• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

School funding (2 Viewers)

stainmepink

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Yes and if anything I should think "values" (which without a clear description and contextual grounding are really misleading and hollow entities of rhetoric) are more prominent in public schools... but that's another argument

mmhmm lets see your point ... go on ..

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
gobaby said:
mmhmm lets see your point ... go on ..
Basically I would have thought that diversity of students would encourage tolerance, and that being surrounded by a large proportion of wealthy students, albeit not all, might tend to produce some snobbery, pride, materialism, intolerance and ignorance, all to some probably small but relevant degree, moreover more likely in comparison to public schools.

stainmepink

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Basically I would have thought that diversity of students would encourage tolerance, and that being surrounded by a large proportion of wealthy students, albeit not all, might tend to produce some snobbery, pride, materialism, intolerance and ignorance, all to some probably small but relevant degree, moreover more likely in comparison to public schools.

i agree with you to a certain extent. infact thats what my dad has been saying for years. infact who are u? did you ever go to a private school?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Let me explain what happens if you ELIMINATE private schools...

- Large influx of students entering the public school system, students who were previously much CHEAPER for the government, become the same price as all the others. Thus, in the end resources are EVEN MORE stretched.

Let me explain what happens if you push the level of funding towards private schools down...

- Large influx of students enter the private school system, same as above. Very rich students join schools that ONLY the richest of the rich can join, they get the best teachers etc of course.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason why our state governments should have more money to spend on public schools is because there is a growing shift towards private/independant schools, whom's students are alot cheaper for t he government.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
gobaby said:
i agree with you to a certain extent. infact thats what my dad has been saying for years. infact who are u? did you ever go to a private school?
heh you seem suprised I can be against cutting private school funding but think values may be more prominent in public schools. I'm usually never on one extreme, often my own reasoning leads me to a position of balance -- not because neutrality is good per se, but often balanced positions happen to be the correct ones, in my opinion

No, I went to a public selective school.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
I agree although I don't understand what you meant by the "diversity of students would encourage tolerance" point.

Because the same could be siad in reverse about tolerance from students in public school towards students in private schools. The attitudes that public school people hold towards private school people e.g private school ppl are snobs, materialistic etc could be fostered in a public school environment where students are surrounded by people of similar background.

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
jennylim said:
ah, but my parents also waste their taxes paying for your school if you want to put it like that. they fork out the money to pay for my education as well as supporting the public sector even when i don't use it.
Very true. It all works both ways; we're supporting all the community with our taxes.

Look, I genuinely don't mind. Many people choose to go to a private school because of good reasons. I heard this Jewish family pulled their children out of a government school and put them in a private school, because they were angry with the way kids were forced to sing Christmas carols. A private school allowed their children to follow their own faith happily and undisturbed.

Also, private schools may be better-funded and better-able to cope with children with special needs, such as disabled children. Quite frequently, private schools have better extracurricular facilities. eg sporting or musical. And my parents are big about the whole "discipline" thing; from what I've heard the private schools may expel/suspend troublesome students more easily than public ones. As someone else said, the teachers are better in private schools, as they can pick and choose, as opposed to being allocated teachers.

Plus, if you want to do a "boutique subject" as my SDD teacher dubbed them, like Classical Greek, which only has a handful of students and costs the school a lot of money, there is a greater chance of a private school offering it.

On the other hand, many people choose public schools because of the mixed and non-elitist environment they perceive. Public schools also tend to do less of a spoon-feeding job, and many think it's a better representation of the reality of adulthood as opposed to a cottonwool existence in a private school. I also think the selective schools unit is an excellent one; trust me, I was supposed to go to Ruse, but...long story...

I know you all think you're wasting your taxes on private schools, but I think they're a valid alternative for many people, as the public system was designed to only cater for the "masses". Even as a private school student, I think the fees charged are pretty exorbitent, and think the policies of the Catholic schools are a good idea. Unfortunately this would never work as the cost of living is so high. It's the fees that bring in all the good teachers and facilities. You can't win.

**sigh** I've just contradicted myself so many times.

waterfowl

HSC
stella8h8chang said:
\As someone else said, the teachers are better in private schools, as they can pick and choose, as opposed to being allocated teachers.
I don't agree with that.

The majority of people I know who went to private schools have only bad things to say about their teachers, I have never heard of one good teacher from them.
Whereas I, from a public school, have only ever had really good teachers (with the exception of one or two).

better-able to cope with children with special needs, such as disabled children. Quite frequently, private schools have better extracurricular facilities. eg sporting or musical
Both my primary and secondary schools had excellent programs for disabled children, my primary school was even refitted to cater for a girl who required the use of a wheelchair.
And both also had great music programs (I don't really care for sport); my primary was very big on music. They also had countless after school programs throughout the year for sports, art, music, drama etc etc.

I don't think the fact that a school is private or public has anything to do with its quality.
It all has to do with how passionate the teachers and staff are, and how close/caring/compassionate the school community is; and also your opinion of it.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sarah said:
I agree although I don't understand what you meant by the "diversity of students would encourage tolerance" point.

Because the same could be siad in reverse about tolerance from students in public school towards students in private schools. The attitudes that public school people hold towards private school people e.g private school ppl are snobs, materialistic etc could be fostered in a public school environment where students are surrounded by people of similar background.
No, because that is one mere stereotype of a type of student (as well as a stereotype that might well be held if one were to attend a private school). The values I'm talking about are broad world-values, not mere student stereotypes.

waterfowl said:
I don't agree with that.

The majority of people I know who went to private schools have only bad things to say about their teachers, I have never heard of one good teacher from them.
Whereas I, from a public school, have only ever had really good teachers (with the exception of one or two)
Yeah same. A lot of people I know who went to private schools say the teachers weren't very good. Of course this isn't necessarily definitive but I suspect it really is representative of the case.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Sarah - Sure, your parents help pay for private students... however, private students cost the government less! You should be thankful that there are so many students in the private system, saving money to be spent on you!

MLS/Waterfowl - The teachers at my public school and the teachers at my private school were basically the same, and this is going from a "BAD" public school and to a "GOOD" private school.
The difference, is that there weren't AS MANY students who were simply misfits, there to smoke drugs, start fights... etc. The resources didn't make TOO much of a difference (except for in subjects like art), students generally disrespected the resources (as they do in public schools), however at my public school windows were constantly broken, stuff was stolen, etc. Drowning any ability to pay for new computers or whatever in the need to repair expensive large windows.

jennylim

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
not really...there actually is quite a diverse range of students at my school. there are hardly any snobby princesses, and the ones that are there are not respected. if anything we get a lot of intolerance from the local public school - the girls there always make a point of giving us dirty looks and yelling insults at us. stereotypes go both ways.

and about bad teachers - maybe the ppl u know are whingers? lol anyway i think there's always going to be a mix wherever u are. atm i have fantastic teachers who i love - but i have had my share of not so good. i love private education for the huge range of co-curricular things offered and the environment...

anyway that's just my opinion.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
The difference, is that there weren't AS MANY students who were simply misfits, there to smoke drugs, start fights... etc. The resources didn't make TOO much of a difference (except for in subjects like art), students generally disrespected the resources (as they do in public schools), however at my public school windows were constantly broken, stuff was stolen, etc. Drowning any ability to pay for new computers or whatever in the need to repair expensive large windows.
Thats so true, many of these non-selective government schools are in really bad nick because some of the kids that go to them dont value the education that they get.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea, and while there are alot of kids at private schools who don't respect what they're given, i find that the more destructive (in my experience) kids seem to go to public schools.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
jennylim said:
not really...there actually is quite a diverse range of students at my school. there are hardly any snobby princesses, and the ones that are there are not respected. if anything we get a lot of intolerance from the local public school - the girls there always make a point of giving us dirty looks and yelling insults at us. stereotypes go both ways
In comparison though, I would think it more likely in private schools

Yes stereotypes are everywhere, which was my point. I'm not talking about stereotypes, rather 'values'

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
MLS/Waterfowl - The teachers at my public school and the teachers at my private school were basically the same, and this is going from a "BAD" public school and to a "GOOD" private school.
I agree, I think one of the main differences is discipline.

I would have thought though, that drug use proportions would be relatively similar because wealthier students have the means to obtain them.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Sarah - Sure, your parents help pay for private students... however, private students cost the government less! You should be thankful that there are so many students in the private system, saving money to be spent on you!
:confused: NTB, sorry, hope i didn't imply in any of my posts that private schools shouldn't get funding. Apologies if i did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)