Should I keep maths advanced or drop to standard? (1 Viewer)

bluntacademicweapon

HSC
Hey guys, I am having trouble deciding if I should keep maths advanced or drop to standard.
I just got my first HSC maths advanced mark back and got 45% for a task that weighs 10% of my internal. Would I still be able to get a band 6 and what marks would I need to achieve in the next assessments to obtain this? I am willing to do the work and study to improve in advanced. I want to do a double degree in law and science in USYD, which has advanced as a pre requisite and is one of the reasons why I want to keep advanced. But I am afraid that I might not even get the band 4 needed to even get into USYD and get an atar high enough for law. I also want to pursue science or the law degree in another university and I want to know if its beneficial for me to keep advanced since its assumed knowledge.

I have been considering dropping to standard for a long time ever since I got my prelim exam back (which was 25%) and my teacher has been telling me that standard would be better. I was top of my class when I was doing 5.2 maths in year 10 and I am wondering if the standard content is similar to the content in maths 5.2. My cohort for standard is pretty horrible as the average for the prelim exam was a 40% while advanced was around 50% so I want to know if this would negatively impact the scaling for internal marks.

Susu123

HSC
stay in adv and try to improve
agreed. also, if you wanna improve, the one thing that helped me LOADS was doing like every past paper i could find. ik you've probably been told this before but doing past papers is acc so helpful i cannot recommend it enough. it helped me feel a lot more confident in maths and boosted my rank

SamDavisEnjoyer420

HSC
But I am afraid that I might not even get the band 4 needed to even get into USYD and get an atar high enough for law.
advanced maths scales extremely well, raw marks database shows you just how little you need for a band 4
i think you should stay, its a hard subject if you don't have a god gifted talent for maths though so hang in there

tangerines

HSC
I want to do a double degree in law and science in USYD, which has advanced as a pre requisite and is one of the reasons why I want to keep advanced. But I am afraid that I might not even get the band 4 needed to even get into USYD and get an atar high enough for law. I also want to pursue science or the law degree in another university and I want to know if its beneficial for me to keep advanced since its assumed knowledge.
trust me, i didnt do maths adv in my hsc (picked up standard in year 11 because our school didnt even offer advanced 💀) and im having a hard time trying to get into my dream course at usyd because i havent met the prerequisite. my two options are to do essentially a filler year in a different degree and transfer once i take the equivalent maths classes in uni or to do the MOOC bridging course, which is what im trying to do and wow as someone who never got past precalc i am absolutely struggling to cram this new knowledge into my head in the span of 6 weeks. if you dont do maths adv now you will probably have to learn the same content in uni anyway.

so i recommend you keep maths adv for the prerequisite, i dropped standard maths altogether in year 12 because once i realised it didnt fulfil any uni prereqs i felt like there was no reason for me to keep taking it (and i sucked). believe in yourself, hard work will pay off, and there are tons of people on this site that can help with any math related things you need. good luck!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)