• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

should i drop mathematics? (1 Viewer)

squiggles

HSC
N/A
hey just wondering if anyone had any advice as to whether i should drop 2U Adv maths. im not going too well in it (circa 50-60%, yr 12)and i have 13 units so i really want more time; is it too late to drop to general? or should i drop it completely? Or... should i keep it but not waste time studying it?? i was thinking of doing pschology at uni.
so far i have:
1u re
ancient
bio
ext english 1
ext english 2
visual arts

Any advice?
Thanks!!

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
afaik psychology has statistics in uni so general math will aid you there abit.

ssglain

HSC
tommykins is right that studying psychology at uni will involve some study of statistics. However, usually several different levels of maths subjects will be on offer (e.g. life science, normal, advanced at USYD) and there will be one which doesn't have any assumed knowledge from HSC maths. So there is absolutely no point in keeping maths if you are not planning to put effort into your study.

You're saying that you really want more time to focus on your other subjects. If you aren't planning to get help for maths and work hard in the subject, then the best option, in my opinion, is to drop it so you can pay more attention to your other subjects, do well in those and make the cut-off for psychology.

lou071

HSC
N/A
hey just wondering if anyone had any advice as to whether i should drop 2U Adv maths. im not going too well in it (circa 50-60%, yr 12)and i have 13 units so i really want more time; is it too late to drop to general? or should i drop it completely? Or... should i keep it but not waste time studying it?? i was thinking of doing pschology at uni.
so far i have:
1u re
ancient
bio
ext english 1
ext english 2
visual arts

Any advice?
Thanks!!
i am not too sure about this, but to do psychology, isn't assumed knowledge 2 unit maths? even if it is not, i wouldn't recommend to drop maths.

Rainie

HSC
I dropped Maths ever since Year 11 (despite all the negative comments I recieved). I never had an interest in it and always failed my exams although I tried to study and do my homework.

If you have an interest in it and doesn't take up too much of your time studying for other subjects, keep it and drop something else.

Alternatively, you can follow what tommykins said, drop and do General Mathematics and see how that goes.

Regarding your aspiring psychology degree at uni, that's what bridging courses are for. I even doubt you need assumed knowledge for any of the uni courses.

Good Luck.

shaon0

HSC
so far i have:
1u re
ancient
bio
ext english 1
ext english 2
visual arts

Any advice?
Thanks!!
yeah go ahead.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Chances are you'll have to do a bridging course though... (on advice of my school's career advisor. I wanted to do psych but wanted to do general)

Also, I dropped to general at the end of prelim :D

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
If you suck at maths and don't need it for uni then drop it [as long as it isn't one of your best :)]

vds700

HSC
I did general and failed most of my exams but still made it into Psych LOL, bridging courses aren't compulsory and they dont even help much, they teach you everything you need to know in the course, the maths isnt even difficult and amounts to a tiny percentage of your degree, I mean this is coming from someone who does Psych and failed most of my maths exams at school.
^^^

wouldn't be a bad move at all to drop maths, 11 units is plenty for the hsc, and judging by your subjects, you're more of a humanities person anyway

mikballs

HSC
I am faced with the same problem.
I plan on dropping to General Maths because I'd probably end up going a lot better at that, and there's less stress, and more time to study your other subjects :)

lou071

HSC
N/A
I am faced with the same problem.
I plan on dropping to General Maths because I'd probably end up going a lot better at that, and there's less stress, and more time to study your other subjects :)
but 2 unit maths scales so much better than general maths.

lou071

HSC
N/A
No it doesn't if you don't go well in it.
yes true. but if you drop to general maths, are you confident you can get really high mark so it doesn't scale you down?

jet

Banned
HSC
I would drop. No point doing it and not studying for it. If you really wanted to keep it or something, maybe drop 4 unit if you find it trying/too much work. I dropped it for the second reason.In the end its up to you. There is always tutor/bridging courses before uni or you can just deal with it as you get to it.
In the end its up to you, and you need to decide what you think is best.

grundo

HSC
make a decision squiggles!
i say, drop the frustrating subject altogether :)

mikael.cfc

HSC
ask if u can drop to general
workk hardd and try and at least get a band 6 in general better than a 2 or low 4 in mathamatics

LordPc

HSC
Keep it, General maths isnt even real maths in Uni. Any courses that require HSC mathematics as assumed knowledge also state that general maths isnt good enough. So in truth, doing general maths would be more of a waste of time that doing 2u maths

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)