Rules for Staff (1 Viewer)

jas62

HSC
Re: Rules for Retail Workers

gemmal said:
Honestly, once you become supervisor, you're God!
At our store each supervisor has a completely different way of doing things, and so if I were to leave a register to go do one of those jobs you mentioned with one supervisor, the next supervisor, would be like, "what are you doing, get back to your register!!", you can never win. That's why, you never do anything on your own, and only do something if you get asked.
That is true i dont like my staff walking off their registers unless i ask them to do something. Because most of them wont jump back on their register if it gets busy. But the other supervisors mostly dont care. Which sucks cause it makes me look uptight!!

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

hahahaha, omg CieL, those are the things i have to get my staff to get done when it's quiet as well, PLUS front end is responsible for facing up 2 aisles of the store every-night (i HATE that - thats not our job if you ask me)

CieL

HSC

jas62 said:
That is true i dont like my staff walking off their registers unless i ask them to do something. Because most of them wont jump back on their register if it gets busy. But the other supervisors mostly dont care. Which sucks cause it makes me look uptight!!
Ahaha that is EXACTLY like me.
If my staff want to leave their registers, I like them to tell me what they're doing so I know exactly what is going on. Like today there's this junior that loves leaving her register.. she sometimes does it to put loose stock away, but she never tells me she's leaving.. so suddenly it goes busier and I wonder why, I look at her register and she's not there.. if she told me she just wanted to put a few items away at least I'd know she'll be back soon..
It's just like how I tell all my staff what I'm doing and how long I will be, so they know when to expect me back if they need anything and they won't desperately call me when I'm like.... in the loo or something....

townie said:
hahahaha, omg CieL, those are the things i have to get my staff to get done when it's quiet as well, PLUS front end is responsible for facing up 2 aisles of the store every-night (i HATE that - thats not our job if you ask me)
Oh good, getting told off by nichollette made me wonder if I ask too much from my staff. At my store, because it is quite small, I double up as an operator and a supervisor.. so I'm doing twice the amount of work.. and I mean, if an operator doesn't have shit to do I might as well give them something to do instead of let them just stand there.. This applies to whether you're a junior or a senior, or if you're working at the kiosk or on a register far away from the kiosk.

Yeah, my front end is in charge of making the 'ends' that face the outside of the shop look pretty.. and at night my duty manager makes me face up and fill up some grocery items.. I know it's not exactly my job but I'm fine with doing extra work to help him out when I have time because we only have lots of nightfill staff on the odd days of the week =S

nicollette

HSC

CieL said:
Oh good, getting told off by nichollette made me wonder if I ask too much from my staff. At my store, because it is quite small, I double up as an operator and a supervisor.. so I'm doing twice the amount of work.. and I mean, if an operator doesn't have shit to do I might as well give them something to do instead of let them just stand there.. This applies to whether you're a junior or a senior, or if you're working at the kiosk or on a register far away from the kiosk.

Yeah, my front end is in charge of making the 'ends' that face the outside of the shop look pretty.. and at night my duty manager makes me face up and fill up some grocery items.. I know it's not exactly my job but I'm fine with doing extra work to help him out when I have time because we only have lots of nightfill staff on the odd days of the week =S
I wasn't telling you off but telling you what I could/couldn't do at work because you were going off your head with how you hate when your staff doesn't do all the stuff mentioned in your post...and how I can't do all that stuff.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
managers should take more responsibility when there are unexpected events, even when they are not on-site. our office manager refused to come in to cover a staff who could not make the shift because of migraine. instead, he gave the instruction to call for other staff and try our luck, rather than doing his bit as the manager and turn up. so much for setting the example for his employees.

HSC
I don't think CieL expects ONE person to do all that. But you can't expect a supervisor to do all that either! They have so much other shit to do, you need a few staff running around getting jobs done. Obviously if its busy/constant you should be serving. But if its dead quiet and you can see 10 other staff standing on their register doing nothing, have a look around at something that needs doing/ask the supervisor if they want you to do anything.

Yes, I had a shit long weekend at work with incompetent staff who have no fucking clue how to do anything even when you spell it out for them. And yes I hear you ringing your fucking bell but I don't care if you give those people their potatos for free instead of 99c a bag so I have to come over to put my numbers in because I'm the only supervisor in the freaking store from 13.15 - 22.00.

HSC
I got a little angry at the end of that post yes, I may have even blacked out for a bit.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Note to self: Never become a manager in either current job (Maccas... lol) or supermarkets. The amount of sheer rage meow-says-kitty, CieL etc. have been demonstrating has scared me out of ever climbing up the ladder of retail-ness (even though I was never going to stay in retail for my whole career, come hell or high water...)

CieL

HSC
supercalamari said:
Note to self: Never become a manager in either current job (Maccas... lol) or supermarkets. The amount of sheer rage meow-says-kitty, CieL etc. have been demonstrating has scared me out of ever climbing up the ladder of retail-ness (even though I was never going to stay in retail for my whole career, come hell or high water...)
Rage?
It is not rage.
And it doesn't only apply in retail.

All the people I train up I don't have issues with. They know what to do and they know what I expect them to do.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC

nicollette said:
Err, I'm kind of not allowed to leave my register.

1. I don't need to sweep the floor, because thats the cleaners job and there is no broom near me.
2. I don't have to fill up the confectionary because thats longlife/whoevers job and I'm not allowed to leave my register.
3. We empty the bins after we have finished the shift, that doesn't just apply to me.
4. I'm not allowed near the smokes because I work at a register that isn't customer service/express (where the smokes are).
5. I only fill up my receipt rolls when it is running out, its called common sense.
6. I'm not allowed to leave my register so therefore can't fill up the drink fridges, thats longlifes/whoevers job.
7. I can't put the loose stock back, thats longlifes/someone elses job.
8. Also, I bought this magazine.

Wow this is requiring alot of patience from me, by such an ignorant post on your part. Chillout, seriously. Note to self: Never become a supervisor...
A simple "I'm not allowed to leave my register due to supervisor being bitchy" would've been sufficed instead of repeating yourself over the time. That's what may have contributed to ur impatience.

@Calamari- i'm glad i got rejected from Maccas. hahah

Also, I work in the deli, and we're responsible for facing up Aisle 2 when it's not busy. But it always is busy, with the whole filling stock/filling cheese bar/facing up cheese bar/cleaning, etc.

nicollette

HSC

shinji said:
A simple "I'm not allowed to leave my register due to supervisor being bitchy" would've been sufficed instead of repeating yourself over the time. That's what may have contributed to ur impatience.
I'll speak for myself thanks. What contributed to my impatience was the fact she was swearing and naming things that we should do, when we couldn't do any of them. No wonder all our employees hate most of the supervisors, power gets to their heads.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
CieL said:
Rage?
It is not rage.
And it doesn't only apply in retail.

All the people I train up I don't have issues with. They know what to do and they know what I expect them to do.
Ok, ok, I think it's really important that they respect you and that you train them well. Therefore I guess you're doing a good job.

CieL

HSC

nicollette said:
I'll speak for myself thanks. What contributed to my impatience was the fact she was swearing and naming things that we should do, when we couldn't do any of them. No wonder all our employees hate most of the supervisors, power gets to their heads.
Why would you and all the people in your store hate your supervisors?

I mean... all you have to do is stay at your register?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
The shop I worked at back in the day was pretty small so we rarely had more than one person on registers at any time, so if you were on register duty you kinda had to stay there. You could do stuff, clean up etc as long as you stayed in your immediate register area (like, 2m radius around it lol) so you didn't keep customers waiting. So after you'd tidied the magazine rack, the drinks fridge and wiped down your register there wasn't much to do, which was pretty boring.

With bigger stores like woolies etc though where you have lots of register people it makes sense that you should be finding something else to do when customers aren't around, unless you've got a good reason.

CieL

HSC
I just remembered an old one...
For the staff at Parra Maccas... Hurry up, move it, and don't be retarded.

My friend and I were getting some food after a long day of shopping.. Maccas was pretty much the only thing open in the food court.. We both stood in different queues next to each other.. My friend also used to work at Maccas..

Anyways.. the two girls that served us each.. were just.......... so........... freaking.......... slow......... it was almost painful to watch. We were both standing third in line. To reach the front of the queue.... took 20 minutes. All that time I was watching both girls meander around the fries, drinks, and softserve machine.. Like they were floating around or something.. They'd stop at one station and chat a bit... hang around the burger bit waiting instead of doing something else whilst waiting for the burger.. And no joke, I was watching this other operater in the middle serve 10 people in the time I was waiting..

Finally I get to the front of the line.. and I wanted $160 cash out.. I asked my friend beforehand what the limit was, and my friend told me that there isnt really one, they just need the supervisor to swipe the card.. So I ask for $160.. and she goes "ohhh.. umm", asks the other slow girl next to her and they both agree that the maximum I can cash out is $100. She didnt say she didnt have enough money to give me.. she just told me it was the legal maximum.. So I ask my friend again to make sure but I got denied so I was like, "ok that's fine, I'll get out $100". And like wth.. she has to float away to get the manager's card anyway, so an extra $60 shouldnt of been a problem.

Anyways........ We were both then popped to the side [for the burgers] whilst they served other customers.... I watched my friend's operator serve the next customer who wanted that sundae with syrup on the top and bottom.... No joke, my burger and that sundae took 10mins. The sundae I watched.... she sloooooooooowly pumped the choc syrup in... started slowly hitting the base on the counter so the choc would even out, and started chatting with another person.. the choc was sitting there for a whole minute being hit against the counter.. the icecream was done pretty shit.. and when it was time to put the choc top layer on, it went freaking over the edge of the cup.. she then had to go find chux to clean it.. and when she was finding the chux, she managed to knock over the container with the nugget dips.. she walked past it and didnt even know until someone else pointed to her that she dropped it.. then she slowly bent down to pick everything up.. and THEN we got our fucking burgers and the other girl got her crappy sundae..

And I know how long that took because I had to pay for an extra half hour of parking because of incompetent staff.

greekgun

HSC
CieL said:
I just remembered an old one...
For the staff at Parra Maccas... Hurry up, move it, and don't be retarded.

My friend and I were getting some food after a long day of shopping.. Maccas was pretty much the only thing open in the food court.. We both stood in different queues next to each other.. My friend also used to work at Maccas..

Anyways.. the two girls that served us each.. were just.......... so........... freaking.......... slow......... it was almost painful to watch. We were both standing third in line. To reach the front of the queue.... took 20 minutes. All that time I was watching both girls meander around the fries, drinks, and softserve machine.. Like they were floating around or something.. They'd stop at one station and chat a bit... hang around the burger bit waiting instead of doing something else whilst waiting for the burger.. And no joke, I was watching this other operater in the middle serve 10 people in the time I was waiting..

Finally I get to the front of the line.. and I wanted $160 cash out.. I asked my friend beforehand what the limit was, and my friend told me that there isnt really one, they just need the supervisor to swipe the card.. So I ask for $160.. and she goes "ohhh.. umm", asks the other slow girl next to her and they both agree that the maximum I can cash out is $100. She didnt say she didnt have enough money to give me.. she just told me it was the legal maximum.. So I ask my friend again to make sure but I got denied so I was like, "ok that's fine, I'll get out $100". And like wth.. she has to float away to get the manager's card anyway, so an extra $60 shouldnt of been a problem.

Anyways........ We were both then popped to the side [for the burgers] whilst they served other customers.... I watched my friend's operator serve the next customer who wanted that sundae with syrup on the top and bottom.... No joke, my burger and that sundae took 10mins. The sundae I watched.... she sloooooooooowly pumped the choc syrup in... started slowly hitting the base on the counter so the choc would even out, and started chatting with another person.. the choc was sitting there for a whole minute being hit against the counter.. the icecream was done pretty shit.. and when it was time to put the choc top layer on, it went freaking over the edge of the cup.. she then had to go find chux to clean it.. and when she was finding the chux, she managed to knock over the container with the nugget dips.. she walked past it and didnt even know until someone else pointed to her that she dropped it.. then she slowly bent down to pick everything up.. and THEN we got our fucking burgers and the other girl got her crappy sundae..

And I know how long that took because I had to pay for an extra half hour of parking because of incompetent staff.
Shit man. I cant believe u waited that long and didnt have a go at them. I would have asked for the superviusor so i could get me some free grub or jumped over the counter and made the dam food myself.

CieL

HSC
greekgun said:
Shit man. I cant believe u waited that long and didnt have a go at them. I would have asked for the superviusor so i could get me some free grub or jumped over the counter and made the dam food myself.
But like... what am I meant to say?

Give me a free apple pie whilst I wait because your employees are so freaking slow? I mean.. I probably have to wait another 5mins to get the free food.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
pffft, $100 "legal maximum" sif. @ woolies it used to be $300 max, but they recently bumped it up to $1000 max - even then u can get more, just needs supervisor approval

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)