Should I choose Economic? (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Can anyone tell me again (last time) whether I should do it or not??
No one can tell you, it really does just depend on whether or not you think you can handle writing a lot of extended responses .

imo If you really doubt your ability to do this, or to improve fast enough to do this i would not pick up these subjects as you would likely perform very poorly.

ilikebeeef

HSC
Well, I want to do 6 subjects in yr 11 and 12 to open my career pathway bigger and bigger :))

_ Math ext
_ ESL
_ Physic
_ Chemistry
I don't agree with that. At uni there are no pre-requisites/recommended studies for most courses, and the ones that do usually recommend Maths extension 1/a science, which you already got on your list. There is no need to include a humanities subject, especially because from the sounds of it, you're likely to struggle with the essays.

It is a lot of work. I think you're underestimating the effort required.

Higher ATAR --> more courses you can do.

Also, I don't think i will do Vietnamese because it costs me another $1000 to study the subject i know i will get a high mark (came up to my mind last night).
$1000 isn't actually that much if you care about ATAR. You're likely to spend even more on tutoring for other subjects anyways.

So I plan to do both Business Studies and Economic. I hope Business Studies can help me understand Eco easier.
Business Studies doesn't relate THAT much to Eco.

Can anyone tell me again (last time) whether I should do it or not??
I reckon you should not do it. For English, you can bullshit essays and still get good marks, but that is impossible to do in Eco. But ultimately it is your choice and once again, about how much you care about your ATAR.

Personally, I would concentrate on what I do best.

imo If you really doubt your ability to do this, or to improve fast enough to do this i would not pick up these subjects as you would likely perform very poorly.
^ This, very much.

If you are already good at maths, chem and physics, and you add subjects which screw you over, your efforts in maths, chem and physics will be nullified.

Trust me, I narrowly escaped this scenario myself.

Last edited:

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
yer it seems the general consensus here is that you should seriously reconsider, and not choose Eco. I really don't know but it ultimately depends on how much you can improve your English in this short of amount of time. As said, it's a lot of writing, very very little maths [0.5% maths, if that]

FrozenSky

HSC
If your struggling in English then i recommend you to not do economics or legal. Although you might get away in legal studies by purely memorising (including the essay)... Economic essay questions tend to throw students with prepared essays off track..
And most of the students who struggle in English in my class for economics are getting like 9/40... Heck even some of the domestic students find the essay question in economics hard :/
So yeah it's up to you in the end, if you are willing to work hard then you can probably survive. I'd suggest you to pick ONE commerce subject (most likely legal as it's easier) and by the end of yr 11 see if you like it or not, then decide whether or not you wish to continue.

MinaDoan

HSC
TT So at the end, I really shouldn't do Economics.
Ummmm, the last 2 could be Legal Studies and another scale up subject.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Look tbh it wouldn't matter if it were economics, legal studies, history, society and culture, whatever, they are all humanities and are all heavily essay based.

I'm not necessarily saying you shouldn't do them but you just need to understand that if your english does not improve you will probably struggle to attain any kind of good marks.

If this happens, it will not matter whether the subject scales highly or not (and if it is a humanities subject it probably won't anyway).

Tofuu

HSC
I have nearly finished ...discovering what will appear in my report next year :guitar:
_ Math Ext 1 (aiming for 2)
_ ESL
_ Physic
_ Chemistry
_ Legal Studies/ Vietnamese
_ Economics/Business studies

Please give me some advices on the last 2 subjects.
My background is Vietnam and...I want to learn more about the rights and the law => :uhoh:
I think i am gud at Maths and suck in English... (somehow survive with a band 7 in Naplan after 1/2 yr in Australia =]] => but I heard economics require a lots of essay writing so i am not confident :(
Any advices will be greatly appreciated :) Thank you
ZOMG, eco>bs

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
your english is terrible, if i were you id stick to maths/science subjects because theres a lot of essay writing in econ, business, and legal.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
your english is terrible, if i were you id stick to maths/science subjects because theres a lot of essay writing in econ, business, and legal.
considering she's spoken the language for a year and a half, i'd say she's doing fairly well........ still...

MinaDoan

HSC
my english is horrible ?!?you just broke my heart into pieces TT
Anw, i think the best choice will be Business Studies/Biology and Legal Studies (tutor for sure).

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
up to you i guess, but i did business studies for my HSC and just be warned that it has a LOT of essay/report writing. The final HSC exam has i think about 20 multiple choice, a few short answer questions, AND an essay AND a business report.

i didnt do econ or legal, but im sure they'd be the same.

stevey6404

HSC
If you're choosing between Business Studies and Economics, choose economics. Business studies is boring and nothing new and interesting. Economics, on the other hand, is enjoyable.
Both of those subjects require good extended response skills, as other people have said, but the content in economic is so much better than business.

I do both so yeah. I'm sure most people will give you the same answer.

MinaDoan

HSC
Oh, do you think i can get an ATAR of 95+ if i do gud?
My first goal is B. of Commerce (Actuarial Studies). They ask for an ATAR around 98.0.
_ Maths Ext (1 aim to 2)
_ ESL
_ Physic
_ Chemistry
_ Biology/business Studies
_ Economics/Legal/business

ilikebeeef

HSC
Oh, do you think i can get an ATAR of 95+ if i do gud?
My first goal is B. of Commerce (Actuarial Studies). They ask for an ATAR around 98.0.
_ Maths Ext (1 aim to 2)
_ ESL
_ Physic
_ Chemistry
You can get 95+ ATAR if you do well in all your subjects.

The question is whether you can do well in humanities.

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Oh, do you think i can get an ATAR of 95+ if i do good?
_ Maths Ext (1 aim to 2)
_ ESL
_ Physic
_ Chemistry
Grammar and spelling is important if you wish to obtain a high ATAR.

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Look i'll be honest, if your expression is the way it is now when you go to do your essays and sit your exams in the HSC i highly doubt you will receive the marks in your two humanities subjects (one if you decide to go with bio) to get you even close to 95+.

I'm not trying to be mean, i'm trying to be realistic. If you take two humanities subjects and plan to get around 98 ATAR, do it with the knowledge that you will have to significantly improve your english.

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Look i'll be honest, if your expression is the way it is when you go to do your essays and sit your exams in the HSC i highly doubt you will receive the marks in your two humanities subjects (one if you decide to go with bio) that get you 95+.

I'm not trying to be mean, i'm trying to be realistic. If you take two humanities subjects and plan to get around 98 ATAR, do it with the knowledge that would will have to significantly improve your english.
+1 I severely approve of this.

ilikebeeef

HSC
look i'll be honest, if your expression is the way it is now when you go to do your essays and sit your exams in the hsc i highly doubt you will receive the marks in your two humanities subjects (one if you decide to go with bio) to get you even close to 95+.

I'm not trying to be mean, i'm trying to be realistic. If you take two humanities subjects and plan to get around 98 atar, do it with the knowledge that would will have to significantly improve your english.
+1 i severely approve of this.
+2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)