Section 1, Part A - Multiple Choice (1 Viewer)

Coolwashy

HSC
Can anyone comfirm Q11? Was it C or D. If it's C then doesnt that make A.I the same thing as hybridisation? or are they the same thing? ahahahha shit

edit: i put D

eXanimo

HSC
Can anyone comfirm Q11? Was it C or D. If it's C then doesnt that make A.I the same thing as hybridisation? or are they the same thing? ahahahha shit

Because every new generation, the same biscuits are put back into the jar. In reality, the biscuits would change over time, because yellow biscuits would give birth to more yellow biscuits

mytstephen

HSC

It was C. Through A.I, they crossed two animals to get a hybrid. The resultant organism has genes from both the parents.
Grafting also makes hybrids but they aren't considered true hybrids- instead they have a mixture of cells from the two plants involved in the grafting.

I was so close to choosing D but I thought to myself 'how the hell do the genes from the two individual plants combine to make a hybrid?'

liz2814

HSC
Hey guys can anyone tell me approximately what mark im looking at? like from what everyone thinks the answers aree.. thankss :)
1. b
2. c
3. a
4. c
5. a
6. c
7. b
8. b
9. b
10. d
11. c
12. c
13. d
14. a
15. a
16. d
17. d
18. b
19. c
20. b

thankyouuuu

Ryan_T90

HSC
I think I only got like 11 or 12, that's shocking :( I definitely feel the multiple choice this year was a lot harder than previous years especially with the wording, but oh well, it's done so there isn't much I can do now.

hsc2012la

HSC
Can someone explain to me why 20 isn't D :|
It can't be D because the cream biscuits picked by the students represent organisms that have unfavourable characteristics within a population hence it's not a limitation of the investigation.

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Could someone please confirm 7 for me? I put B, but from some peoples answers, it is D ...

Mutliple choice was definitely difficult than previous years, majorly due to the wording of questions. Board of Studies need to start getting their game up.

HSC
N/A
This sucks :(

When I did past papers, i normally get at least 16/20, but from what I can see, i've gotten 13/20 this time around :(

emmkayyez

HSC
I got:
1. B
2. C
3. D (Don't know what I was thinking)
4. C
5. A
6. C
7. B
8. C (Again, don't know what I was thinking)
9. B (guessed)
10. A
11. D
12. C
13. D
14. A (unsure)
15. C (unsure)
16. D
17. D (unsure)
18. B
19. A (tbh, I don't remember what I put down.... Which means there could be a chance I accidently left it out)
20. B

As you can probably tell from my many wrong answers, I'm not very good at this subject LOL

harro619

HSC
Ok can someone help, for question 14 (what is the role of the kidney in freshwater fish), everyone is saying it is 'A', to remove water from the fish, but doesn't water move in and out of the fish via diffusion, i thought the answer was 'B', to absorb salt from the environment, can someone clarify why it is A.

HSC
Ok can someone help, for question 14 (what is the role of the kidney in freshwater fish), everyone is saying it is 'A', to remove water from the fish, but doesn't water move in and out of the fish via diffusion, i thought the answer was 'B', to absorb salt from the environment, can someone clarify why it is A.
I think the answer's A because the kidney's role is mainly osmoregulation, so controlling the water level. True, water moves in through diffusion. But by ur reasoning, salt also moves through diffusion, so I think the answer's A.
The wording of the questions was terrible this year!! And the multiple choice questions were pretty hard! Some of them, I thought all 4 options were correct :/

Last edited:

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Ok, I think A is correct because:
Its a freshwater fish which means inside the fish is a higher solute concentration than the surrouding water. That means heaps of water is going to move into the fish to try and dilute it and equalise the concentrations so the fish excretes copius amount of dilute water. Therefore, the fish needs its kidneys to excrete water from the fish. It is not the kidneys role to absorb salt from the environment - it maintains salt levels, yes, but it could just be that the wording of 'absorb salt from the environment' makes B wrong.

Last edited:

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I put B saying that to absorb salt from the environment. Option A sounded too vague saying that to remove water from the fish.... Obviously how much??? If you remove all the water from the fish... its going to die through dehydration??!
Option B sounded alright... saying that to absorb salt from the environment.... since the environment contains so less ions... it would want to maintain it's ion levels in the body as salt would move out of its body through diffusion. This would result in the fish secreting large amounts of dilute urine... The key word here is large.... it simply does not mean removing water... which could also be interpreted as removing all the water from the fish....
The role of the kidney is to maintain osmoregulation, however its function is to also excrete toxic nitrogenous wastes from the fish. So just saying to remove water does not sound right to me....or its just me because I put B!!

My source btw: http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes...lphysiology/osmoregulation/osmoregulation.htm
In the first stanza it says: The kidney absorbs the salts that are needed, and the rest of the water is excreted. So just by saying that it removes water is insufficient as the fish does need some amount of water in the body to maintain homeostatic balance. However, the kidney in the freshwater fish would remove large amounts of water. Large being the key word.

Last edited:

DEANius

HSC
Absorbing salt from the environment is the role of the gills. Water constantly moves INTO the fish as it is freshwater and so there is a higher concentration of water outside and via osmosis it moves inside. Kidney then reabsorbs less water and excretes most

Source: kidneys - "A primary function of the kidney is osmoregulation. In fresh water the kidney saves ions and excretes water"

http://vet.osu.edu/assets/courses/vm608/anatomy/anatomy.html

Last edited:

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Absorbing salt from the environment is the role of the gills. Water constantly moves INTO the fish as it is freshwater and so there is a higher concentration of water outside and via osmosis it moves inside. Kidney then reabsorbs less water and excretes most
This is my understanding, as well.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
yer... but just by saying 'To remove water from the fish' does not translate into excreting most of the water... It is a bold statement just meaning that the fish would remove all the water....If the BOS had put a keyword such as large or copious then A would've been right.
BOS really needs to fix up their wording...

liz2814

HSC
my teacher seemed to think that with the hybridisation question it was D? I put C though..im not sure does anyone know what the answer was?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)