Design
& Development

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

[HR][/HR]

Hi everyone Spiral here! RAWR!

I have come to make an SDD thread, hopefully it will encourage most posts in the SDD section as I know there is a lot of you guys/girls doing this course!

The purpose of this thread is to:

• Provide SDD resources, this could include past papers, notes, etc.
  • Post questions, though my knowledge of SDD is insufficient to help humans, hopefully people will contribute. ("SDD Marathon type questions")
  • Post innovative ideas and concepts beyond the syllabus just for fun.
  • Code!
  • Share any tips and advice if you are a past, current or future student.
  • Or just chat! :)

<tbody> </tbody>

[HR][/HR]

I have accumulated a variety of resources that I would like to share

Resources: (Coming soon)

[HR][/HR]

[2011 Q19 HSC]

<tbody>
</tbody>

[2001 Q19 Barker]

<tbody>
</tbody>

<condition><text>

[2004 Q21 HSC]

<tbody>
</tbody>

[HR][/HR]
Let the fun begin! Hopefully.</text></condition>

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Aww Spiral has no SDD friends to play with :(
You can always make a Physics version of this :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Currently deciding amongst a few things, maybe something to do with London 2012.

Schneezle

HSC
Uni Grad
My major project was a game of Monopoly, and I did the Software Developer's View of the Hardware as an elective.

Unfortunately no notes, as they are at my house, and I moved for Uni :(

But advice... I'll be surprised if there isn't a question involving fish, and make sure you know the differences between sorts, and know what the pseudocode for each looks like, but I'm not sure how likely it is you will have to write a full sorting algorithm.

Hardware-elective people, make sure you know how to follow and generate a circuit diagram.

Not a comprehensive list of tips, just some things I wish I did better...

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
My dream goal is 93+. Though the chances of that happening are the chances of pigs flying.

Yes, the fish tendency. BOS going healthy every year...

I find the SDD course quite bland. Am I missing content or is this true? Lastly, will what you make for your major work affect you in any way?

Schneezle

HSC
Uni Grad
It is sort of bland, not deathly dull, just bland.

That said, our teacher did all the coursework as quickly as possible, so we spent a tonne of time just writing code, so that bit was excellent. We even watched a movie or two (Pirates of Silicon Valley, some other thing). It all depends on the teacher, I suppose...

And major work affecting me? What, as a person? I dunno, it's just Monopoly, hardly life-changing...but START IT EARLY. You don't really need any theory for it, you just need to be able to write code, and you can document it when you learn that stuff.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
It is sort of bland, not deathly dull, just bland.

That said, our teacher did all the coursework as quickly as possible, so we spent a tonne of time just writing code, so that bit was excellent. We even watched a movie or two (Pirates of Silicon Valley, some other thing). It all depends on the teacher, I suppose...
I find for Physics, you need a solid intuition of the concepts. But with SDD, I find it lacks detail (examination questions.)

Sorry to bombard you with questions but do you think there's any merit in doing the old computing studies exams?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Also I meant what affect does it have on your marks. I remember, I think this year's not sure required you to discuss your major project.

Schneezle

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha, go nuts with the questions, I have nothing to do all night, I got a 94 for SDD, and I like helping people.

The past exams are worth doing, teaching style and internal tests all vary wildly, and it's good to have an exact idea of what to expect in terms of style. And the major project, in the majority of cases, will be mostly documentation, so do something within your abilities, document it well, and shoot for 100% :)

Also, sorry for slow replies, Internet is over the monthly cap...

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Haha, go nuts with the questions, I have nothing to do all night, I got a 94 for SDD, and I like helping people.

The past exams are worth doing, teaching style and internal tests all vary wildly, and it's good to have an exact idea of what to expect in terms of style. And the major project, in the majority of cases, will be mostly documentation, so do something within your abilities, document it well, and shoot for 100% :)

Also, sorry for slow replies, Internet is over the monthly cap...
So I don't think what you code is relevant? Just the documentation, funny my proposal is due tomorrow and most of the class left it until the last minute. :D

But the teacher said he will mark it easy since our previous teacher did not really explain the concepts well enough to us.

Schneezle

HSC
Uni Grad
Ooh, easy marking - this means, work as hard as normal, reap the rewards. The project itself doesn't matter - something that opens a text file can get as many marks, theoretically, as a full-on video game (it would have to be a damn good text editor though...)

You will be marked on the project, don't get me wrong, but the majority is the documentation, just don't do something too hard or too easy.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Ooh, easy marking - this means, work as hard as normal, reap the rewards. The project itself doesn't matter - something that opens a text file can get as many marks, theoretically, as a full-on video game (it would have to be a damn good text editor though...)

You will be marked on the project, don't get me wrong, but the majority is the documentation, just don't do something too hard or too easy.
I would assume you are allowed to change the coding after the proposal?

Teach me your secrets to 94.

Schneezle

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, once you have the proposal, go nuts with the code - just don't change the idea, because opne of the criteria will, more than likely, be something along the lines of "Does the project do what it set out to do", so make sure your program fits the description (it can do extra, and this will only gain you marks). No less, though.

But to 94... don't make the project the sole source of your attention. Do other assessment tasks with just as much obsession, make sure you top the class, and go over notes and past exams until you're scoring fantastically on past papers (and no cheating on past papers, I did this for a paper and then realised how dumb it was).

But yeah. Once the project is done, and do it early, do theoretical stuff rather than learning to code - get good at exam technique, e.g. pulling at least 19/20 on the (usually easy) MC questions, and not writing too much for the longer response questions.

If, for example, a question is worth 2 marks, do not raise 3 points. Raise 2 points, and explain them well, in the available space.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)