Section IV - Historical Periods (1 Viewer)

anexasaved

HSC
Why did you talk about senate and opposition in a question about the 'empire'? I though that that was directly referring to Section 3 of the syllabus only =S not sure..
In our center is was a kind of a half-half split between part a and b, but yea i agree the second question was actually a piece of cake compared to the first one haha!

michaeljennings

HSC
I don't know why everyone did the first question, the second was so easy! It was:
Discuss how Augustus administered the Empire. (or something like that)
So good, I talked about everything from Senate, provinces, reforms, bit of opposition, military... got so many quotes in there too :D
It was just 'how did Augustus administer the Empire'.
You're meant to talk about all the dot points in section 3 (army, provincial administration, frontier policy)
I didn't pick it cos it was too simple of a question, and just required regurgitating knowledge on the page, without any real demonstration of understanding.

Implying

HSC
It was just 'how did Augustus administer the Empire'.
You're meant to talk about all the dot points in section 3 (army, provincial administration, frontier policy)
I didn't pick it cos it was too simple of a question, and just required regurgitating knowledge on the page, without any real demonstration of understanding.
well that's lucky, because I talked about all of those :)

Implying

HSC
Why did you talk about senate and opposition in a question about the 'empire'? I though that that was directly referring to Section 3 of the syllabus only =S not sure..
In our center is was a kind of a half-half split between part a and b, but yea i agree the second question was actually a piece of cake compared to the first one haha!
administration... directly related to how he held power imo.
And i didn't really talk about opposition very much, probably shouldn't have mentioned it. I just put one example of it in military to make the point that he was paranoid about losing his molopoly on the military's loyalty

michaeljennings

HSC
well that's lucky, because I talked about all of those :)
Yeahh good, cos we had pretty much the same question for trials, (Explain though, not just how), and our teacher said it was a section 3 question.

But yeah, for that question as long as you knew all your content then it would have been a breeze, and the first question could be approached in different ways, so i think the questions were pretty good this year.

anexasaved

HSC
Yeahh good, cos we had pretty much the same question for trials, (Explain though, not just how), and our teacher said it was a section 3 question.

But yeah, for that question as long as you knew all your content then it would have been a breeze, and the first question could be approached in different ways, so i think the questions were pretty good this year.
Although the first question, mr. jennings, required a much higher thought process than the second one so i really really do hope its easier to access the higher marks! :)

michaeljennings

HSC
Although the first question, mr. jennings, required a much higher thought process than the second one so i really really do hope its easier to access the higher marks! :)
Yeah, the marking criteria would be completely different.
First question would be more focused on whether you make valid points and have a good sustained argument, which i'm sure you did :haha:

And second question would basically be marked on whether you have all the information and content on the page..

Its always good to pick the harder question ;)

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
I did Augustus and picked the first question and absolutely blitz it! I argued Tacitus' quotation was, to a considerable extent, accurate. I basically wrote about everything up to the second settlement. Brundisium, Marching on Rome in state of high treason, 2nd Triumvirate, Settling the Vets, Sextus Pompeius, Defeating Lepidus, Battle of Actium, closing gates to temple of Janus, First settlement and second settlement. Brilliant question. I'm really happy with the way i approached it!

wild_rose

HSC
I did Augustus and picked the first question and absolutely blitz it! I argued Tacitus' quotation was, to a considerable extent, accurate. I basically wrote about everything up to the second settlement. Brundisium, Marching on Rome in state of high treason, 2nd Triumvirate, Settling the Vets, Sextus Pompeius, Defeating Lepidus, Battle of Actium, closing gates to temple of Janus, First settlement and second settlement. Brilliant question. I'm really happy with the way i approached it!
I chose that one too! But I felt like a bit of a rambler- I didn't agree with the quote entirely because it said to what extend and I thought that propaganda ans his army palyed a significant part- but I answered the same as you did! I was really disappointed with this year's questions- but it's all over and I can't do anything about it.

Implying

HSC
well i'm glad i picked the 2nd question, i barely studied any of that :p

Last edited:

mac_attack94

HSC
I did Amenhotep III to the death of Ramesses II. It was ok, I did part 'B' which was about the administration during the period so there was a lot to talk about. I thought part 'A' sucked, I didn't know enough on Horemheb though. Too bad there wasn't a specific question on Amenhotep III or Akhenaten, that would have been soooo much better and there hasn't been one for like three years.

anexasaved

HSC
Oh cool, i mixed it up a bit, and talked not only about the settlements, but also about his reforms post the establishment of the principate. But yea, unfortunately ran out of time, which could have been used to prepare a much nicer answer haha! I also regretted not being able to talk about Sextus Pompey, which i had to cut out of my points, again due to time constraints =(
How much did you guys write in total for the essay?

chels777

HSC
I did Amenhotep III to the death of Ramesses II. It was ok, I did part 'B' which was about the administration during the period so there was a lot to talk about. I thought part 'A' sucked, I didn't know enough on Horemheb though. Too bad there wasn't a specific question on Amenhotep III or Akhenaten, that would have been soooo much better and there hasn't been one for like three years.
i did that exact same question as well what areas did you talk about because their was just so much you could talk about? i did stuff on nubia and syria palestine and talked about how different pharaohs appointed different officals etc and had different approaches

mac_attack94

HSC
i did that exact same question as well what areas did you talk about because their was just so much you could talk about? i did stuff on nubia and syria palestine and talked about how different pharaohs appointed different officals etc and had different approaches
I talked a bit about that and how diplomacy was achieved through like the Amarna letters and the agreement with the Hittites. Also talked about how army generals were appointed to administrative roles and how power was taken away from the Amun priesthood (Akhenaten). Also talked about Armana in general (move of the administrative capital from Thebes and threw in a bit about Aten) and then I talked about the restoration of traditional ways. Had a section on the changing roles of queens as well.

chels777

HSC
I talked a bit about that and how diplomacy was achieved through like the Amarna letters and the agreement with the Hittites. Also talked about how army generals were appointed to administrative roles and how power was taken away from the Amun priesthood (Akhenaten). Also talked about Armana in general (move of the administrative capital from Thebes and threw in a bit about Aten) and then I talked about the restoration of traditional ways. Had a section on the changing roles of queens as well.
okie dokie that sounds good i think you could have almost talked about anything i kind off broke it up into internal and external administration the marking criteria would have to be broad how much did you write?

ReneeApple

HSC
I did New Kingdom Egypt Amenhotep III to the death of Ramesses II, and did the Horemheb question. I went in with a heart set on completely avoiding anything to do with foreign relations, and I danced in my seat a little bit when I saw the Horemheb question. :') I think I did pretty well, I had prepared enormously for him.

mac_attack94

HSC
okie dokie that sounds good i think you could have almost talked about anything i kind off broke it up into internal and external administration the marking criteria would have to be broad how much did you write?
I did 7 or 8 pages (can't remember but I used 3 booklets) with about 6-8 words per line. What about you?

I did New Kingdom Egypt Amenhotep III to the death of Ramesses II, and did the Horemheb question. I went in with a heart set on completely avoiding anything to do with foreign relations, and I danced in my seat a little bit when I saw the Horemheb question. :') I think I did pretty well, I had prepared enormously for him.
I prepared a lot more for Amenhotep III and Akhenaten

Screamm

HSC
I don't know how you did Horemheb he is so boring! i did NKE Amenhotep III - Ramesses II and did part b)
just talked about amenhoteps foreign relations, amarna letters, campaign in nubia etc., then did akhenaten coregency with nefertiti, religious reforms (spewed up what i did in personalities :D), then Ramesses and his foreign relations/building/military crap.
Was so glad for such a general question :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)