• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

School funding (1 Viewer)

pig_93

HSC
i understand about the whole middle class thing.
but even these middle class people have to have a substantial amount of money to send their kids their. so therefore, uppermiddle is a more correct term.
the fees the people pay for their children's schools are so high that these schools are actually making a profit.

sounds a little like a business, doenst it?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
They're not just uppermiddle.
Some private school fee's are only 4000-8000 a year, most middle-class families can afford that if they choose to make a substantial investment in a private school.

Vahl

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
They're not just uppermiddle.
Some private school fee's are only 4000-8000 a year, most middle-class families can afford that if they choose to make a substantial investment in a private school.

Starting at ONLY 4000-8000 a year. If you have 3 kids that is 12000-24000 a year. Most families cannot afford that if you consider that:

Average yearly earnings(family with 2 full time employed): $79664

Income tax: $19459.52

Average Mortgage repayments(for owner occupiers) : $22880

Average expenditure on food/lowest 3 quintiles of income): $9880

Even with this simple calculation, the amount of income left over for all other expenses(bills etc) is $27,424.48. When you factor in other costs such as car registration, tithe, fuel, clothing, furniture, recreation and healthcare there is clearly little to spend on private education, at least without sacrificing treats and other normal things that parents want for their children. Especially when most private school fees are significantly higher than those suggested and often have other costs associated with them such as uniform costs, sporting club membership, camps, and laptops etc in addition to other school contributions expected of parents. Clearly not everyone can afford private schooling and so the argument that it is a right of parents to choose to send their children to a private school is unfair and discriminatory.

source: www.abs.gov.au

Last edited by a moderator:

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
keep in mind private schools have a discount for families who have more than one child attending at once...i cant give you a figure off hand from my school...but i know it is quite significant.

Vahl

HSC
Meads said:
keep in mind private schools have a discount for families who have more than one child attending at once...i cant give you a figure off hand from my school...but i know it is quite significant.
Nevertheless private schooling is not in the reach of most people. If it is not in the reach of one person, then it shouldn't be in the reach of anyone. It furthers a class divide and class system, ie a persons options will depend on their background more on their ability ...... note similarity with discrimination against native africans in Australia, South Africa, US etc.

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
GO public schools

I dont get private schools, parents pay tens of thousands for their children per year, yet they also get lots of government funding. I wasting my TAX for people i dont even know who go to private schools!!!
WTF?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well you are also 'wasting' your tax on the healthcare of some seriously injured people you dont even know, and you are 'wasting' it on supporting a disabled pensioner you dont even know. WTF?

jennylim

HSC
Vangineer said:
GO public schools

I dont get private schools, parents pay tens of thousands for their children per year, yet they also get lots of government funding. I wasting my TAX for people i dont even know who go to private schools!!!
WTF?
ah, but my parents also waste their taxes paying for your school if you want to put it like that. they fork out the money to pay for my education as well as supporting the public sector even when i don't use it.

that is why the government funds us. and if they take it away, the prices will jump to over $20 000 per annum, which is waaaay out of reach for soo many ppl at my school whose parents work very very hard to keep them there.

so that's why most people "get" private schools, but i highly doubt you're going to agree - i'll just post it to illuminate anyone else who may be interested. and thanks, deus, for ur comment :uhhuh:

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
Far from it, private schools get much less government funding
It isn't as though they are being dramatically short-changed, though.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well the % spent per student from the government is quite dramatic

But no, under the current system i don't believe they're being short changed (perhaps some of the smaller ones could be).

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
well a lot of ppl recon that the government funds private schools new buildings like state of the art pool and gym etc, but that's not true. And I know, this because I went to 2 private school for 11 years (the others being split between selective and public schools). We can afford to get new facilities because the parents are forced to pay through the nose with 'building contributions', fundraising etc.

And no, not all private school ppl are rich. We certainly weren't. We were a 1 income family with a morgage, and i was lucky enough to be sent to a private school.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Most of the "OMG TAKE FUNDING FROM PRIVATE SKOOLZ" seems to stem from jealousy and misunderstanding. I would support people saying 'give more funding to schools', however the whole 'take funding FROM private schools and GIVE IT to us' is just human nature at its worst.

A

assman

Not-That-Bright said:
Most of the "OMG TAKE FUNDING FROM PRIVATE SKOOLZ" seems to stem from jealousy and misunderstanding. I would support people saying 'give more funding to schools', however the whole 'take funding FROM private schools and GIVE IT to us' is just human nature at its worst.

yerrr. stinking public schools shouldnt even exist in the first place. rude little buggers. full of asians and muslims. im so glad PLC taught me how to be a better person.

jennylim

HSC
assman said:
yerrr. stinking public schools shouldnt even exist in the first place. rude little buggers. full of asians and muslims. im so glad PLC taught me how to be a better person.
are you even supporting us, or are you trolling and giving the "see we're so dumb that we must be wrong" opposition?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)