Uni Grad
Share you answers to Section II here

slongdon

HSC
Re: General Thoughts: General Mathematics

Vanishing point anyone?

emmkayyez

HSC
Drawing the cube was a bit weird... Or maybe it's just me.

miranda94

HSC
i had never seen or even heard of the 'vanishing points' for the cubes, but i think i managed to just figure it out. if you measured one edge of the cube it was 3cm, then you could use that to form lines half way toward to vanishing points for the top edges, then for the bottom edges of the cube, i did a 3cm vertical line straight down form V1 and V2, then lined then with the vertices and drew another 3cm line.

for the back point of the cube i just drew a straight line joining V1 and V2 and joined them to the centre and each vertex

anyway, i have no idea if that was the proper way, but my cube looked right :s

miranda94

HSC

Vanishing point anyone?
i had never seen or even heard of the 'vanishing points' for the cube, but i think i managed to just figure it out. if you measured one edge of the cube it was 3cm, then you could use that to form lines half way toward to vanishing points for the top edges, then for the bottom edges of the cube, i did a 3cm vertical line straight down form V1 and V2, then lined then with the vertices and drew another 3cm line.

for the back point of the cube i just drew a straight line joining V1 and V2 and joined them to the centre and each vertex

anyway, i have no idea if that was the proper way, but my cube looked right :s

miranda94

HSC

oh god the shadow question was confusing, did not know what to do there, I did similar triangles but I was just guessing, goodbye three marks
haha yeah i dont even think i will get 1 mark fro my scribble, i think i found every possible angle and side EXCEPT the one we needed. Similar triangles would make sense because i was convinced that it wasn't possible with trig, but anyway.

mulimulix

HSC

haha yeah i dont even think i will get 1 mark fro my scribble, i think i found every possible angle and side EXCEPT the one we needed. Similar triangles would make sense because i was convinced that it wasn't possible with trig, but anyway.
Was it not just the ratios of sides? Since they're similar triangle the flag height of 4 metres is to the man's height of 1.5m like the flag shadow of (I can't remember) is to the man's shadow. I got 1.115m (I think) and a friend also got that.

pb1234

HSC

Was it not just the ratios of sides? Since they're similar triangle the flag height of 4 metres is to the man's height of 1.5m like the flag shadow of (I can't remember) is to the man's shadow. I got 1.115m (I think) and a friend also got that.
So did i!

themosteshest

HSC

28 e) guys?
ive always had a bit of a problem with flat interest rate haha

gillespiek

HSC

that ramp question was quite hard, and the last question was weird too

gillespiek

HSC
the vanishing point sucked, so did the ramp question. the questions were simple just confusing

mulimulix

HSC

28 e) guys?
ive always had a bit of a problem with flat interest rate haha
You had to work out how much he payed after all the monthly repayments, then subtract the original price of the item and the 10% deposit (I think this was the one with the 10% deposit) and then work out the remaining number as a % of the original price (-10%). If that makes sense...

gillespiek

HSC

wasnt it annual interest over initial amount x 100% so find the equivalent flat rate of interest?

jo_m

HSC

I only knew the vanishing point thing because of being an art student; You get taught about it when you're learning to draw buildings. It's the term they use to describe the way that all lines around you seem to head towards a single point, due to your perspective, if that makes sense.

Other than that, I didn't find it desperately hard and the bit of study I did really helped. I really enjoyed doing the estimate the seal population thing for some reason...
Trig will be my downfall; I didn't like the shadow thing.

Attachments

mulimulix

HSC

wasnt it annual interest over initial amount x 100% so find the equivalent flat rate of interest?
(I'm looking at the question now) Oh, crap. I didn't divide by 3 for the annual rate. Dammit. The answer should have been 12%.

mulimulix

HSC

I only knew the vanishing point thing because of being an art student; You get taught about it when you're learning to draw buildings. It's the term they use to describe the way that all lines around you seem to head towards a single point, due to your perspective, if that makes sense.

Other than that, I didn't find it desperately hard and the bit of study I did really helped. I really enjoyed doing the estimate the seal population thing for some reason...
Trig will be my downfall; I didn't like the shadow thing.
I am quite confident I have never seen anything like that in my life. Is it in the syllabus?

jo_m

HSC

I am quite confident I have never seen anything like that in my life. Is it in the syllabus?
Haha, I guess I was lucky. No, I don't remember being taught about it for math; perhaps it was something they assumed we'd know since it was basically asking 'draw this shape'. I still managed to screw it up, though, due to general lack of thought about what I was doing...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)