all that they attribute to Him!” [ 23:91]

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
HSC
Researcher88 said:
I believe in evolution and natural selection the survival of the fittest.
Mate i suggest u pay a visit to this site:

http://www.harunyahya.com/20questions02.php

Here is a small para frm de site: Today, such branches of science as paleontology, genetics, biochemistry, and molecular biology have proven that it is quite impossible for life to come about as a result of chance and to emerge by itself from natural conditions. The living cell, it is commonly agreed by the world of science, is the most complex structure that mankind has so far encountered. Modern science has revealed that just one living cell has a much more complex structure and mutually interconnected complicated systems than a large city'.

FACT: 700 ecyclopaedias can be written with the information found in a cell's DNA. Now does that say that tings came into existence by mere chance? No. Rather that everything was created with a specific intention n for a specific purpose by God.

waterfowl

HSC
mz_purfect said:
A quote frm a Jewish website: Judaism maintains that we are all G-d's children. A well-known piece of Jewish liturgy repeatedly describes G-d as "Avinu Malkeinu," our Father, our King. It is said that one of G-d's greatest gifts to humanity is the knowledge that we are His children and created in his image.

Now if u carefully re-read my view, I said dat Allah (de Islamic God) is not considered our Father n neither do Muslims consider Allah as our Father (then there must b a mother too right? n doesnt dat undermine de completeness of God n his Oneness?). Muslims consider God as their creator. If we consider him our Father then we are giving him humane attributes which jus dont befit him frm an Islamic perspective.

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't take you seriously when you replace "th" with "d".

Father, creator, those words can be interchangeable. If you create something you can be said to have fathered it, so really calling God father or creator doesn't really matter; and why shouldn't we call Him Father? It may be a human attribute, but I also think it shows closeness and a strong feeling of love and compassion.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
That site, even that paragraph is a joke on so many levels.

mz_purfect said:
Here is a small para frm de site: Today, such branches of science as paleontology, genetics, biochemistry, and molecular biology have proven that it is quite impossible for life to come about as a result of chance and to emerge by itself from natural conditions.
I'd say just about the opposite since these branches of science have uncovered things such as genetic relationships between species, paleontological relationships between different kingdoms and homologous structures between species within the same kingdom i.e.: pentadactyl limb in tetrapods, homelogical genes such as the homeobox and certain proteins that are present in all orders of lifeforms from simple procaryotes to complex eucaryotes.

The living cell, it is commonly agreed by the world of science, is the most complex structure that mankind has so far encountered. Modern science has revealed that just one living cell has a much more complex structure and mutually interconnected complicated systems than a large city'.
This statement is not scientifically valid. It does not cite sources or any scientifc data at all really.

FACT: 700 ecyclopaedias can be written with the information found in a cell's DNA. Now does that say that tings came into existence by mere chance? No. Rather that everything was created with a specific intention n for a specific purpose by God.
see above

No, lol at you. While evolution obviously to this day remains a theory, and is being continually redefined (with research into new mechanisms of evolution besides natural selection that have been made with increasing technological advances) it defies logic to attempt to argue against something as elegant as evolution, with some half cocked theory that lacks any true scientific support or merit and is merely based upon a fundamental interpretation of the Bible.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
quoting from a site is like quoting from me. it could be total crap written by anyone. next time you start proving points with sites, consider giving sources.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
waterfowl said:
I don't know about anyone else, but I can't take you seriously when you replace "th" with "d".

Father, creator, those words can be interchangeable. If you create something you can be said to have fathered it, so really calling God father or creator doesn't really matter; and why shouldn't we call Him Father? It may be a human attribute, but I also think it shows closeness and a strong feeling of love and compassion.
dont ppl call a preist "father"???

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
waterfowl said:
I think catholics do
well i knew someone did............the christains say it as "the father, son and the holy ghost/spirit"........this is y muslims do not label god as father........since he fathered no children......

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
HSC
ezzy85 said:
quoting from a site is like quoting from me. it could be total crap written by anyone. next time you start proving points with sites, consider giving sources.
Thanks 4 reminding me to cite my sources! :) As for the Jewish site, i dont remember where i got it frm, however, tell me, do u find that quote incorrect or 'crap'?

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
HSC
waterfowl said:

some people consider there father n mother (biological parents) as their creator, now since u say DE word is interchangeable then why don't ppl call their parents God or Goddess?

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
HSC
neo_o said:
That site, even that paragraph is a joke on so many levels.

This statement is not scientifically valid. It does not cite sources or any scientifc data at all really.
The complex structure of the cell is something that the whole scientific world knows (as the author says) so obviously for something so mundane, u don't need any scientific proof, all u have to do is look at a cell urself....btw....dere actually happens to be footnotes on that site if u havent noticed.....

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
my mother and father might be my biological parents (you never know these days), but they are not everyone else's parents... god imo is the creater of all things, but just not the world as i percieve it.

in these days faith is based on interpretation of a chosen organised religion or individual beliefs- whatever what im saying is u can scrutinize the bible, the torah and the koran all you want and probably find countless flaws. in the end what is important is the message it carries and how it enlightens your life

not how it makes u different to other ppl who dont share ur views on different matters

waterfowl

HSC
mz_purfect said:
some people consider there father n mother (biological parents) as their creator, now since u say DE word is interchangeable then why don't ppl call their parents God or Goddess?
I said the words father and creator are interchangeable...not God, you moron.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
yeah so much about men marying 4 wives..that people dont understand
i as a muslim hated the idea and was like omg its so wrong
UNTILL.. i actually sat down and read about it and learnt about it and it makes perfect sense..
and i was like wow omg thats great
it doenst happen these days anyway so who cares really?

alien

HSC
inasero said:
are seventh day adventists mormons? what are some ideologies of this particular denomination?

as for myself...I'm presbyterian
nah sda and lds are different.
i'm lds (latter day saint) which everyone calls mormon

third day

HSC
for all of those non-christians out there, i invite you all to come to hillsong church to experience God's love first hand. you will be a changed person after an experience at my awesome church..
' Never again will they hunger, never again will they thirst. The sun will not beat upon them nor any scorching heat, for the Lamb at the centre of the throne will be their shepherd. He will lead them to springs of living water and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes'. Rev 7:16-17
How powerful is that?!
God Bless all of you.

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
HSC
soha said:
yeah so much about men marying 4 wives..that people dont understand
i as a muslim hated the idea and was like omg its so wrong
UNTILL.. i actually sat down and read about it and learnt about it and it makes perfect sense..
and i was like wow omg thats great
it doenst happen these days anyway so who cares really?
same here, Soha, wen i found out i was like so upset, but den wen u actually read abt it, it all comes together...its amazing dat ppl still point out polygamy as a flaw in Islam even Muslims wen it barely exists these days...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)