Semester 1 USYD Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zxreth

HSC
Today I had an 8am and a 9am lecture then done for the day.

Woke up @ 6:30am, saw how heavy it was raining, thought 'nope.', then went back to bed.

Woke up just then, still raining.

Later on I'm gonna check outside. Apparently a couple places like Holsworthy and Homebush are flooded.

This is bad because I kinda live at the bottom of a hill...

Checking it out now.
Homebush isn't flooded...

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Road from Redfern to uni was like a fucking river.....
My shoes are still wet. :(

Trains on East Hill line are fucked - flooding at Bardwell Park.
Trains on Illawarra are fucked - flooding at Banksia.
Trains to and from Olympic Park are similar fucked.
Lucky I got the early train. Lol
But I could've gotten south anyways.

jet

Banned
HSC
Bosch and Blackburn building are completely flooded to the point that they had to shut down the power and move/cancel all teaching...

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Serious question....

Why are there people wearing the black graduate cloak walking around.... carrying bricks?

Two of them in my Physics lecture.

What on Earth...?

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
I have had an excellent first week at university! I've met so many different people, it's amazing. I'm learning about the age of exploration in History, about how George Washington and his army stood up to the mighty British empire and won, how Abraham Lincoln became president of a country that was divided half slave and half free. I'm learning about how the great speeches in our times have been constructed in writing and rhetoric, I'm learning about ethos, pathos and logos in argumentation. It's fantastic! I'm learning about American foreign policy in world politics as well. It's great.

On the Law side of things, we are learning the philosophy behind the law, reading pieces written by John Locke and Rousseau. I'm really enjoying it! It's a great challenge and a new experience and I'm loving every moment of it!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Serious question....

Why are there people wearing the black graduate cloak walking around.... carrying bricks?

What on Earth...?
They're college kids being hazed.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Serious question....

What on Earth...?
Yeah, it's a college hazing thing. Not sure about the particulars, but I imagine it involves some punishment if they are discovered to not be carrying their brick. Happens every year.

I have had an excellent first week at university! I've met so many different people, it's amazing. I'm learning about the age of exploration in History, about how George Washington and his army stood up to the mighty British empire and won, how Abraham Lincoln became president of a country that was divided half slave and half free. I'm learning about how the great speeches in our times have been constructed in writing and rhetoric, I'm learning about ethos, pathos and logos in argumentation. It's fantastic! I'm learning about American foreign policy in world politics as well. It's great.
Oh god, you actually UNDERSTAND Gil Merom?

On the Law side of things, we are learning the philosophy behind the law, reading pieces written by John Locke and Rousseau. I'm really enjoying it! It's a great challenge and a new experience and I'm loving every moment of it!
I certainly don't remember this at all.......

Then again, I really didn't pay much attention in Foundations. It was really all a wank in terms of stuff that was 'interesting', but never really assessable. Stuff like Native Title crap (which I believe was Week 2). And plus, there's no exam for Foundations.

But I don't remember reading any Jurisprudence shit....

jet

Banned
HSC
Apparently they need to introduce their brick before themselves, and give it a seat before they get one (so if there is one seat left they have to stand up/sit on the floor). I think there's some sort of reward for stealing another person's brick.

izzy88

HSC
Serious question....

What on Earth...?
It is St Andrews college first year thing. Happens every year. They have to introduce the brick first, and they can't lose it. If they lose it, it is taken from them, or they don't have it on them, they have to carry around 2 bricks.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hahah Drews. Do people sneak into your room at College at night whilst you're sleeping and try to grab it?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
How long do they get hazed like this for?

I hear that the St Andrews students also steal the boom gate from the Women's College? Is this true?

izzy88

HSC
How long do they get hazed like this for?

I hear that the St Andrews students also steal the boom gate from the Women's College? Is this true?
I think the Bricks are for first week of uni.

I don't think stealing the Women's College boom gate is necessarily specific to Drews (although they probably count for a high percentage of it). The boom gate goes missing far too frequently for only one college to be responsible (almost every week when I was there).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the Bricks are for first week of uni.

I don't think stealing the Women's College boom gate is necessarily specific to Drews (although they probably count for a high percentage of it). The boom gate goes missing far too frequently for only one college to be responsible (almost every week when I was there).
Wednesdays? My boss tells me it was a weekly routine by those blokes.

izzy88

HSC
Wednesdays? My boss tells me it was a weekly routine by those blokes.
yeah wednesday is college party night (not good if you have class on thursday lol) - so if pranks are going to occur, it will be on a wednesday.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
had a buss1040 lecture at 9am and buss1001 tut shortly afterwards. pretty disappointing tut.. hopefully the rest are better. buss1040 was quite interesting where pablo was discussing the effects of forgoing best alternatives leading to opp. costs, ppc/ppfs and GDPs. the opportunity cost for skipping buss1040 would've definitely been sleeping @ home !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)