Should I pick Science? (1 Viewer)

Examine

same
HSC
Basically I saw that no one at my school got Band 6 for Legal Studies and only 1 got Band 6 for Economics, while there were craploads of Physics, Chemistry and Biology Band 6s. I do not like Science, though I got 89 in the SC (I know it doesn't mean anything but eh). So should I switch to Biology instead of Econ or Legal?

Additional - I did Commerce in Year 9 and 10 and I really enjoyed the Legal part, economics was eh but pretty enjoyable. I come 2nd/3rd throughout the two years, as for Science I kept getting Below average in my class (even though it was the top class).

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Pick whatever you like and whatever you know you will do well in. In other words, pick Legal Studies and Economics over Chemistry and Physics if you know that you like and are better at the social sciences.
Who cares about what the previous cohort got, you are different to them.

Examine

same
HSC
True that, though I come from a family which has a prominence in Science subjects. Also my school consistently does well in Science subjects including many state ranks. (low 100s)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So? You don't like it - so why are you going to do it?

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
True that, though I come from a family which has a prominence in Science subjects. Also my school consistently does well in Science subjects including many state ranks. (low 100s)
You aren't a carbon copy of your family's achievements either. For example, my dad is a lawyer but I'm not doing Law. My mother was a nurse, but I'm not going to be a nurse.

Don't feel pressured by what other people are doing. Do what you are interested in!

Examine

same
HSC
Okay! And can someone check my essay for marketing? :L

thisiswar

HSC
Just put ur effort in and you'll be fine :) good luck!

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
It's is quite difficult in the HSC to study a subject you do not enjoy. Pick the ones you enjoy.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
The number of people who a band 6 for certain subjects should not at all be an indication of which subjects you should choose. if you don't like science, don't do it. if you like legal, do legal.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The number of people who a band 6 for certain subjects should not at all be an indication of which subjects you should choose. if you don't like science, don't do it. if you like legal, do legal.
Of course.

As matter of fact, past students may have used the same justification to avoid picking social science subjects because of mediocre results of the cohort above their own. This could be one large feedback loop.

I dare you to break it.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Even if your cohort performs similarly, it sounds like you personally have a great shot of being the one to get band 6 in eco, than one of the handful to get band 6 in physics. Why? Because you appear to have a greater affinity for the humanities.

Honestly, people's greatest regrets to subject choices come when they feel they should do a subject or they should have this mix etc. and neglect to play to their strengths. And good subject choice for you PERSONALLY will make HSC goals much more achievable and slightly less stressful.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, do subjects you WANT to do.

I learnt that the hard way with my first university course :\ (Software engineering)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, do subjects you WANT to do.

I learnt that the hard way with my first university course :\ (Software engineering)
What did you end up changing to and what went through your mind when you contemplated the change?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Just because your school does good in one subject, doesn't mean you will. My school is very strong in Humanities and Social Sciences (~50% B6) and poor in Science (5-10% B6). I like Science and picked it - I'm now nearly top of the grade and might be able to get Band 6 in 2012. I also did Modern History and coming nearly last.

D94

HSC
N/A
I'm now nearly top of the grade and might be able to get Band 6 in 2012.
Make sure you're top 5 in both Physics and Chem. Even if you reckon you're year in the stand out (we thought this as well, and with good reason), statistics will show that the average is around 5 per year. We got 6 for Physics and last year there were only 4. Chem has a little more, but it's usually below 10.

IamBread

HSC
Do subjects you enjoy. It will make the HSC much more fun and less stressful.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Make sure you're top 5 in both Physics and Chem. Even if you reckon you're year in the stand out (we thought this as well, and with good reason), statistics will show that the average is around 5 per year. We got 6 for Physics and last year there were only 4. Chem has a little more, but it's usually below 10.
Yeah, some years drop really low aswell - hopefully it gets higher than what the average is currently at. Considering our school rank, we should be getting mid-teens to 20s.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Do subjects you enjoy. It will make the HSC much more fun and less stressful.
This.

Pick whatever the hell you want. Your school's past performance shouldn't bee a factor of too much weight. It's the students, not the teachers probably.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
What did you end up changing to and what went through your mind when you contemplated the change?
I ended up doing nanotechnology.

Basically, I thought to myself "Do I want to be in front of a computer 8 hrs/day for the rest of my life.. NOT PLAYING GAMES?!?!"

Then i just thought "Well, what interests me?"

Ive always enjoyed physics, chem and maths, so I went into a discipline that incorporates them all :)

sweetkiki

Unconscious Member
HSC
N/A
Do what you like

B6 in science do not come easily

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)