Results: Semester 1, 2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
tlodg said:
I should take MKTG then.

Just watch out for ECON 1001. The theory isn't that difficult but once you get the questions..... it's very hard to know where and how to start. Even if you study very hard for this one it still wouldn't guarantee a good mark. Good luck.
i know you said that you lack self-confidence. one thing to be aware of in marketing is that you'd have to do a presentation worth a significant amount in almost each subject you take.

fush

HSC
unlike eco & bus engo honors are given based on wam but i just wasnt sure on the cut offs. It doesnt require an additiional honours year..

However i think due to my combined degree my commerce marks are also taken into consideration for engo honours.

if its 65 or 70s im cheering, hopefully i can keep that up

tlodg

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
i know you said that you lack self-confidence. one thing to be aware of in marketing is that you'd have to do a presentation worth a significant amount in almost each subject you take.
I'll keep that in mind. Even though I'm not a confident person speaking in public isn't my greatest fear. I did public speaking for 2 years. Just need to get used to it I guess..... I'm more afraid of the MKTG 1001 theory part cuz I know people who are taking it

they say you either love it or hate it
(quite extreme)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
well its a very easy subject, however, you will need to memorise heaps in 1001. this is also the case (for exams) in 2002. this is because if you have paul henry, he likes multiple choice exams, taken from the textbook.
1002 - not very textbook based, but you will need to know some concepts well.
3121 - very culturally based. you prob wont even need the text. some basic concepts are good to know, but really, you can get by without much knowledge at all.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
well its a very easy subject, however, you will need to memorise heaps in 1001. this is also the case (for exams) in 2002. this is because if you have paul henry, he likes multiple choice exams, taken from the textbook.
1002 - not very textbook based, but you will need to know some concepts well.
3121 - very culturally based. you prob wont even need the text. some basic concepts are good to know, but really, you can get by without much knowledge at all.
thanks stas. what do you mean by culturally based?
it sounds really fun because u can be creative

stazi

Nightman
HSC
you need to be responsive to what's happening around you (i.e. the evolving culture), or as paul priday put it 'where consumers do what they need to do, to get what they want'.

Being 'creative' is a term also to be wary of. You can't just 'be creative'. In marketing being creative isn't about being able to come up with something original. We need to be accountable for our ideas. Our creativity is for hire, thus our creativity must provide RESULTS. Sadly, not many people are able to do this. I have been in groups with very creative individuals who simply don't realise their ideas won't work.

Another observation of mine is that advertising and marketing cross over a lot, and even in brand management positions, eventually a culmination of your efforts will likely be an ad (albeit through an ad agency). Thus, you must really love advertisements. If you can look at some ads and truly love and idolise them: i.e. get soooo much pleasure from them, then perhaps you're in the correct industry (and advertising may even be a better idea for you, than marketing-based positions).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh and another thing said by paul priday (although he applied it to advertising, it's just as relevant to marketing) - we need to be inquisitive about everything around us. We need to see the world as a pool of knowledge, and we must be fascinated and constantly on the look out for new information from everywhere (especially in relation to culture).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I think i'll eventually write a guide about marketing and advertising for bos, as I know they're very confusing professions to understand.

Also, latvia, confidence is generally important, as you need to have faith that your decisions are the correct decisions (considering how much money can be on the line). If I didn't believe that I will eventually be the best marketer in Australia, if not the world, it is unlikely I would experience the same level of successes (both from a uni-mark perspective, and from a career-based perspective). You need to have trust in yourself and others.

EDIT: FUCK YEAH :D I just realised i have an 85+ WAM for marketing. hmmm so tempted to do honours if i can keep this up. i already have thought up two honours topics. should get 10k+ in scholarships, as well

Last edited:

tlodg

HSC
N/A
thanks staz,
this is very good advice for anyone interested in MKTG....
I'm guessing paul priday is a lecturer

tlodg

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
I think i'll eventually write a guide about marketing and advertising for bos, as I know they're very confusing professions to understand.

Also, latvia, confidence is generally important, as you need to have faith that your decisions are the correct decisions (considering how much money can be on the line). If I didn't believe that I will eventually be the best marketer in Australia, if not the world, it is unlikely I would experience the same level of successes (both from a uni-mark perspective, and from a career-based perspective). You need to have trust in yourself and others.
How can you have faith that your decitions are the correct decisions if you don't know what you're good at? Is it your good grade that made you believe MKTG is your best? I know that you're very interested in it but without good marks would you like it as much as you do? Lucky that you have found a talent and know for sure what you want to do. My best, uni-mark wise is ECMT but I don't want to major in that..... ECON is interesting to me but I suck very much at it.

lala2

Banned
HSC
So you're currently majoring in marketing..or is it advertising, stazi?

tlodg

HSC
N/A
lala2 said:
I didn't know there were a subject called advertising..

stazi

Nightman
HSC
tlodg said:
How can you have faith that your decitions are the correct decisions if you don't know what you're good at? Is it your good grade that made you believe MKTG is your best? I know that you're very interested in it but without good marks would you like it as much as you do? Lucky that you have found a talent and know for sure what you want to do. My best, uni-mark wise is ECMT but I don't want to major in that..... ECON is interesting to me but I suck very much at it.
Paul Priday lectures advertising: creative principles (mktg3121)

I've known from watching the apprentice that marketing is right for me. It was the type of thing I felt passionate about, and was confident in. I could always come up with solutions I had faith in, and believed were better than those of others. Marks don't necesserily mean that much - i.e. you could be a sensational marketer, but just not achieve in exams. I got a poor mark in mktg1001 (73), especially considering how much effort I put in. However, I knew that based on actual practical work I did, I was very good (despite our group project getting an average mark - i knew my ideas were fantastic).

I guess you just kind of know what you're best at, and you should follow it. You may have done well in ecmt, but if you haven't got the passion, then what's the point?

lala2 said:
Usyd doesnt have an advertising major. I have made a lots of references to advertising, as I completed mktg3121 (advertising) as a subject in sem 1, and find the fields to be very interrelated.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
tlodg said:
I didn't know there were a subject called advertising..
Nope, we only have a marketing major, which incoporates various aspects of marketing:
-public relations
-marketing research
-brand management
-advertising
etc.

bradc1988

HSC
fush said:
unlike eco & bus engo honors are given based on wam but i just wasnt sure on the cut offs. It doesnt require an additiional honours year..

However i think due to my combined degree my commerce marks are also taken into consideration for engo honours.

if its 65 or 70s im cheering, hopefully i can keep that up
I'm fairly confident it's 65 for the lowest honours, and goes up either by 5s or 10s for the next one up.

I don't really know about this crap but I was with some friends when they were asking a tutor about it, went straight over my head.

Rockerz

HSC
Heya

I'm pretty happy about my results!!!!! wohoo!

ACCG101 - Distinction 80%
ACCG201 - Distinction 82%
ACCG200 - Credit 71%

I think i'm gonna send ACCG200 for remark, I thought I did much better for ACCG200 than in ACCG201.... lol

At least now I can have a good nights sleep!

cheers ;)

jellybeenz

HSC
Argh... Why do I wake up so early? I just want my English mark goddammit!!!!

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
ACCT1001- Credit
ECON1001- Credit
ECMT1001- Distinction
CLAW1001- FAIL

Fark. Did not expect that.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Microbiology - D
Pharmacology and Toxicology - D
Pathology - C
Behaviour and Welfare - D

and....wait for it...

Parasitology - HD !!!!!!!!!

i'm absolutely flabergasted, i was hoping for a few credits maybe, but this is just wonderful! This semester was so hard! Thank God its over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)