Should English be compulsory?? (3 Viewers)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Another thing is that international students would be forced to do English, disadvantaging them - otherwise, many of them would take the top ranks.
That's the thing though, it's not disadvantaging them in the grand scheme of things. They are going to need to know English to suceed in uni and the work force. While i agree with you about it forcing people to be more rounded and think it's a good thing, in a way its just a bad thing because its unfairly advantages people who are more into English and humanities type subjects. You could argue that scaling is on the science/math students sides but they are still forced to do a subject likely out of their comfort zone.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
That's the thing though, it's not disadvantaging them in the grand scheme of things. They are going to need to know English to suceed in uni and the work force. While i agree with you about it forcing people to be more rounded and think it's a good thing, in a way its just a bad thing because its unfairly advantages people who are more into English and humanities type subjects. You could argue that scaling is on the science/math students sides but they are still forced to do a subject likely out of their comfort zone.
Yeah, I know - there's a lot of good points.

I want to summarise our advantages of English.
- Benchmark used for scaling.
- Disadvantaging international students while advantaging English-speaking students (locals).
- Makes students more rounded to some extent.

Anyway, it disadvantages them in the HSC, where they are competing with others directly - in the long run, it's probably better for them. It probably does give some advantage to humanities students that are more likely to be interested in English but then again, even though humanities is the closest to English, it is still relatively different. A subject like 'Literature' would be unfair as it would advantage them in English but yeah...

Also, about the science students idea, they probably are put in a more difficult position in terms of English (including myself) and makes it a bit unfair for them.

kazemagic

HSC
lol u get these international students who smashes everything except english omg

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
- Disadvantaging international students while advantaging English-speaking students (locals).
DEY TUK R GERBS!

But seriously, I think that's an awful reason to make English compulsory, especially since English doesn't really TEACH language skills, just punishes those who don't have them.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
DEY TUK R GERBS!

But seriously, I think that's an awful reason to make English compulsory, especially since English doesn't really TEACH language skills, just punishes those who don't have them.
The HSC course makes the assumption that the language, writing and comprehension skills have been taught in years 7-10. And it's there that the problem lies, students are getting to years 11 and 12 without having these basic skills, and then floundering when they can't do well with the content presented.

eat_well

HSC
I honestly don't think any subject should be compulsory. That being said, if there HAD to be one, I would probably choose english.

Sunners

HSC
Uni Grad
No but if it has to be they should at least:
1. Have it not count if it isn't a student's best 10 units
OR 2. Not have it scale so much more compared to other subjects.

DancingAnz

HSC
Like everyone else is saying, the 7-12 syllabus needs some serious reconstruction!
Honestly, I've only survived the last 5 years by writing down what my teacher says, putting it into essay form and then memorising the essays for exams. Not much critical thinking on my behalf!

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
No but if it has to be they should at least:
1. Have it not count if it isn't a student's best 10 units
OR 2. Not have it scale so much more compared to other subjects.
I'd say that it's better to make it count for a minimum of 1 unit, otherwise, nobody would even try, they would just do enough to pass the subject. Also, it doesn't scale so much more compared to other subjects, in fact, it scales a tad less than Chemistry.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I reckon english should be compulsory however I think that they need to change the current syllabus (Like a whole new structure not just the modules and texts)

Other countries have a similar subject too that is compulsory e.g. in france they have french (which is like what we call english)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
As already said i think it should be compulsory but not actually count for your atar unless it is part of your best 10 units.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Plus Standard and Advanced scale the same anyway.

Secant

HSC
N/A
I think english just needs to be restructured. To be made useful in the real world.

moocow920

HSC
I think some form of English should be compulsory to continue advancing student's writing and thinking skills, which will assist them in many other areas of life. I can understand English feeling useless but even scientists need to write papers, journals, theses etc. However, I do not think English should have to be counted towards the ATAR, as this causes a disadvantages to students that try extremely hard but will still not succeed in English to the same level they are capable of in other subjects. This does bring up the issue of students simply not trying in English because it wont count for the ATAR, but I think the higher achieving students overall would treat it seriously, I for one would not risk bludging a subject, in case i stuffed another one up. So basicaly I think an overhauled, more interesting and relevant form of English should be compulsory, but not compulsory to be counted towards the ATAR unless it is in the students top 10 units.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon english should be compulsory however I think that they need to change the current syllabus (Like a whole new structure not just the modules and texts)

Other countries have a similar subject too that is compulsory e.g. in france they have french (which is like what we call english)
I talked to someone french and they said french isn't compulsory in senior years of school.

IrLOL

HSC
Yes. I think it needs a huge restructuring though, and better fundementals taught in lower years.
+1 this.

No enough essay writing and structure taught in younger years.

This is excellent if you've spent years 7-11 perfecting your essay writing style and structure. Unfortunately, you haven’t.
This quote from the bored of studies Essay Writing tutorial sums it up nicely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)