Should I do 5 units in Semester 1 if I've got a 7hr gap? (1 Viewer)

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
Hey all I have the absolute worst timetable for 1st Semester I have a 7 hr break all in one continuous bloc on tuesdays >< I have a lecture from 9-10am but my next lecture isnt until 5pm. So what do you guys think about the idea of doing an extra unit on tuesdays to occupy at least some of that 7hr downtime? Any thoughts?

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
That may take up some time on your timetable, but remember that when exams roll around, you're gonna have one whole subjects extra to study, which would suck. That 7 hours could be useful for study, closer to exams.

But it would take a load off, in sem 2 I guess. Is the subject fairly easy?

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
actually I was thinking of doing an interest course like introductory japanese or something, not all units are available throughout the whole year and each unit has a specific level requirement, for instance u can't do 200 or 300 Level units in first year. So there's limited choice. The units I'm doing for Semester 2 are all exclusively available in Semester 2 only so no its not about taking a load off from Semester 2.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you have to do electives, and you can find something that fills up a good chunk of the Tuesday, then you may as well. It'll make it easier later on. However, is there any reason you have to go to the lecture? Most are recorded and you can listen back to them later.

Deathless

HSC
actually I was thinking of doing an interest course like introductory japanese or something, not all units are available throughout the whole year and each unit has a specific level requirement, for instance u can't do 200 or 300 Level units in first year. So there's limited choice. The units I'm doing for Semester 2 are all exclusively available in Semester 2 only so no its not about taking a load off from Semester 2.
Might as well. You can drop it later anyway, can't you?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I know i always seem to be saying this, but be very wary of taking language courses purely as interesting filler units. If you're new to the study of languages you may be surprised at how challenging they can be at uni level. Even at beginners level the work load is pretty significant. Then again, you can always withdraw before the census date if you find it's not for you.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Go to the movies or something, isn't your uni next to a shopping center?

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
How far are you travelling to and from uni?

What I would do is to go to both lectures for the first week, then either pick only one or alternate between them each week...

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
99.99% sure you can't do 5 in your 1st sem. I got rejected, tho just hand in the form and see how it goes.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
9.99% sure you can't do 5 in your 1st sem. I got rejected, tho just hand in the form and see how it goes.
A friend of mine has done 6 subjects every session since first year. It may depend on the uni, but at some you can definitely do it.

deterministic

HSC
you need to be an exceptional student (extremely high ATAR) for the faculty to let you overload in your very first semester. Certain faculties are more flexible than others in terms of overloading.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
you need to be an exceptional student (extremely high ATAR) for the faculty to let you overload in your very first semester. Certain faculties are more flexible than others in terms of overloading.
I agree with deterministic.

Also thats a good time to do pretty much your whole week's study.

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
I think I might opt for Macquarie University's iLecture option although I'd probably use it sparingly, seeing as you can't ask questions or gain valuable feedback and insight into concerns raised by other students. The majority of the time methinks I'll stick around for the lecture from 5-6pm. To get to Macq U from my house and back is roughly 1.5 hrs, so that's 1.5 hrs extra time spent traveling if I choose to go home instead. Yes there is Macq Centre but who to go with? Everyone's gonna be in lectures and 7 hrs is a really long time no matter what ur doing if u think about it.

glache

HSC
N/A
You could:

- Skip the last lecture (highly recommended if it's going to be recorded)
- Skip both lectures and get the day off
- Study
- Watch a movie (of course it depends on whether there's anything good showing at the time)
- Get involved in some C&S
- Try and find work near uni. If you have a TravelPass you wouldn't have to restrict yourself to the shopping centre--you could try places like Epping, Eastwood, Chatswood. You could probably even go as far as Hornsby and squeeze in a 5hr shift and still get back in time.

I don't think overloading is a good idea, especially in your first semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)