Share your 2010 ATAR here (1 Viewer)

GregoryB

HSC
with all due respect (i must add that cos i see ppl have been quite up-tight about disrespect in this post lolol) maths does actually take a lot of time and effort, esp if one does 3u or 4u. its one of the subjects that demands most consistent effort and practice throughout the whole course so the scaling system is not shit at all!
3u and 4u takes far less time and dedication than those subjects requiring major works. Anyone normal can do X1 and X2 if they had a tutor, as everyone who does the subject has. I can say personally spending up to 5hours designing, which was about 1/1000 of my folio deserves to be scaled at least the same as X1 and X2. Additionally, constant morning to night graphic work and annotation, updating and maintaining logs and what not and balancing this with an art major and my other subjects, should be awarded more. Maths can cover 4 units, which combined still doesn't equal the work for a 2 unit subject -_-

All you people who get 99.95 will disagree with me, but I shouldn't be disadvantaged for choosing a subject which takes more time and hardwork because it's partially prac and not all theory.

Oh and I'm not taking anything away from you guys, ya'll did great! Scaling should take into account amount of work not only degree of difficulty.

speedofsound

HSC
People may have noticed, but the scaling of Chemistry, Physics, MX1 and MX2 have gone down this year, and the humanities have remained at their stable gradual increase.

I want to see the time, genuinely, when the scaling takes a complete flip.

N.B. Those who took languages this year, got great ATARs.
Good observation, and true. The estimation the ATAR calculator gave my friend who did all the maths and sciences was higher than her actual, and the estimation the calculator gave me (and I do all the histories, Legal Studies, Society & Culture) was lower than my actual. Granted the difference in both cases was only like .10, but still interesting nonetheless.

Last edited:

suling

HSC
Good observation, and true. The estimation the ATAR calculator gave my friend who did all the maths and sciences was higher than her actual, and the estimation the calculator gave me (and I do all the histories, Legal Studies, Society & Culture) was lower than my actual. Granted the difference in both cases was only like .10, but still interesting nonetheless.
Same thing happened with me and my friend...estimates were around the same, my actual was higher and his was lower, even with 4u maths. And I did Food Tech...I mean, come on..

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Major works are a bitch yes, but they don't require as much effort as you say they do. Understanding concepts is by far harder than a major work.

The ATAR calculators gave me different results Matrix was around 78.3 and Einstein was around 81.5. 80.6 Being my actual ATAR.

But yeah, extension history and extension English really saved me from the 70s.

janchanisek

Durian
HSC
3u and 4u takes far less time and dedication than those subjects requiring major works. Anyone normal can do X1 and X2 if they had a tutor, as everyone who does the subject has. I can say personally spending up to 5hours designing, which was about 1/1000 of my folio deserves to be scaled at least the same as X1 and X2. Additionally, constant morning to night graphic work and annotation, updating and maintaining logs and what not and balancing this with an art major and my other subjects, should be awarded more. Maths can cover 4 units, which combined still doesn't equal the work for a 2 unit subject -_-

All you people who get 99.95 will disagree with me, but I shouldn't be disadvantaged for choosing a subject which takes more time and hardwork because it's partially prac and not all theory.

Oh and I'm not taking anything away from you guys, ya'll did great! Scaling should take into account amount of work not only degree of difficulty.
Allow me to respectfully express my reservations regarding the points you have hitherto put forward:

1. not everyone doing 3u and 4u maths has/had a tutor... i personally only had a tutor for a few months just before the hsc and that was only for 4u

2. the statement that 4 units of maths combined doenst equal the work required for 2 units is unsubstantiated

3. one cannot simply say that the subjects such as those you studied "takes more time and hardwork".. it is difficult to compare very different subjects and the scaling system attempts to do that in the best possible way however inadequate

4. finally, school and the HSC is after all an academic institution and hence rightly so reflects things academic, and the degree of difficulty of a subject is rightly so the main differentiating factor when comparing subjects.

Thank you for your attention!

LOL thats my defence haha (that was fun =P)

0bs3n3

HSC
3u and 4u takes far less time and dedication than those subjects requiring major works. Anyone normal can do X1 and X2 if they had a tutor, as everyone who does the subject has.
No they can't. Anyone normal with a tutor can't even do 2U Mathematics, as evidenced by the majority of my class. Maths is honestly 40% natural ability, 50% effort, and 10% luck. Filling out a log is 100% 'finally got off my arse and did it the night before' - besides the fact it contains no evidence of your academic ability. The scaling system is completely fair.

speedofsound

HSC
No they can't. Anyone normal with a tutor can't even do 2U Mathematics, as evidenced by the majority of my class. Maths is honestly 40% natural ability, 50% effort, and 10% luck. Filling out a log is 100% 'finally got off my arse and did it the night before' - besides the fact it contains no evidence of your academic ability. The scaling system is completely fair.
I don't know, speaking as someone who slaved over their major works all year, a major work is pretty damn hard if you wanna do very well in it. It's some of the most consistent dedication and effort you will put into one thing across the year. It just depends on what you're good at. I'm academically geared towards the humanities, not maths. I definitely don't agree that "anyone normal" could do Maths Extension, I certainly couldn't.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
E P I C ! hahahahah

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Spot on. And even if you didn't do it the night before effective time management still produces a good work without too much effort.

janchanisek

Durian
HSC
there is no luck in maths
nahh there certainly is... like what exam questions come out in the hsc... that can matter a lot, even for someone who has revised everything and done heaps of past papers and gone thru many different types of questions.... unless you're crazily and naturally smart at maths, there are bound to be specific questions/type of questions that you're more familiar with or are more comfortable doing. i reckon i got the full 10% luck for my hsc otherwise i would never have gotten state rank cos i know ppl out there who are so much naturally mathematically smarter than me

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
I don't know, speaking as someone who slaved over their major works all year, a major work is pretty damn hard if you wanna do very well in it. It's some of the most consistent dedication and effort you will put into one thing across the year. It just depends on what you're good at. I'm academically geared towards the humanities, not maths. I definitely don't agree that "anyone normal" could do Maths Extension, I certainly couldn't.
I began my major work two weeks before it was due, and started, composed and completed the reflection statement AND entire journal the night before. All previous assessments were bullshitted and hardly relevant to my final work. I ranked 2/3 in my notably small class. I scored 48/50.

Don't fuck around, extension mathematics is DEFINITELY harder than a pissy English major, and really mate, you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

i_suk

HSC
Off topic discussion in above posts much?

My 2 cents: Different subjects are harder for different people, some people finds maths easier, some people find writing major works easier. What is 'harder' is purely subjective. If you think the scaling is bad, blame the other people doing that subject who didn't 'ace' their other subjects =__="

Meanwhile, being one step away from the mark is both incredibly irritating and satisfying at the same time.

kattrina

HSC
N/A
Anyone normal can do X1 and X2 if they had a tutor, as everyone who does the subject has.
I just wanted to say that I did Extension 2 Maths and have never had a tutor in my life. It took alot of work and dedication and paid off in the end. I achieved 91 for Ext1, 81 for Ext 2 and an overall ATAR of 96.70.

Very happy :)

suling

HSC
I slaved over maths for the last 2 years, because I naturally suck and was coming like 45/55...I got a 90 in the HSC. In english I only started practise essays about a week and a half before HSC, same with ext. hist...and did better in them.

Don't know if it's just different natural ability or whatever, but people who do ext maths etc. deserve the epic scaling that comes with it.

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A
I just wanted to say that I did Extension 2 Maths and have never had a tutor in my life. It took alot of work and dedication and paid off in the end. I achieved 91 for Ext1, 81 for Ext 2 and an overall ATAR of 96.70.

Very happy :)
just so you know, they are not exactly the highest marks in 3 and 4unit maths around XD

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
people who complain about mx2 scaling are just desperate because they are too dumb to do it.

123 B A N G

HSC
Major works take time but not effort. Actually thats a lie, time is also not a requirement. I never did a thing about my drama Individual. Ext history was a bit time reading but the actual writing took about 10 hours. Ext 2 was something I can't even remember ever doing. The only MW which took lots of time was textiles. I can imagine maths being so much harder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)