• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Science Game (1 Viewer)

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Brontecat said:
Dr. Ian Frazer and the garadsil vaccination - type it into google there's heaps on it

THANKYOU!
:shy:

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Brontecat said:
the analogies one just means relate it to something like a tap where the water pump is the source- the voltage; a bottleneck increases the resistance; a tap is the switch that controls the current.

Advantages of parallel and series circuits
Parallel - if one bulb blows the other won't, better for large amounts
Series - Cheaper to make, simple, uses less power

basically the disadvantages are the opposites

sorry i took so long to respond :(

hope this helps though, with the advantages and disadvantages its just common sense, imagine if you have all your christmas tree lights parallel or series
Thanks for that.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
This Q was in the 2005 test for short answers.. Not sure about the answer D:

Q:Name a type of electromagnetic radiation used in communications:
A:Microwaves, or radiowaves

Q:identify one advantage and one disadvantage of uusing this type of electromagnetic radiation for communication..:confused:

Brontecat

HSC
Radiowaves:
Advantage - they can be used over long distances
Disadvantage - they have are of a poor quality e.g. AM as opposed to FM

Microwaves:
Advantage - they are of a high quality?? (not too sure 'bout this one)
Disadvantage - They can not travel very far

nobby11

HSC
another advantage of radiowaves is the fact that they can travel through different mediums eg. submarine to tower and they can be tuned to different signals

suzlee

HSC
Do we have to know about simple machines? I have no recollection of that topic. :(

Brontecat

HSC
there shouldn't be any on simple machines - its in the syllabus but the most they would give you is a skills question in the multiple choice

suzlee

HSC
Brontecat said:
there shouldn't be any on simple machines - its in the syllabus but the most they would give you is a skills question in the multiple choice

Okay, good.

I just realised I don't know how to write a scientific report. Can someone outline the basic structure? eg aim, method, result, bladiblah

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
I can't remember anything about crustal places D:

Relate movements of the Earth's plates to convection currents in the mantle and to gravitational forces (this is from the syllabus)

Brontecat

HSC
here's an example of one i did in year 8 (sorry its not finished)

Experiment/title- Which brand of glue works best?

Aim: To find out which brand of glue works best, crayola, marbig or bostik.
Hypothesis: That the bostik glue will work the best. I think this because it has worked well in the past. It is also made for bonding things such as paper, cardboard, fabric, beads and photographs. To me this shows that it is made to be a strong adhesive across all areas of pasting.
Risk assessment:
a) potential hazards- gets stuck in your hair, flicks up into your eyes or mouth, toxic if inhaled, paper cuts, gets into lunch via fingers after playing with glue.
b) Safety precautions- hair tied back, safety goggles, surgeon mask, gloves, round paper edges and good ventilation.
Equipment:
x1 marbig, clear glue, glue stick
x1 bostik, blue glue, glue stick
x1 crayola, school glue, glue stick
x1 packet of shakes, bright sprinkles
x3 sheets of blank paper made by reflex
x1 pair of safety goggles
x1 mask (surgeon styled)
x1 pair of gloves
hair ties
Procedure:
1. Apply a line of marbig glue onto the reflex paper.
2. Now get out 15 individual sprinkles and sprinkle them onto the adhered stripe of glue.
3. Now wait 30 seconds and gently shake the paper.
4. Now count the amount that fell off.
5. Then repeat steps 1-4 using 1minute then 2 minutes for step 4.
6. Once that is done you then repeat steps 1-5 using the bostik and the crayola sticks.
Controlled variables Independent variables Dependant variables

Repeat or replicate: I repeated this experiment 3 times.
Results:

Conclusion: I found out that the bostik glue worked best after testing it against the other adhesives, as explained in the aim.
Evaluation: The difficulties I experienced were in the procedure, as I had to ensure that the pieces of paper were shaken the same and not harder than others otherwise that would give a misleading result.

I think that the information gathered is fairly reliable although if you wanted to know what brand worked best in the entire world, it would take ages as you would have to test all the glues. You would also need to get a shaking machine so that you can give a set speed and roughness of the shaking. So my experiment is probably not that reliable from that angle. Although it is if you like those brands and want to find out which is best this experiment would be suitable.

I believe that my data measures what it was intended for as we were never expected to test all the glue in the world or to have the money to buy expensive machinery. (E.g. Shaking arm.)

Brontecat

HSC
could someone please explain the variables to me - controlled, independent & dependent

i remember my teacher saying something about what you will change? what you will keep the same? and what you will measure? but i can't remember which is which

suzlee

HSC
Brontecat said:
could someone please explain the variables to me - controlled, independent & dependent

i remember my teacher saying something about what you will change? what you will keep the same? and what you will measure? but i can't remember which is which

Controlled doesn't change

Independent variables are the ones that YOU change. eg the amount of glue you use, and the amount of sprinkles you put on the paper

Dependent variables are the ones that you don't have control over. eg the amount of sprinkles that come off when you shake the paper

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Brontecat said:

Independent variables- What you change
Dependent variables- relies on what you change, ie the effect of what you are changing
Controlls- possible varibles such as temp ph etc you keep constant to maintain good experimental technique

ZacA888

HSC
With the periodic table, how do you know the Groups & what not?

rolror88

HSC
N/A
ZacA888 said:
With the periodic table, how do you know the Groups & what not?

What do you mean? Each column is a group, so group 1 is first column.. group 2 is second column, and so on. Then there's transition metals (which in year 10 we're taught they don't count as groups) and then its group 3, the first column after the transition metals.

ZacA888

HSC
So what does each group have, because I just did a BOS MC & I had no idea. It's in the 2001 SC. It asked about what element would be least reactive with the others, & one about what elements are the metals.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
To answer your q:
well theres a zigzag line separating metals from non metals, just look up period table on google images, most should have it on there. It basically starts between boron and carbon, then zigzags down the right, but i cant explain it, just look it up.
And your second question, groups (verticle columns) all have the same electron configuration, and group 1, 7 are most reactive, group 2,6 are next reactive, but within these groups, the reactivity increases as you move down. Eg in group 1, rubidium is more reactive than lithium, even though they both need to gain 1 electron to become stable...
eep.
i dont think i explained that well XD

My turn now.
Write the word equation for both respiration and photosynthesis.

Jumper :^)

HSC
Hey does anyone know if we're meant to know about Australian scientists for the SC? For the yearlies we were meant to study an Australian female scientist... I've forgotten all about her.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
^ apparantly so, but at most it will be a 3 mark question, so just state their name, their discovery and its impact, one sentence on each. Don't study her heaps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)