• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should virginity be regarded as a virtue in modern society? (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Kwayera said:
I kind of get it. But never having that religious background, I simply cannot understand society's hangups about sex (especially female virginity). And the fact that everyone still goes "omg that girl has had sex/had sex with more than one person, what a slut." Sex really isn't all that special, biologically.
Maybe it's a complex, subconscious expression of all their hatred of life, existence, themselves - how they find reality chaotic and random and full of suffering. They furiously rage against their indifferent surroundings and cruel fate by turning all their bitterness and anger on themselves - denying themselves their urges, legitimizing their hatred of the happy and healthy through invented concepts like SIN

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
theshortykatt said:
of course it applies there because you were drunk etc.

but forgetting the variables such as drugs..
What if I wasn't drunk? What if I had sex with one person who I thought was special, but then we went through a rough patch and I do it with the same feelings of love to another girl? At the very least then isn't it still an equally loving act? :|

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
theshortykatt said:
are you really going to compare humans to animals?
We are animals.

Also most humans are much less monogamous than some other animal species, like the Wandering Albatross.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Iron said:
Maybe it's a complex, subconscious expression of all their hatred of life, existence, themselves - how they find reality chaotic and random and full of suffering. They furiously rage against their indifferent surroundings and cruel fate by turning all their bitterness and anger on themselves - denying themselves their urges, legitimizing their hatred of the happy and healthy through invented concepts like SIN
Yep, sounds about right!

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Kwayera said:
We are animals.

Also most humans are much less monogamous than some other animal species, like the Wandering Albatross.
How then can you claim it's something totally abhorrent to a creatures biology to desire monogamous relationships? You've provided the answer to your own question, my guess would be that a lot of these sexual morals are entirely biological, that doesn't mean we shouldn't abandon them though... a lot of the most beautiful aspects of humans at least seem to abandon our most primal biological urges.

Last edited:

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
Isn't that happening already?

I mean, look at the Catholic ideal, "no sex before marriage because it's sacred, but once you're hitched, as many kids as you can!"

yes. it's absolutely happening already. India, China and Africa are growing at INCREDIBLY high rates. (Although China's population will decline rapidly in the next few decades due to a very high population of men).

and then we'll have a food crisis globally and then all die. hurrah.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Enteebee said:
How then can you claim it's something totally abhorrent to a creatures biology to desire monogamous relationships? You've provided the answer to your own question.
I don't.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
theshortykatt said:
does anyone else think we are animals?

we can act like animals, but we are not animals
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primates
Family: Hominidae
Genus: Homo
Species: H. sapiens
Subspecies: H. s. sapiens

Jeez, everyone, read a fucking biology textbook. We are animals.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Sex is sex. The birds and the bees do it without shame or piousness, why can't we?

I kind of get it. But never having that religious background, I simply cannot understand society's hangups about sex (especially female virginity). And the fact that everyone still goes "omg that girl has had sex/had sex with more than one person, what a slut."
These questions are answered biologically imo.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
theshortykatt said:
does anyone else think we are animals?

we can act like animals, but we are not animals

i believe we are a higher species of animals. you might be thinking of animals in what it's socially referred to.

Think of animals as "A multicellular organism of the kingdom Animalia, differing from plants in certain typical characteristics such as capacity for locomotion, nonphotosynthetic metabolism, pronounced response to stimuli, restricted growth, and fixed bodily structure."

that's the googled definition.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
theshortykatt said:
so people want to class humans as something... so what.

i still dont believe we are animals.
Then you're delusional and have an inflated sense of arrogant superiority.

Which, I find, is typically Christian.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
theshortykatt said:
i still dont believe we are animals.
people have different understanding and definitions of being an "animal" so of obviously opinions will clash and what not.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Why not? So your definition of animal would say "unless they're really, really smart"? It seems like a strange point of contention, why not say something isn't an animal anymore when they become "really, really fast"? We're not the same as all the other animals in some ways, in others we are, just as they're different from each other.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I'm willing to bet her reasoning is "we're not animals because we have a soul" or some other fallacy.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Don't you believe in evolution? Why do you think all these scientists who've spent lifetimes studying the subject all around the world believe in it... Do you think they prefer the idea that we evolved and are intellectually dishonest, or do you just think they've all got it wrong?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Hey wanna try and go beyond someone's religious values? Otherwise we're not going to get anywhere! You're not going to break them down, so aim for the foundation! No one justifies their morals with just religion alone.

I mean, that's how Chadd got to me in early 04.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
oh god i did a big ass essay on evolution. very interesting and very logical.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Except when they think ALL morals are based in religion.

I know a few of those IRL :s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)