Sage Thread (1 Viewer)

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Basically a thread for current students and graduates to share their advice for the newbies.

I'll start:

Refrain from being shy when you first start. Chances are there are a lot of other people who don't know anyone so everyone is open for conversation. Don't let that window close.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Refrain from being shy when you first start. Chances are there are a lot of other people who don't know anyone so everyone is open for conversation. Don't let that window close.
^ That.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
In regards to payments, if you are applying for HECS, make sure you have a Tax File Number (TFN) prepared to avoid the rush.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
When writing up your reference list or bibliography, ALWAYS comply with the guidelines given in the assessment outline. A lot of people have dropped marks because they have focused too much on their content and failed to record the references properly.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Do extra revision on top of tutes every day (or minimum every 2 days).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
how and when do i apply for HECS?
I can't speak for the other universities but during enrollment at USYD, you are given a set of forms to fill out with one of them pertaining to payment. Make sure you have your Tax File Number ready if you are applying for HECS.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I applied for my Tax file number about 3-4 months ago and still haven't received it, does that mean that my only solution is paying semester 1 upfront? My parents have the money but I don't want to place a burden on them.

I can't wait for uni :p

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I applied for my Tax file number about 3-4 months ago and still haven't received it, does that mean that my only solution is paying semester 1 upfront? My parents have the money but I don't want to place a burden on them.

Contact the ATO and see what has happened.

You don't need a TFN at enrollment per se, but you do need to declare before the census date (when you can no longer change your units for the semester).

izzy88

HSC

there's generally a section on the form which says that you have applied for TFN but it hasn't arrived yet (or something like that). As OsKo said, you just need to get the TFN to them before the census date (normally a couple of weeks into semester).

3-4 months seems a bit long to get a TFN....I reckon you should call up ATO and ask what has happened.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
there's generally a section on the form which says that you have applied for TFN but it hasn't arrived yet (or something like that). As OsKo said, you just need to get the TFN to them before the census date (normally a couple of weeks into semester).

3-4 months seems a bit long to get a TFN....I reckon you should call up ATO and ask what has happened.
Aye. When I applied for my TFN, I probably got mine within a week.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If looking for accommodation, get in early. Once February hits, everything starts filling up rapidly.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Avoid buying textbooks at your on-campus bookstore (e.g. Co-Op). Either borrow, buy second-hand or buy online.

booko.com.au is a great source for finding the cheapest prices for books.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Have a look out for some interesting clubs you may like to join during your university's respective O-Week. Joining a club is a great way to meet new people and network while also doing something you enjoy in a chill social setting.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Arrive to your first tutorial late....that way you can sit next to the hot chicks :)
or

OR

Don't be a crepe and get in early, get the choice of girl and sit next to them from the get-go.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
when you buy lunch, plz do not get garlic/tabouli

beverages are cheaper from the pharmacy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)