• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Seeking Any Job Post HSC (1 Viewer)

kimjuliana

HSC
Hey guys! I finished my HSC (wohooo!!) and I really want a job, since I've never had any work experience, since my parents always wanted to me to focus on my studies. Do you guys have any tips or suggestions for where or what jobs to start with? Low or crappy wages isn't a problem with me, I just want/need some work experience.

NB: I've already applied to the local fast food outlets such as Maccas, KFC and Hungry Jacks but they haven't replied in weeks :'(

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Go into a shopping centre and go into each shop - go to stores outside of shopping centres and apply there too.

kimjuliana

HSC
Thanks for the advice! Anything else? And also should I apply online or go in person? And who do I give my cover letter and resume to? Also how do you ask to apply for a job? Just ask for the manager??
Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to this and extremely nervous :(

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Is there any particular field you are interested in?

It may not be paid but you could ask around to see if there any small to medium-sized firms which are willing to give you a trial?

kimjuliana

HSC
I'm interested in Science and Psychology. What firms would be available in that field? Should I try to apply to work as a assistant in a research place at a university?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
in science are u interested in the physics, chem or bio aspects?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I'm interested in Science and Psychology. What firms would be available in that field? Should I try to apply to work as a assistant in a research place at a university?
Do be aware that university research work is incredibly competitive; many under grads/post grads would give their left arm for a chance to get that sort of experience. IMO it's highly unlikely that you would even be considered as a school leaver with zero previous work experience.

I'm not necessarily saying not to try, but just do be realistic :)

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Apply to every chain store; Coles,Woolies,IGN,Franklins,Wendy's,Baskin Robbins,Pizza hut,Dominoes..just think of everything there is that hires younglings like you with no experience. You'll get an interview eventually, and then you just need to smash it. If that fails..something must be up with your resume/interview.

Also do note, don't apply locally only,widen your range a bit,it's normal to take a train or bus to work,and it beats having no job, so don't just apply to local Fast food chains (e.g. when they ask which stores you can work at online, do multiple ones around you not just the one near you.). For example I didn't get accepted into the one next to me, but I got into a Mcdonald's chain 10 mins away by train,some managers just see you better then others.

Last edited:

kimjuliana

HSC
Thanks guy! Well I got an interview at Maccas, I was just wondering do you guys have any interview tip you guys could give me? Like how to sounds enthusiastic and not stummer, because I lack those skills :( I'm really nervous about this.

kimjuliana

HSC
Hi guys... I know I'm asking a lot but at the interview I need to bring my original Birth Certificate, one of my parent's Citizenship Certificate or my own Citizenship certificate, how do obtain these??

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Do you have a driving licence? Even Learners are fine.

That is enough proof to show that you are a resident (temporary or permanent) or that you are a citizen.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you have a driving licence? Even Learners are fine.

That is enough proof to show that you are a resident (temporary or permanent) or that you are a citizen.
There's nothing on a license which indicates residency status. It only has your address.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
There's nothing on a license which indicates residency status. It only has your address.
Really? I remember the RMS asking me for the originals of my birth certificate and there were questions indicating whether you are a resident or citizen or international in Australia.
If that question is confidential, then yeah I guess you're right.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Really? I remember the RMS asking me for the originals of my birth certificate and there were questions indicating whether you are a resident or citizen or international in Australia.
If that question is confidential, then yeah I guess you're right.
They do, but there's nothing on the license itself which indicates the residency status. They don't contact the RMS to verify these things. That's why they want the document upfront.

And to OP, if you don't have a birth certificate lying around:

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/bdm_fft.html

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah true. Do most jobs require the proof by certificate? What about a TFN?
They generally use a point-based system which is commonly used to provide sufficient evidence of identification so yes.

IIRC, a TFN isn't compulsory but you would be stupid not to provide one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)