Should there be an Aboriginal voice to parliament? (1 Viewer)

A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishin

• Yes

Votes: 69 44.5%
  • No

Votes: 51 32.9%
  • Idk/results

Votes: 35 22.6%

• Total voters

itsalovehaterelo

HSC
isnt it interesting that support in the NT is only 40% when they have a 31% indigenous population
i wouldn't be surprised if that 80% support rate was bs all along
it was. parkes has a 60% indigenous population, and they have 80% no votes. the yes campaign was exposed so many times for their stupid bs

enoilgam

HSC
A pretty predictable result on the whole, however the scale of the No victory is a surprise. I was predicting 57-43 to No, but it is looking like the Yes campaign might not top 40% nationally (especially with a lot of counting in WA to go and postal votes which tend to favour No). My thoughts on the referendum.
  • Without question, the Yes campaign takes the cake for the worst political campaign of my lifetime (I thought Hilary Clinton in 2016 could never be topped). Albo will cop a lot of the blame, but the Yes campaign were just woeful. They just had a complete inability to refocus and counter the No campaign in any capacity. The failure to provide further details was absolutely a fatal mistake especially with the electorate crying out for more. How a campaign can squander a massive 15 point lead with 6 months to go and an overwhelming financial advantage will boggle the minds of political scientists for years to come
  • To that end, the No campaign was really well run - they had a clear message which cut through. No one typifies this more than Jacinta Price who was a star campaigner.
  • I dont think this is a sign of an electorate turning rightward or a massive game changing win for the Liberal party. I think with respect to this issue, it was a poorly thought out policy with an even worse campaign.
  • I completely agree with Jacinta Price when she said that some older Indigenous leaders need to step aside for some fresh views, as I agree with her comments regarding this been driven by out of touch Academics and Activists. We need some fresh ideas in the space and at the moment, any one who has slightly different ideas on Indigenous Affairs is pilloried and marginalised. This referendum should send a clear message that the orthodoxy needs a shakeup.
  • I like what Peter Dutton said re respecting the views of Yes voters. I think there needs to be some mutual respect that whilst we disagree, we shouldnt feel inhibited to do so. I was disappointed with people trashing others like say Nathan Cleary who advocated for Yes. It's a free country, Yes or No we should all be free to offer our views.

year10studentpreparin

HSC
A pretty predictable result on the whole, however the scale of the No victory is a surprise. I was predicting 57-43 to No, but it is looking like the Yes campaign might not top 40% nationally (especially with a lot of counting in WA to go and postal votes which tend to favour No). My thoughts on the referendum.
  • Without question, the Yes campaign takes the cake for the worst political campaign of my lifetime (I thought Hilary Clinton in 2016 could never be topped). Albo will cop a lot of the blame, but the Yes campaign were just woeful. They just had a complete inability to refocus and counter the No campaign in any capacity. The failure to provide further details was absolutely a fatal mistake especially with the electorate crying out for more. How a campaign can squander a massive 15 point lead with 6 months to go and an overwhelming financial advantage will boggle the minds of political scientists for years to come
  • To that end, the No campaign was really well run - they had a clear message which cut through. No one typifies this more than Jacinta Price who was a star campaigner.
  • I dont think this is a sign of an electorate turning rightward or a massive game changing win for the Liberal party. I think with respect to this issue, it was a poorly thought out policy with an even worse campaign.
  • I completely agree with Jacinta Price when she said that some older Indigenous leaders need to step aside for some fresh views, as I agree with her comments regarding this been driving by out of touch Academics and Activists. We need some fresh ideas in the space and at the moment, any one who has slightly different ideas on Indigenous Affairs is pilloried and marginalised. This referendum should send a clear message that the orthodoxy needs a shakeup.
  • I like what Peter Dutton said re respecting the views of Yes voters. I think there needs to be some mutual respect that whilst we disagree, we shouldnt feel inhibited to do so. I was disappointed with people trashing others like say Nathan Cleary who advocated for Yes. It's a free country, Yes or No we should all be free to offer our views.
agreed

notme123

HSC
The referendum has not passed, 69% of votes have been counted with 40.3% voting yes and 59.7% voting no
they probs call the winner when it becomes statistically unlikely that 100% counting will change the majority outcome. like some equation they use to predict that probability of switching and when below a certain threshold (like a hypothesis test) they declare a winner. same goes for individual states

notme123

HSC
albo basically conceded it but that doesnt actually mean theyve lost. its just 99% likely theyve lost and arent patient enough to wait till tomorrow when everyone forgotten and doesnt care anymore.

carrotsss

HSC
they probs call the winner when it becomes statistically unlikely that 100% counting will change the majority outcome. like some equation they use to predict that probability of switching and when below a certain threshold (like a hypothesis test) they declare a winner. same goes for individual states
yeah and you don't need a very high percentage of votes to reach that on the scale of a whole country/state, hence why they get called so early especially when theres this much of a majority.

its also faster for referendums because unlike normal elections there's no preferences so the final % is much easier to calculate

notme123

HSC
@notme123 if u dont mind me asking what did u vote? or like why do u support who u do
i should be careful when speaking to a gender science honours student. tbh i didnt want to vote. im in an electorate with an extremely high yes majority but i didnt choose to follow. i didnt vote yes but doesnt mean i voted no

carrotsss

HSC
seriously, so they campaigned for months just to give up at the last moment, there could very well be a chance that the scales tip but they don't want to wait for that possibility?
theres zero chance, have u seen the percentages, the only way that things would change would be if there was an extreme extreme upset on prepoll votes which is the exact opposite of whats usually the case

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
i should be careful when speaking to a gender science honours student. tbh i didnt want to vote. im in an electorate with an extremely high yes majority but i didnt choose to follow. i didnt vote yes but doesnt mean i voted no
Fuck i was about to cancel u, i had ur IP on standby on my twitter post man fuck u were gonna be my honours thesis on "How 99.95 ATAR students tend to be more extraverted-psychologically-integrated with a hint of cocaine inductive behaviour with transphobic and lgbtq neglecting/intolerating/bisexual bastardising attitudes"

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
What percent of the total vote is just going to be donkey votes? Like you didn't have to tick a box or anything, you could have written some racist/anti-Semitic/suicidal shit in that box and you wouldn't be fined.

carrotsss

HSC
What percent of the total vote is just going to be donkey votes? Like you didn't have to tick a box or anything, you could have written some racist/anti-Semitic/suicidal shit in that box and you wouldn't be fined.
1.1%

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
lmaoooo its official, you do gender studies now @ExtremelyBoredUser
Sorry, when did I ever NOT do gender SCIENCE? Its not studies u stupid dummy, im not one of those 80 IQ "Actuarial Studies" kids who choose the degree because they can do 2 + 2, OMG GUYS I CAN ADD i and i TO GET 2i IN THE COMPLEX PLANE OMG IM SO SMART TIME TO BECOME SBF'S PERSONAL ADVISOR OMEGALUL. Rather I'm a bit more refined, antique persay in my taste and I choose to opt into a high class, high quality, women-inclusive, gender binding, not racist or divisive GENDER SCIENCE degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)