• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should Muslim Holidays be recognised in Australia? (1 Viewer)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
did others not also establish that due to colonisation and yes the majority of the country being christian and basically, BASICALLY a chirstian nation

look if we want to play the multicultural game then lets add the
chinese holidays in
the american
the indian and the isralei ones too?

and if the country is so split into religions lets chuck all their holidays in their too too
the christian, the muslim, the kabbalah's, the satanic and the johavah's witness and even the mormans ect.
then will everyone be satisfied?
What in the name of fuck...

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
A festivus for the restofus!

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I reckon that holidays aren't really a matter of religion anymore. I mean how many people actually note the religious importance of Christmas and Easter? It's really just an excuse to have a day off and as a result there is no need to take it personally if these Christianity originated holidays are official and others aren't. Hence, I don't think we need to 'officially' recognise other religious holidays although we should respect and give best wishes to people on these days.

Only Muslims/Jews/any religious individual who want a holiday should get the day off, as it has no great significance to anyone else. A lot of workplaces already allow Muslims to take Eid off if they are informed of a holiday the day before. I don't see why we have to 'officially' recognise it.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Information question no 10) Are you an aboriginal or Torres Straight Islander?

Seriously, why would that matter in a test.

It then stops the following situation:

*Tick*

What you failed me? RACIST!

*instant pass*
oh i dont know maybe because that group is severely disadvantaged and for many of them english is not their first language.
people who pass someone because of theur race are stupid, but so is the statement you just made.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
oh i dont know maybe because that group is severely disadvantaged and for many of them english is not their first language.
people who pass someone because of theur race are stupid, but so is the statement you just made.
Um ... how many Aboriginals don't have English as their first language....

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
quite a few? not so much NSW but in large settlements in NT, WA. I know quite a few aboriginals where english is their second language?
Citation needed.

How many of them have to fill out tests in a foreign language such as English, without the aid of an interpreter?

lol fucking second language, if you speak a second language you spastic, it generally means you speak it fluently or with some degree of fluency. How many of them have English as a *second* language but can't fill out a form in English.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Citation needed.

How many of them have to fill out tests in a foreign language such as English, without the aid of an interpreter?
agree citation needed, and i have no idea at all, by they always take into account if english your second language when sitting exams.
i was just pointing out that there's a reason that question is there, it doesn't just exist to appease a minority group in order to appear accepting or whatever sidicious-reign was implying.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
There is no reason.

It's a bullshit question that we're all required to ask when working in Government agencies, because they think if they at least ask the question they can make it appear as though they're genuinely concerned about a minority group.

Nothing gets done with that data. It's collated, some statistics are generated, the statistics are discussed and sometimes published in a paper, and then the questionnaire forms get filed away forever. All it is used for is so that some people can sit around a desk and say 'Oh my of the 638 people who had this procedure, or sat this test, 4 were Aboriginal.'

They're irrelevant and you don't need a questionnaire on a form to see whether there are inadequacies in life expectancy, literacy/numeracy etc.

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
ashie0, Why would being Aboriginal have any relevance to a test? Unless your implying that people of that race are of less intelligence than of other races (which makes you a racist) that question has absolutely nothing to do with anything. They could ask; is English your first language or whether you are socially disadvantaged, but your race has nothing to do with it (unless your are a racist; which you appear to be).

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
If I click on this link will my computer explode?
I read it and it's shit. That document doesn't prove shit, it's just saying that some Aboriginals who speak English as a second language have trouble with English and that they have a nice flow chart to identify the problems.

The question being asked was that out of the 1.6% of Aboriginals in Australia, if the figure is even that big, how many don't speak English fluently enough to fill in a form.

This stupid document can be applied to any other person who has adopted English as a second language you spastic,

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
There is no reason.

It's a bullshit question that we're all required to ask when working in Government agencies, because they think if they at least ask the question they can make it appear as though they're genuinely concerned about a minority group.

Nothing gets done with that data. It's collated, some statistics are generated, the statistics are discussed and sometimes published in a paper, and then the questionnaire forms get filed away forever. All it is used for is so that some people can sit around a desk and say 'Oh my of the 638 people who had this procedure, or sat this test, 4 were Aboriginal.'

They're irrelevant and you don't need a questionnaire on a form to see whether there are inadequacies in life expectancy, literacy/numeracy etc.
I wouldn't say its a bullshit question, i'd say its bullshit what is done about it.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
ashie0, Why would being Aboriginal have any relevance to a test? Unless your implying that people of that race are of less intelligence than of other races (which makes you a racist) that question has absolutely nothing to do with anything. They could ask; is English your first language or whether you are socially disadvantaged, but your race has nothing to do with it (unless your are a racist; which you appear to be).
because A/TI groups are generally disadvantaged in many area's, as statistics show, they're not less intelligent at all but culturally and as reflected in statistics they have lower rates in literacy, numeracy, lower rates in school attendance and continuation of education. its not saying anything about intelligence but about disadvantage.

Oh and they do ask that, and 'bonus' UAI/ATAR points are available if you've suffered disadvantage...

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
because A/TI groups are generally disadvantaged in many area's, as statistics show, they're not less intelligent at all but culturally and as reflected in statistics they have lower rates in literacy, numeracy, lower rates in school attendance and continuation of education. its not saying anything about intelligence but about disadvantage.

Oh and they do ask that, and 'bonus' UAI/ATAR points are available if you've suffered disadvantage...
?so why do they ask whether you Aboriginal in applications/tests....you do realize that not all Aboriginals are disadvantaged? Being Aboriginal has nothing to do with it...it is to do with social disadvantage...not race....so agian I ask....what on earth has that question "Are you A/TI?" got to do with anything?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)