• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

School funding (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
amoz_lilo said:
i'm not going to dignify this thread with an answer

/too late
right on, sister.

if only these guys spent the day with ms king.[/personal joke]

Miliux

Livin' in Amsterdam
HSC
Vangineer said:
GO public schools

I dont get private schools, parents pay tens of thousands for their children per year, yet they also get lots of government funding. I wasting my TAX for people i dont even know who go to private schools!!!
WTF?
Correction. Private school students SAVE you money. The government subsidise less on private schools compared to public, which means they save money.

Miliux

Livin' in Amsterdam
HSC
Put it this way. Private schools have culture and value them. Public schools only meet the minimal requiement. eg. flag raising.

That's how i see it.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Miliux said:
Put it this way. Private schools have culture and value them. Public schools only meet the minimal requiement. eg. flag raising.

That's how i see it.
you are so unbelievably ignorant.

stainmepink

HSC
Miliux said:

That's how i see it.

culture? what is this that you speak of?

waterfowl

HSC
Miliux said:

That's how i see it.
Most of my friends who come from private schools are less cultured than I (public school), and place less value on it than I do.

stainmepink

HSC
waterfowl said:
Most of my friends who come from private schools are less cultured than I (public school), and place less value on it than I do.

exactly. my point of view as well.

tempco

HSC
culture and value? puhleez... you got a hella rosy view of private schools.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Miliux said:

That's how i see it.
this quote and this quote alone proves to me how unbelievably ignorant and generalising you are. It also proves to me that you see everything in black and white. Private or Public. Cultured or Uncultured.

I think your post is a contradiction.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Miliux said:
Correction. Private school students SAVE you money. The government subsidise less on private schools compared to public, which means they save money.
Nope, thats not correct. They dont save the government money. Believe it or not, whether the goverment threw a bucket of cash at them or not, parents would still consider sending their kids to private schools, simply because they put a higher value on the education offered.

That's not to say the government shouldn't fund them. They should provide financial and educational assistance to ensure that these schools meet standards. But they should also provide financial and educational assistance to government schools to ensure that they too meet these standards.

Last edited:

stainmepink

HSC
ok my spiel.

if i were a parent, the only thing id consider my kids going to a private school is for the better teachers. and maybe the resources. not the "culture", not the prestige, not for social reasons, not for having a "better environment". private schools generally have better teachers than public schools, purely because private schools can choose who to employ, while the state schools get the alll the teachers allocated to them, whether theyre good or not. if i wanted a better school environment, id try my kids for selective. In a selective schools, generally the kids there want to do their best, either being pushed hard by their parents, or have great motivation and a geniune aspiration to do well in school. and theres not much of the tall poppy syndrome going on in a selective school, because well ... it speaks for itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Miliux said:

That's how i see it.
Hahahaha, that's a good one. Have you ever heard about a school called Trinity Grammar?. . . those boarders apparently got busted teaching the junior students a bit about culture and values.

I went to a public school and it's kinda different to what happens in public schools, but each to their own I guess.

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Miliux said:
That's right, people seem to forget this

Miliux said:

That's how i see it.
Ugh. One good thought followed by one unbelievably bad one.

stainmepink

HSC
ok moonlight sonata explain to me how on earth private schools carry on their so called values and more importantly "culture". you tell me. what is this so called "culture" and what does it involve? how does it surpass public school culture?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
gobaby said:
ok moonlight sonata explain to me how on earth private schools carry on their so called values and more importantly "culture". you tell me. what is this so called "culture" and what does it involve? how does it surpass public school culture?
Um, you might want to re-read my post. If you do you will realise I criticised the comment, I did not approve it.

stainmepink

HSC
oh i see ... i thought u meant the good point was the one about private school culture and the bad one was about the flag raising issue.

ok my bad. and im glad you share the same viewpoint as me :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes and if anything I should think "values" (which without a clear description and contextual grounding are really misleading and hollow entities of rhetoric) are more prominent in public schools... but that's another argument

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)