Right to leave? (1 Viewer)

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
Got this in an email:

The right to leave Australia... A little too close to the truth on some things.

After hearing that the state of South Australiachanged its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with her face covered prompted this editorial written by an Australian citizen, published in an Australian newspaper.

He did quite a job; didn't he? Read on, please... you decide if you agree.

Quote: "IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT".

I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.

However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the 'politically correct' crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Australia.

However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of Australiabeing a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle.

This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, American or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!

'In God We Trust' is our National Motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools.

If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture. If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like (A Fair Go), then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from.

This is OUR COUNTRY, Our Land, and Our Lifestyle, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this.

But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our Flag, Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

So, what's your thoughts on this? Keeping in mind I did NOT write this.
I think I sort of agree, that any immigrants who come here should adapt to us, but, also, I thibnk we should have a bit more tolerance for them, as they usually are trying to adapt, and it must be hard.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Whoever wrote 'this is quite good' should be shot. It's nothing more than a judeo-christian inspired nationalistic rant in favour of the mythical anglo-celtic Australia.

For what it's worth, we do not have an official motto (and 'In god we trust' is a US phrase, too).

Riewe

HSC
That person was right in that many immigrants now seem to not integrate into society as well as they did in the past, meaning that we now have shops with no english in them, and many people don't seem able to speak english.

But that Christian stuff was very debatable, as Generator has shown, and it is also debatable about whether we really were a Christian country to begin with.

But the fact is that there is no longer an 'Aussie culture' that is seen throughout all society, and unfortunately, multiculturalism has caused this.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
chelzmalee said:
We speak ENGLISH, American

'In God We Trust' is our National Motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools.
This is funny Americans speak english
This phrase is american not Aussie, well as far as I know.

Apart from those issues i tend to agree with the email

Generator

HSC
N/A
'American' is valid, if not as informative/correct as the proper 'American English', Korn.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Generator said:
'American' is valid, if not as informative/correct as the proper 'American English', Korn.
Yeah but Australia doesnt exactly use English either, more "Australian English"

CHE-13S

HSC
N/A
chelzmalee said:
Got this in an email:

The right to leave Australia... A little too close to the truth on some things.

After hearing that the state of South Australiachanged its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with her face covered prompted this editorial written by an Australian citizen, published in an Australian newspaper.

He did quite a job; didn't he? Read on, please... you decide if you agree.

Quote: "IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT".

I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.

However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the 'politically correct' crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Australia.

However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of Australiabeing a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle.

This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, American or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!

If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture. If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like (A Fair Go), then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from.

This is OUR COUNTRY, Our Land, and Our Lifestyle, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this.

But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our Flag, Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

So, what's your thoughts on this? Keeping in mind I did NOT write this.
I think I sort of agree, that any immigrants who come here should adapt to us, but, also, I thibnk we should have a bit more tolerance for them, as they usually are trying to adapt, and it must be hard.
I agree with generator, the writing assumes that anglo culture has some sort of god-given right to be what is accepted as normal in this country.

'God is part of our culture', 'Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation', lol it sounds like a One Nation/National Front rubbish

'We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change' - Who is we? They certainly aren't representing me. Who exactly is this group that doesn't want change? Australian culture is based on Anglo-British ways but that doesn't mean immigrants must conform to it in order to be 'Australian'.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
CHE-13S said:
I agree with generator, the writing assumes that anglo culture has some sort of god-given right to be what is accepted as normal in this country.

'God is part of our culture', 'Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation', lol it sounds like a One Nation/National Front rubbish

'We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change' - Who is we? They certainly aren't representing me. Who exactly is this group that doesn't want change? Australian culture is based on Anglo-British ways but that doesn't mean immigrants must conform to it in order to be 'Australian'.
So Australia should conform to the countries immigrants are leaving/escaping from, whats the point? If they like the old country so much dont leave, you save alot of $$$

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
crazyhomo said:
xenophobic bullshit. simple as that
How is it xenophobic??
Show me where it says immigrants are not welcome?? (NO paraphrasing or re-wording)

CHE-13S

HSC
N/A
Korn said:
So Australia should conform to the countries immigrants are leaving/escaping from, whats the point? If they like the old country so much dont leave, you save alot of $$$
No, I'm saying that immigrants that come here for a better life they need to adapt to a certain extent (learn English, etc) but that doesn't mean they have to become 'Anglocised' culturally. Anglo-Celtic traditions were the basis of Australian culture but that does not mean it has a right to be dominant or the standard by which we measure Australianess.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
CHE-13S said:
No, I'm saying that immigrants that come here for a better life they need to adapt to a certain extent (learn English, etc) but that doesn't mean they have to become 'Anglocised' culturally. Anglo-Celtic traditions were the basis of Australian culture but that does not mean it has a right to be dominant or the standard by which we measure Australianess.
True, i agree with you quite a bit, but problems have arised from the segregation of society and the shops that have limited to no english translations. (why isnt there a law against it, it discriminates against the majority & is stupid business decisions)

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Korn said:
How is it xenophobic??
Show me where it says immigrants are not welcome?? (NO paraphrasing or re-wording)
xen·o·phobe Audio pronunciation of "xenophobic" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (zn-fb, zn-)
n.

A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.

it is saying that you are welcome as long as you become like us. whoever wrote it is afraid of strangers, and will only accept them once they are no longer 'strange'

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Korn said:
True, i agree with you quite a bit, but problems have arised from the segregation of society and the shops that have limited to no english translations. (why isnt there a law against it, it discriminates against the majority & is stupid business decisions)
yay for freedom of speech! as long as you speak in my language!

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
crazyhomo said:
xen·o·phobe Audio pronunciation of "xenophobic" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (zn-fb, zn-)
n.

A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.

it is saying that you are welcome as long as you become like us. whoever wrote it is afraid of strangers, and will only accept them once they are no longer 'strange'
Yes but where does he say immigrants are not welcome?????

He isnt afraid of strangers otherwise he would not agree with immigration except from white countries and europe. Now if im not mistaken, NOWHERE in that email does he say only whites & europeans should be allowed to immigrate

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
crazyhomo said:
yay for freedom of speech! as long as you speak in my language!
I have no problem in having foreign signs, but they should have english translations, for fucks sake the official language of this country is English.

Question, would you go to another country that didnt speak english or wasnt anything like Australia & expect it to change to suit you????
I certaintly wouldnt, because im not a self-centred fuck, who thinks the world revolves around me

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Korn said:
Yes but where does he say immigrants are not welcome?????

He isnt afraid of strangers otherwise he would not agree with immigration except from white countries and europe. Now if im not mistaken, NOWHERE in that email does he say only whites & europeans should be allowed to immigrate
are you stupid? the definition of xenophobic is not 'fear of immigrants'. it is a 'fear of strangers or foreigners'. he is ok with immigrants as long as they change themselves to be no longer 'strange or foreign'

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ar·ti·choke (är't*-chōk') pronunciation
n.

1. A Mediterranean thistlelike plant (Cynara scolymus) in the composite family, having pinnately divided leaves and large discoid heads of bluish flowers.
2. The edible, immature flower head of this plant. Also called globe artichoke.
2. The Jerusalem artichoke.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
crazyhomo said:
are you stupid? the definition of xenophobic is not 'fear of immigrants'. it is a 'fear of strangers or foreigners'. he is ok with immigrants as long as they change themselves to be no longer 'strange or foreign'
all immigrants are foreigners, or did that fact escape you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)