Should I do Ext Maths? (1 Viewer)

CallanT

HSC
As the titles suggests I was wondering about your thoughts on ext maths. I did pretty well in the SC and topped the year but my teacher didn't recommend me to do it but she did other students? any suggestions on what I should do?

michaeljennings

HSC
you topped the year but she thought other students would be better than you? If you think you can do it you should

Alkanes

HSC
Maybe your teacher was right. SC is not good enough to determine whether or not you're suited for extension.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
i say take up maths ext. at the beginning of the year. it all goes smoothly, keep it. if its too hard or you can't be bothered, just drop it and there's no harm done (keep in mind, you will have to do 13 units then so you will have enough units to drop ext if it comes to that). If you topped your grade, I don't see why you couldn't do maths ext. Anyway, give it a try :)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Just do it. Who cares if your teacher didn't reccomend it to you?

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
Your teacher has enough knowledge of the maths course and your own work to know whether both are suited for one another

also if you have to actually ask, rather than be good enough for maths that there is no question whether you will do it or not, then you probably shouldn't do it.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
+1, screw what your teacher said. If you think its too difficult you can always drop it
Exactly. And also, what'd you expect her to do, say "hey could you plz do this course because you are just awesome".

I bet she expects you to do it and thus isn't bothered telling you.

bleakarcher

HSC
In yr 10 you have the 5.1/5.2/5.3 courses in maths. The gap between 5.1 and 5.3 level mathematics is pretty big and almost all 5.1 maths candidature will end up taking general maths if any maths at all. The school certificate exam is designed so that it satisfies course outcomes for the 5.1 candidates. Hence, the SC maths exam can't play as an indication towards the ability of a student if he/she is going to be taking 2/3/4U maths. But yeh, I recommend you give it a go, otherwise you will never know.

CallanT

HSC
Thanks guys for giving me your thoughts. I've decided to give it a shot and drop it if I cant keep up with it :D

anchor72

HSC
Your teacher has enough knowledge of the maths course and your own work to know whether both are suited for one another

also if you have to actually ask, rather than be good enough for maths that there is no question whether you will do it or not, then you probably shouldn't do it.
Not necessarily. I know someone at my school was recommended to do General Maths, but he chose to do Ext. 1 and guess what? he came 3rd in the course out of 50. So I say go for it, prove your teacher wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)