Serious Question... (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey!

Ok well you see here is my problem... Extension maths is really getting difficult and I hardly understand anything that goes on the board because the teacher goes so fast and we are like doing 3 excercies every lesson and I can't keep up!!

I need to know, Would it be better to drop Extension 1 maths or keep it or go to 2u maths if I excel in 2u ??? My ranking in Extension atm is second last :\ .

I really want to do med so I know I have to get a high ATAR to do so. Would it still be possible to get a 98+ Atar with the Subjects below excluding 3u maths and Ancient if I get in the top 10 rankings of each subject????

Thanks for your help guys :D

Last edited:

Peeik

HSC
Extension maths needs a while to get use to for some students. Ill say keep working hard on it and make a decision at the end of the year. How are you finding 2u?? The reason why you guys are doing 3 exercises per lesson is because its mostly revision of stuff like coordinate geometry and the like. Just work hard and see how you go at the end of the year.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Probably hard to do with food technology.

HSC
Extension maths needs a while to get use to for some students. Ill say keep working hard on it and make a decision at the end of the year. How are you finding 2u?? The reason why you guys are doing 3 exercises per lesson is because its mostly revision of stuff like coordinate geometry and the like. Just work hard and see how you go at the end of the year.
Well I think if I went a bit slower I would understand the 2u work completely and thats the problem in Ext maths because we are going so so fast :( . If I drop it at the end of the year and don't understand any of the work then won't that implicate badly in HSC year?

Peeik

HSC
Treat your 2u work and 3u work separately. Make sure that you understand and know how to do your 2u math. In addition work extremely hard to attempt to understand 3u.

It wont implicate badly in HSC year because you can choose to drop 3u at the end of year 11. Provided you studied hard and worked hard for 2u math, then there shouldnt be any negative repercussions.

HSC
Hmm... That's probably a really good way to approcach it. Thanks for your quick reply's also :D

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with Peeik. Working at 2U will help you with 3U because especially in prelim, 2U helps wih 3U (particularly trig). But hold out as long as you can. And use these holidays to get into some more study, going over your topics, and if you have any questions about how to work something out, people on BOS will help you out :)

HSC
I agree with Peeik. Working at 2U will help you with 3U because especially in prelim, 2U helps wih 3U (particularly trig). But hold out as long as you can. And use these holidays to get into some more study, going over your topics, and if you have any questions about how to work something out, people on BOS will help you out :)
Would you guys suggest any books/study guides that will help me understand the work? I have maths online which is prity good but is there something better that you guys use ??

Last edited:

Peeik

HSC
What textbook do you use for 2u and 3u for school?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Have you had a chat with your teacher?

If you tell your teacher that you think they are moving too fast, they may change their teaching style to accommodate. Similarly, they may offer you some extra help during breaks or what not.

Peeik

HSC
That should be good enough. But if you want another reference, I highly recommend "understanding maths" by Dr Max Shur. It's much cheaper than any textbook, and it has nice summarise and graded questions and examples. The price range for a new one is around 30$....try to find one on bos for a cheaper one if you can.

If you want a textbook rather than a supplement text like the one i suggested, may I recommend cambridge? It is much more expensive ($50) but it might be a wise investment. This textbook does explain concepts well, but it may seem overwhelming at first because of the jargon used. Hope this helps.

jessoapc

HSC
Check out my HSC maths tutorials website (see my signature). I've got video explanation tutorials on past papers for General, 2 unit, 3 unit and 4 unit. There's heaps on there and more to come in the next couple of months as well.

It will help. I basically did videos of what I do when I'm private tutoring but they're all online and you can watch them as many times as you need to in order to understand it.

Use the Easter break to get on top of things. I feel like you want to try and keep 3 unit as long as possible because food tech and bio don't scale particularly well as far as I know (although I'm not positive, it's just what I've heard).

Also if you want to do med or anything in science, you'll have to do maths at uni in your first year most likely and that will be soooo much easier if you do 3 unit.

Good luck! Email me through the contact email on my website if you need some extra help with 3 unit. I have a pure maths degree from sydney uni so I love this stuff. Yeah... I know... I'm weird :)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
See if you can get extra help from your teacher. Otherwise, have you considered a tutor?

HSC
TThanks so much for your quick reply's guys really do appreciate it!

That should be good enough. But if you want another reference, I highly recommend "understanding maths" by Dr Max Shur. It's much cheaper than any textbook, and it has nice summarise and graded questions and examples. The price range for a new one is around 30$....try to find one on bos for a cheaper one if you can.

If you want a textbook rather than a supplement text like the one i suggested, may I recommend cambridge? It is much more expensive ($50) but it might be a wise investment. This textbook does explain concepts well, but it may seem overwhelming at first because of the jargon used. Hope this helps.

Peeik I will go try and find that book 'Understanding maths' .

Have you had a chat with your teacher?

If you tell your teacher that you think they are moving too fast, they may change their teaching style to accommodate. Similarly, they may offer you some extra help during breaks or what not.
not a bad idea but he will probs tell me to drop.

Check out my HSC maths tutorials website (see my signature). I've got video explanation tutorials on past papers for General, 2 unit, 3 unit and 4 unit. There's heaps on there and more to come in the next couple of months as well.

It will help. I basically did videos of what I do when I'm private tutoring but they're all online and you can watch them as many times as you need to in order to understand it.

Use the Easter break to get on top of things. I feel like you want to try and keep 3 unit as long as possible because food tech and bio don't scale particularly well as far as I know (although I'm not positive, it's just what I've heard).

Also if you want to do med or anything in science, you'll have to do maths at uni in your first year most likely and that will be soooo much easier if you do 3 unit.

Good luck! Email me through the contact email on my website if you need some extra help with 3 unit. I have a pure maths degree from sydney uni so I love this stuff. Yeah... I know... I'm weird :)
Jessoapc checked out sight looks really informative :D

Kimyia thanks for your replys also helpful!

Last edited:

Annihilist

HSC
3u really helps me to understand 2u at a greater level, for me at least. That's something. I don't find 3u very hard if I put some effort in, and mostly I don't (don't do that by the way). But whatever.

Don't drop 3u. If i were you, I'd drop food tech (or whatever) and go straight to 4u. I'm not seriously committed enough to do that, but if you're aiming for high atar (which I'm not) it might make sense for you.

Work hard at it, it pays off. And if you want to do med at uni it might be more useful than you think, just experience-wise.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
not a bad idea but he will probs tell me to drop.
You may be surprised.

Even if dropping a subject is the easier option, I've known a lot of teachers who would rather help a student improve in a current subject.

HSC
3u really helps me to understand 2u at a greater level, for me at least. That's something. I don't find 3u very hard if I put some effort in, and mostly I don't (don't do that by the way). But whatever.

Don't drop 3u. If i were you, I'd drop food tech (or whatever) and go straight to 4u. I'm not seriously committed enough to do that, but if you're aiming for high atar (which I'm not) it might make sense for you.

Work hard at it, it pays off. And if you want to do med at uni it might be more useful than you think, just experience-wise.
So wait, If I keep doing Food Tech next year that will prevent me getting a good ATAR? What if I go really good in it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)