• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

School Certificate Help. (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
x3.eddayyeeee said:
not going full dw. concentrating on HSC ; MX1.
*sighs* mega fail here i come. :haha:
its just crazy how people get 100 in geo. O__O"
seriously you will not fail, my little sister wagged 3/4 of the year and still got band 4s and 5s

-tal-

HSC
*sigh*

History and geography, you actually have to study for. Whatever long responses you had to do throughout the year will be tested. ie some personality study, 1969 referendum stuff, a migrant issue etc

Science? Look through your book 5 times. That's it.

suzlee

HSC
speedofsound said:
Awww at the 11ers now turning up. :D I was wondering when we'd start getting some.

Me too!
It's a never ending cycle of life :eek:

HSC
x3.eddayyeeee said:
Hey peoples. My first post ever. :party:
So here it goes :;

Well, im going to be doing my SC this year.
Not worried about it as it is pretty pointless , yet I still would like a good result to boost confidence going into HSC.
This involved me putting in the study ; yet I dont know what exactly to study for.
I've looked around on the BoardofStudies webstite, yet it was useless.
Is it the entire 7-10 syllabus for that particular subject.
Can anyone give me any ideas?
The school certificate is pretty easy, even if you start studying 1 month till the exams you can still get high marks.

Learn from the textbooks and do as much past papers as you can before the exams.

For English practise writing stories, letters, articles etc. Practise writing short responses.

For Science, History and Geography, basically try and learn from the textbooks and do summaries of the main topics so you remember them + do past papers.

For Math practise papers.

For Computing Skills (this is very easy, only multiple choice) just do past papers aswell.

Good Luck :headbang:

perilakon

HSC
I thought it was getting taken out for Yr 10 2009? Or am I deluded? Probably the latter...

I just sat the School Cert and it was pretty much memorising things. As ConquerDiscover said, it's pretty much textbook and past papers that teach you everything you need to know.

Computer skills... I played around with Microsoft Word for an hour and figured out all the answers like that once I got to the exam because I had used it all.

English is really just writing all types of texts (narratives, newspaper report...) and also interpreting things, but that's not that hard. Short answers are the ones that get you, there aren't enough lines and they don't expect any more than what they've given.

The other things... if you earn everything concisely and remember key points and dates, you'll be fine.

As for all subjects, just do past papers and you'll get the general idea of what is required.

Best of luck for it! =D

random-1005

Banned
HSC
x3.eddayyeeee said:

Not worried about it as it is pretty pointless , yet I still would like a good result to boost confidence going into HSC.
This involved me putting in the study ; yet I dont know what exactly to study for.
haha your worried about year 10, i just breezed through yr10, i just keep up with homework and assignments and studied for like a week in the term 3 holidays (as the school cert is in the first week back if memory serves me correct).

and i got all band 5's
english 81
science 82
geography 83
history 89
maths 89
and comp studies i got like 90% or something (comp studies is a complete joke, it is just very basic comp stuff)

Your in yr10, enjoy it while you can, because from yr11-12 you will have much less free time.

Additionally, once you go for your hsc your school certificate will mean pretty much nothing (assuming u are going for hsc).

Last edited:

randomnessss

HSC
Uni Grad
x3.eddayyeeee said:

Hmm...SC is pretty damn easy.

Exams:
English - it shouldn't be challenging because they mark the writing tasks very easily (i.e. marks on spelling, grammar & punctuation).
Maths - basic mathematical concepts and topics are tested (i.e. arithmetic, data, basic trig, graphs, probability, simple algebra and simple measurement).
Science - try to revise for science slightly by going over the topics one month before the exams.
Geography - the exam is easy if you know the information or can just write related things and argue those points. Just try to remember the stuff in class and then you should be fine.
History - the exam is pretty flexible in terms of what you can write since you can write a lot for the extended responses (I ran out of space and I normally write about only two thirds of the amount of lines I'm given ==''). Doing revision questions for short and long answer really do help because it consolidates your knowledge and gives you an idea of what to expect and how you can improve. The Excel guide was pretty helpful (I don't suggest it for any other subjects though).
Computer skills - if you know how to use a computer, you should be fine.

+ Do study notes and exam questions for Science, Geo and History.

I ended up only studying properly for history though and got mostly band 6's. =P

Last edited:

x3.eddayyeeee

HSC
Brontecat said:
I just thought i'd help with history since that was my best subject - these notes helped me to get a band 6 =]

anyway this is all u need to know
-the 1950s is from an excel book that somebody posted last year
-the vietnam war is also taken from another boredofstudies member - the last page is rllly all u need to know (as long as you elaborate)
-in the last one "Changing rights and freedoms" you pick migrants, women or aboriginals. I did aboriginals so thats the one thats the most thorough. It directly follows the syllabus, and for the migrants and women the three questions for each of them are all you need to know, but seeing as i wasnt too detailed i would try find out a bit more to answer the questions.

GOOD LUCK :hippie:
^_^ . awesome. =)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Without further ado, here is my word of advice.

School Certificate tests basically everything ranging from yr 7 topics to yr 10 topics. However, it is not necessary to go through all topics from yr 7 to yr 10 just to excel in it.

The best preparation for the School Certificate are past papers. Download them and print them out from the Board of Studies website and do the questions.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Well i didn't even do this but if you actually wrote down things in your exercise books for year 9 and 10, skim through that before the exam/when you're tusyding.

Trust me, you can get high marks rather easily... it isn't hard at all and many people (like me) just walk in and get good results :)

And even if you don't get good results, it isn't the end of the world :D

h3ll h0und

HSC
umm for sc ... if ur fairly good at maths u dont really need to study just a few weeks before the SC exam do as many past sc papers and then identify where u went wrong (theyre most likely gonna be silly mistakes) then note down wat u need to do to avoid these mistakes and keep practicing until u get 100 percent....and even if u get 100 percent keep doing it so that ur time managment skills get better and better until they can no longer improve xD.

for science just get the science study guide yrs 9-10 at the end of term 3 and read through it and ull get at least a high band 5.

for hsie/geo...just listen in class,scab notes from here and there, memorise 5-10 geographical words u can use in extended response quesitons and noe how to do an RAP (research action plan).

thats basically wat i did....and i hardly studied from term 1-3

h3ll h0und

HSC
also in the SC maths exam u shud consider doing the non-multiple choice questions first becuz ull be fresh and less likely to make mistakes and since they are usually awarded 2> marks it will be good if u make no silly mistakes in them (which i noe i did) xD and after u finish the multiple choice u shud hav chance to check them again to make sure u made no silly mistakes

byakuya kuchiki

HSC
umm for sc ... if ur fairly good at maths u dont really need to study just a few weeks before the SC exam do as many past sc papers and then identify where u went wrong (theyre most likely gonna be silly mistakes) then note down wat u need to do to avoid these mistakes and keep practicing until u get 100 percent....and even if u get 100 percent keep doing it so that ur time managment skills get better and better until they can no longer improve xD.

for science just get the science study guide yrs 9-10 at the end of term 3 and read through it and ull get at least a high band 5.

for hsie/geo...just listen in class,scab notes from here and there, memorise 5-10 geographical words u can use in extended response quesitons and noe how to do an RAP (research action plan).

thats basically wat i did....and i hardly studied from term 1-3
LIES ajmain...-_-...you studied your butt off during both year 9 and 10 =P

h3ll h0und

HSC
LIES ajmain...-_-...you studied your butt off during both year 9 and 10 =P
id prefer it if u didnt mention my real name WANG ... and i spent most of last year studying for prelim maths and chemistry not for SC o_O and a bit of geo and hisotry cuz i knew id get band 3-4 otherwise. plus i didnt really study much last year...just studied effectively lol :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)