Should I do science? (1 Viewer)

Empath

HSC
I'm doing 3U Maths, 2U English, 2U SDD, 2U Art (Need 2 more subjects)

Question is, should I do any science subjects if I'm thinking about doing computing or art/graphics stuff in Uni? Does any of the science subjects contribute towards these two areas?

afta???

HSC
wat!!!!!! no social sciences????????
how could you........science sucks!!!!!!!!!!

ok....dont take me serious for that. i dont think any other subject would contribute greatly to ur uni life so i recommend that you take something you just enjoy or at least dont mind...
science in the new hsc syllabus requires alot of understanding n it can test thru long responses but on the other hand, chem and physics both scale quite well
however, being a commerce addict i recommend you take either business or economics...relates to everyday life ...business if you just want to waste ur time on a subject you consider a fill-in

oranGez

King Jeremy the WiCKED++
HSC
just warning you empath, val (afta???) is very bias towards social science . . i sit next to her in legal studies and i SWEAR she enjoys the tedios 472304872348 hour long worksheets we get . . anyway, in reference to your question, are you absolutely SURE you want to go down that career path? because even if there's a 1% doubt, i recommend you do chemistry . . i won't lie to you, it's not easy, but a lot of professions require it and it gives you good background knowledge for a lot of courses . . perhaps business studies + chem for your two remaining subs? business because it is practical, helps you in later life, and (so i've heard) is quite easy to do well in as long as you apply yourself properly . . anyway~ whatever you choose, make sure you enjoy it! coz there's nothing worse than doing subjects you hate =( [btw, if you're looking for an interesting fill in subject, try bio! its not much workload, it's interesting, and it's a science . . )

val: im sorry im stalking your posts but i just cant resist you ;)

Empath

HSC
I think Chemistry is too hard for me... I failed my school's chemistry topic test and stuff, did okayish in other science subjects tho..

I guess I'll probably do Business Studies for one of my subject...

For the background knowledge (aka pre-requisite (sp)?) thing, is there an online website for all the details on certain course's pre-requisite or are they only available on the specific universite's website? I might look at some art / computer courses and see what their pre-requisite is.

afta???

HSC
Empath said:
I think Chemistry is too hard for me... I failed my school's chemistry topic test and stuff, did okayish in other science subjects tho..

I guess I'll probably do Business Studies for one of my subject...

For the background knowledge (aka pre-requisite (sp)?) thing, is there an online website for all the details on certain course's pre-requisite or are they only available on the specific universite's website? I might look at some art / computer courses and see what their pre-requisite is.
i do think u hav to look up specific uni websites n then the prerequisites r hiding in this web of webpages......annoying........

n to be realistic.........sorry to ruin your dreams if i did........arts/graphics don't lead to a particularly bright n wondorous career but if u like it.....go for your life!!! no one will stop you n the most important fact...it is your life!

oranGez

King Jeremy the WiCKED++
HSC
such a slackass. . empath could create something along the lines of shrek! tsk tsk ill have to punish u 2mrw ;) muahah

Uncouth

HSC
N/A
I found business studies to be a relatively large subject. At one stage, I actually found the time spent on studying business disproportionate to the time I spent studying for physics... but business studies in my opinion is quite easy, though.

Just my two cents. :)

kpq_sniper017

u could do IPT is you're looking for a career in computers, although u may get bored doing two computer subjects. which of the sciences do u enjoy most? as for business studies...it is a practical subject in yr11 (u'd have to ask without wings about yr12 coz i haven't done it yet). economics is interesting, but unless u r interested in it, i guarantee u will fall asleep, as many of the guys in my class do. not sure about other subjects....if you're considering any of the subjects in my sig. then feel free to pm me.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
You probably should do something science-y...chem and physics scale pretty well, senior science...um...I don't think it scales much at all...so don't do that if you're aiming high...the sciences are prerequisites for some uni courses, including comp courses, I'm not too sure, lol, maybe I shouldn't be replying to this thread with my inferior knowledge. ah well, damage's done...

Empath

HSC
The problem is that i completely, absolutely suck at science..
I'd only do science if it was like a requirement in getting in one of the courses i want.. I looked in the UAC booklet,
I looked up the course i wanted to do in usyd ( B Design Computing) and there was only assumed knowledge for mathematics. Does that mean I don't need to do any science subjects at all?

afta???

HSC
oranGez said:
such a slackass. . empath could create something along the lines of shrek! tsk tsk ill have to punish u 2mrw ;) muahah
well u werent even at school today how r u goin to do that mate!

afta???

HSC
Empath said:
I'd only do science if it was like a requirement in getting in one of the courses i want.. I looked in the UAC booklet,
I looked up the course i wanted to do in usyd ( B Design Computing) and there was only assumed knowledge for mathematics. Does that mean I don't need to do any science subjects at all?
for your course i dont think i matters that much whether u do science n since u suk at it try some other course u like or is good at...
yea IPT would b a good choice

kpq_sniper017

Empath said:
i guess u have to weigh two things:
1. it might be best to do one science...you never know if u experience a change in career interests + it's always good to have a diverse range of subjects (so as not to get bored and for the future)
2. it's not a prerequisite for the course u want to do + u don't like science + u think u'll do badly in it = not a good start to year 11 science.

if u really have your eyes set on computing (an unwavering desire to do it) then go with 2. if not (if there's any inkling of doubt) then go with 1.
if you're going to do 12/13 units, it might be an idea to do a science since u only count your top 10 units....however, if u think u'll enjoy business or eco, then go with that - at least u won't be bored.

Empath

HSC
pcx_demolition017 said:
2. it's not a prerequisite for the course u want to do + u don't like science + u think u'll do badly in it = not a good start to year 11 science.

yeh, that's me ^^;

So, after bugging lots of people on this forum (and on #hsc), I've decided to do:
2U Eng, 3U Maths, 2U Art, 2U SDD, 2U Business and 2U Eco, and I've already got 2U of IPT from acceleration.

Thanks everyone! :)

kpq_sniper017

Empath said:
yeh, that's me ^^;

So, after bugging lots of people on this forum (and on #hsc), I've decided to do:
2U Eng, 3U Maths, 2U Art, 2U SDD, 2U Business and 2U Eco, and I've already got 2U of IPT from acceleration.

Thanks everyone! :)
wow...15 units?
and u completed hsc ipt in yr10?

Empath

HSC
Well, I finish IPT this year if thats whats u mean.. ^^;

On a completely unrelated subject, how much time did u guys get to choose your subjects? We had our subject selection night (and forms) on this monday, and we were expected to choose by this friday! IMO 4 days just isn't enuff for choosing something as important as ur sujects for yr 11 and 12...

kpq_sniper017

Empath said:

On a completely unrelated subject, how much time did u guys get to choose your subjects? We had our subject selection night (and forms) on this monday, and we were expected to choose by this friday! IMO 4 days just isn't enuff for choosing something as important as ur sujects for yr 11 and 12...
yea, that's what i mean. i don't know many people who finish an hsc course 2 years in advance. that means u would've finished preliminary ipt in yr 9?

as for subject selection....that is pretty tough (esp. if ur indecisive about what subject/s to choose). i think we had about 6-8 weeks to decide. but we also had to submit our preferences by around august last year....btw. r u considering doing a distinction course? since u accelerated ipt, it might be a nice alternative to doing that subject that u don't really want to do.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Empath said:

I already knew exactly what I wanted to do months before sub selection. Cept I was toying with the idea of doing modern history instead of bio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)