Section II (1 Viewer)

Study-Guy

HSC
Re: General Thoughts: General Mathematics

(I'm looking at the question now) Oh, crap. I didn't divide by 3 for the annual rate. Dammit. The answer should have been 12%.
Yea, i got 12%. If you used I=Prn there was no need to divide by 3 at the end.

miranda94

HSC

Was it not just the ratios of sides? Since they're similar triangle the flag height of 4 metres is to the man's height of 1.5m like the flag shadow of (I can't remember) is to the man's shadow. I got 1.115m (I think) and a friend also got that.
yeah it probably was right, some of my friends did that too. it just didn't even cross my mind in the exam though!! the only reason i thought it might not be right was because when i was studying there was a similar diagram and i solved it using similar triangles, but it turned out you did actually have to do trig. thats why i had doubts. either way it probably is right because i dont think there was any other way!

Sdesphy

HSC

Never heard of the vanishing cube. Completely threw me off :/ Can someone explain 28C with the flagpoles and shadows?

Study-Guy

HSC

yeah it probably was right, some of my friends did that too. it just didn't even cross my mind in the exam though!! the only reason i thought it might not be right was because when i was studying there was a similar diagram and i solved it using similar triangles, but it turned out you did actually have to do trig. thats why i had doubts. either way it probably is right because i dont think there was any other way!
You had to use trig to find the top left angle. tan-1(3/2.5). Once you have the angle you can use the sin rule to figure out the whole length, then u minus the 3 meters. I think the answer was 1.8m

bash187

HSC

noo the similar triangle question was that d=1.8 not 1.115. it dosent make sense

bash187

HSC

what is the answer for the last question????? i got mixed up with the question, it it yes or no and n=40 or n=50 because i didnt see what yr the graph started

Last edited:

ct12345

HSC

flagpole answer: 1.79m
Interest rate answer 10.8% , although others got around 12%
ramp answer: 386cm

Band 6: approx 85-87 pretty hard test.

Study-Guy

HSC

what is the answer for the last question?????
I think we should keep questions to specific thread. But the answer was yes, they will be under 7 000 000. P= 3 000 000 ( 1.02)^40

emmkayyez

HSC
What did you guys get for the guess and check question? What were the two values for b?

mulimulix

HSC

what is the answer for the last question?????
You mean 30 c iv? It was quite a bit under 7million. I just substituted the values, using the number I found in the previous question.

CommunityFan

HSC

I only knew the vanishing point thing because of being an art student; You get taught about it when you're learning to draw buildings. It's the term they use to describe the way that all lines around you seem to head towards a single point, due to your perspective, if that makes sense.

Other than that, I didn't find it desperately hard and the bit of study I did really helped. I really enjoyed doing the estimate the seal population thing for some reason...
Trig will be my downfall; I didn't like the shadow thing.
offffff frick!!!

idriss1

HSC
Hey guys. For the flagpole question wouldnt the answer be 5? because its similar triangles, i did 4/1.5 x 3 giving me 8. then i minused that by 3 and got 5.

waves2xv14

HSC
With some of the questions if I got it right but showed very little working out will I get any marks?

HSC
I was so happy after doin the annual rate one but after smiling like an idiot i realised i still had the other half of Qs to do ahaha. Didnt get the ramp or vanishing points... I did a stupid mistake for the bike track and sacrificed 4 marks from ii and iii from last question to finish off Qs

hoss

HSC
N/A
how did everybody do the stair question?

i used the sine rule but im pretty sure i did it wrong.

kicking myself because i knew they were similar triangles, i just used the 4m instead of the 4.8m. should hopefully get 2/3.

strawberryswing

HSC
the ramp question and the vanishing question threw me off badly. I don't think i did well at all. For me, that was a hard test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)