Section 3 - Extended Response (1 Viewer)

ikronik

HSC
hello, u know in the exam u have to write your prescribed text in the front of the booklets, what happens if you don't write the prescribed texts on all the booklets you used? I wrote romulus my father on one of them, RMF on the second booklet and 'romulus' on the third, cas the lady said i couldn't write anymore

mike12345678

HSC
what i wrote about:

my thesis was that time allows one to belong, interactions with society affect how they see beloning but if they have a strong connection to say their home or family they are able to resist the negativity from the world.

sounded a bit better then that

feliks - i said he was a migrant therefore didnt have time to fit in
- loved his garden
- interaction with society is poor due to racism (department clerk quote)
- fits in with friends due to similar interests, country/culture (POW qoute)

10 mary street - connection to family -
- connection to home
no connection to wider society once again due to racism
connection to peers through shared time together

i dont know if mine was great but anyways. what do you guys think on what i basically wrote about. i tried to link to the question

2xL

HSC
I thought the question asked for a bit TOO much (in response to passage of time AND interactions with the world) but overall, I thought there was a lot to talk about and was highly adaptable. Interactions with the world could be anything. Not too bad.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I did Ancestors and St. Patrick's College...I did both of those themes together in 4 paragraphs, now I realise, that's just fucking dumb...

Oh well.

2xL

HSC
I did Ancestors and St. Patrick's College...I did both of those themes together in 4 paragraphs, now I realise, that's just fucking dumb...

Oh well.
Not necessarily, my teacher says integration of the texts under themes is better (it provides a more cohesive essay) than a linear structured one!

onedaysnotice

HSC
Not too proud my essay. Absolutely mutilated my generic one in the exam due to time constraints :S

Hoping for 13/15

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I argued that as time progressed her sense of not belonging was stronger, then i went on to talk about romulus and how he didnt belong at first but as time progressed he belonged..
With Christine I attempted to take the tact that her actions over time increased her alienation from the family unit and focused on Romulus and Raimond.

But I left myself a bit short of time, had to cut down my last para on changing perceptions of place and don't think I explained how perceptions changed well in my related text as it wasn't really a focus.

BTW, it was hard to know whether to focus on time or interactions with the world part more. I attempted to merge the two but...ehhh

gayforniall

HSC
Uni Grad
Well when I was on the train home I was surrounded by hysterical Sydney High girls... I almost drowned in their tears... I'm kinda disappointed as it took me much too long to write... I had a prepared response that was actually perfect for it, but I completely blanked out when I got to writing about my related text... I had to think about it for a while and I lost so much time...

Zeroes

HSC
I had to cut out a point cause I ran out of time. :( The last sentence of my conclusion was also half finished... lol - do you think they would take off marks for that? It's just the end of the conclusion and it was pretty obvious what I was going to say.

humbletaco

HSC
N/A
I did The Namesake and Garden State.
Spoke about how a person's interaction with the world around them (family, friends, pop culture) over time can influence their perception on belonging in both a positive and negative light and reshape and evolve their previous attitudes. Also how a person over time reshapes their attitudes to affiliate with others around them and how this can cause the person to have a positive or negative perception of belonging as a result.

Ryan_T90

HSC
I think it was great, especially for my text Romulus, My Father. I think the the bit about ones "interaction with their world" was very open-ended and it can pretty much be adapted to a range of aspects of belonging. I pulled out a good 10 pages so I can't complain.

Susan 2012

HSC
With Romulus, I didn't really want to mention Christine because she doesn't change over time and I didn't want to disagree with the question or show 'to what extent' so had to leave a fair bit out :( Hopefully did ok, though.
you could have because the question suggests that a persons sense of belonging EVOLVES (which means changes) and certainly her sense of belonging changes in fact it gets worse and she becomes even more isolated then she was when she arrived at Frogmore and it leads to her death...so over time she forms no connection..remember when they mention 'belonging' it means to belong and not to belong...who knows but thats how I interpreted it lols
all the best

jnney

lemon
HSC
i think i had to read the question 10 times lol, but yeah it wasn't too bad.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
you could have because the question suggests that a persons sense of belonging EVOLVES (which means changes) and certainly her sense of belonging changes in fact it gets worse and she becomes even more isolated then she was when she arrived at Frogmore and it leads to her death...so over time she forms no connection..remember when they mention 'belonging' it means to belong and not to belong...who knows but thats how I interpreted it lols
all the best
yeah, i just thought it might be a bit hard to prove it got worse and hence evolved rather than her sense of not belonging just continued over the course of her life but that was just my thinking in the exam. Did still manage to get out three paragraphs for RMF so shouldn't be too bad :)

katebeast

HSC
My thesis was that a person's interactions with the world, within a particular passage of time, are heavily influenced by personal experience, of which can enrich or hinder one's ability to mould an adequate sense of identity.

Loved the question.
BUT how ironic the question was based on time, and I basically ran out of it..... 5.5 pages for the essay, 3 skrzynecki poems in thorough detail, one other in not as much detail ad one related text used three times.

deswa1

HSC
^How did you do 4 poems and one related in 5.5 pages? That's pretty impressive I guess. I just did two poems and one related in 6.5...

katebeast

HSC
i started with migrant hostel from skrzynecki, and spoke about the ways in which peter's time as a migrant child moulded his sense of segregation and caused to him initially feel as though he didn't belong within Australian society. I used i think 2 or three quotes, i remember using the personification of the gate and stuff as a symbol of a barrier. then I incorporated my related text onto that, as the protagonist in that text says he always felt like he was on the outside which resonated well.

then I spoke about Feliks Skrzynecki and how Feliks, through his passage of time in AUstralia, was able to form his own sense of identity and interaction with the world around his as he was an individual and listened only to himself and used the 'kept pace only with the jonses' quote and whatnot. and blah blah blah something about his polish friends and then the metaphor of Hadrian's wall...

then I did St Patrick's and all about how his interactions with this world during a specific passage of time were influenced by his own personal experiences there and it was his choice to dislovate his sense of identity. and I used an extended metaphor from that, the simile of 'like a foreign tourist' and the 'uncertain of my destination' part which was symbolic of stuffff which I cant remember anymore! haha. aaaaaaaaand the repetition of 'for eight years' and then I incorporated my related text again....

then i touched on post card to show how his interaction with the surrounding world hasn't improved over time as he has been unable to form an identity for himself due to his own personal experiences. finished with related.

BUT MY CONCLUSION WAS ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING :) and i have small handwriting so I think thats how I fit it all in.

I tried to address the question as an anthology of poems and synthesise them all in rather than stating 'Im doing this poem and this one and this one' but I think my ending wouldve lost me some marks :'(

mrgr94

HSC
I found the questions quite odd actually, I wasn't really prepared to answer a belonging question related to time because most of what we did in time was related to people and place so I was kind of struggling to make a link to belonging with time. The paper itself wasn't so hard but it wasn't that easy either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)