Should English be compulsory?? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What about using it to scale, but not make it count towards an atar.
Not make it count unless it's in the best 10 units? If that's it - then that seems fairer, though it would basically drain all want of students to do English properly as they can be sure that it's not going to count. They'd lose their essay writing skills and the like. Science students need them especially, with the scientific journals and all.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Not make it count unless it's in the best 10 units? If that's it - then that seems fairer, though it would basically drain all want of students to do English properly as they can be sure that it's not going to count. They'd lose their essay writing skills and the like. Science students need them especially, with the scientific journals and all.
Not the same as English essays.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It still uses the same "skill" of taking a whole jumble of information, grabbing the important bits, synthesising it to be brief but also concise - and writing it coherently and logically.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
It still uses the same "skill" of taking a whole jumble of information, grabbing the important bits, synthesising it to be brief but also concise - and writing it coherently and logically.
No.
It's more like the HSIE essays.
English essays are annoying.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
No.
It's more like the HSIE essays.
English essays are annoying.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
As absolutezero said, the skills are transferrable.

In English - you're writing an essay on language techniques. In history, about historical events. It's still the same skill - just expressed in a different way.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
In English - you're writing an essay on language techniques. In history, about historical events. It's still the same skill - just expressed in a different way.
But I get 10/15 in English and 18-20/20 in SOR2... Also, you write topic sentences differently and shit like that.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
As absolutezero said, the skills are transferrable.

No, I'd argue the structuring is different enough.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So we can't agree it's the same skill of synthesising information and writing it coherently?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I contend if one gets low marks in English and high marks in SOR essays - then one is just doing better in synthesising information in SOR.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Science students need them especially, with the scientific journals and all.

mmm, not really. I study history at uni and my entire first year was spent trying to UN-learn the way i was taught and expected to write in HSC English. If i wrote an essay the way the HSC English course would have me write it, i probably wouldn't do all too well.

Similarly, my boyfriend studies biology and from what i have seen of his reports they follow a very specific structure and style which is vastly different to the way you are taught to write in the HSC.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
mmm, not really. I study history at uni and my entire first year was spent trying to UN-learn the way i was taught and expected to write in HSC English. If i wrote an essay the way the HSC English course would have me write it, i probably wouldn't do all too well.

Similarly, my boyfriend studies biology and from what i have seen of his reports they follow a very specific structure and style which is vastly different to the way you are taught to write in the HSC.
But still can we at least agree that the basic skill set of synthesising information and writing logically and coherently is common?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Yes, however i do not believe that students who had not studied HSC English would struggle at uni, science students in particular. First year units tend to be based around hammering in the writing style of the discipline; i was practically babied through the process while my boyfriend was actually provided with a textbook which laid out how to write a report with correct APA referencing. Although that is just in my experience.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yeah, I hear university is big on referencing. I had a group assignment and just delegated referencing to one other person... sounds pretty sucky, methinks.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
It's necessary and you do get used to it. You had better learn, it may well fuck you over later on if you don't. I had a tutor that flat out failed any essay that hadn't been referenced.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's necessary and you do get used to it. You had better learn, it may well fuck you over later on if you don't. I had a tutor that flat out failed any essay that hadn't been referenced.
Yep. I had friends who had to redo an entire group assessment, with only a maximum of 50% possible to achieve, because they accidentally forgot to reference one line. And they got off lightly.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Any tips on figuring out how to reference properly? Books? Or just Google it every time I need to do it and copy from there...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)