• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should virginity be regarded as a virtue in modern society? (1 Viewer)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
aw I think I'm given too much credit there tbh. But yeah that's definately true, in the end I don't believe our morals etc come from religion but that we have another moral foundation and that's how we truly make our decisions.

@kat: Imo it doesn't matter what they think, they might think they got these morals from their scripture, but there's logical reasons why they believe X to be true over Y, unless you truly believe that they really ARE divinely inspired. Their "divinely inspired" morals is just their consciousness, sorta like socrates' daemon.

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
no, we are not animals because that just what i think.
Why is it what you think? It's like if I said "I believe the earth is flat", surely I have some reasons for this... I strongly doubt anyone could inately believe such things, it stands at odds with so many other conceptions they believe in.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Hey wanna try and go beyond someone's religious values? Otherwise we're not going to get anywhere! You're not going to break them down, so aim for the foundation! No one justifies their morals with just religion alone.
why not?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
theshortykatt said:
being unscientific im just generally classing living things into flora, fauna and humans.

i do believe that we are superior to animals.

and remembering that im christian and you can refer to passages in genesis.
Can we be "superior" to all the other animals, while still being an animal? I.e. Michael Jordan was still a basketballer even though he was so much better at basketball than everyone else.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
theshortykatt said:
being unscientific im just generally classing living things into flora, fauna and humans.

i do believe that we are superior to animals.

and remembering that im christian and you can refer to passages in genesis.
*tries to put on patience-hat*

There are four kingdoms of life (or six if you split up Protista): Protista, Funghi, Plantae, and Animalia.

We are a member of Animalia. We evolved from animals; we are still animals.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Enteebee said:
Can we be "superior" to all the other animals, while still being an animal? I.e. Michael Jordan was still a basketballer even though he was so much better at basketball than everyone else.
I don't think we can. We certainly aren't superior in physical attributes, and regarding intelligence? Well, I agree that we are more intelligent that other animals, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's better. Just different.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
theshortykatt said:
we evolve from apes????
to me, it doesnt work.
And that is because, in your own words, you are 'unscientific'. To begin to understand this you need to start becoming 'scientific', because it is a tremendous tragedy not to understand the origin of your own species.

We did evolve from apes (well, actually an ape-like ancestor, but essentially), and we remain apes. Just very smart ones.

Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Kwayera said:
I don't think we can. We certainly aren't superior in physical attributes, and regarding intelligence? Well, I agree that we are more intelligent that other animals, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's better. Just different.
Well obviously the notion of superiority is a subjective one, which is why i put it in quotation marks, I just didn't want to say... " Can we be based on your conception of superiority, superior, while still being an animal. "

theshortykatt said:
we evolve from apes????
to me, it doesnt work.
Do you agree the world is a few billion years old?
Have you noticed that slowly over short periods of time we've been able to breed dogs to look different from other dogs?
Do you think that the change from one dog to another, if given another 100,000,000x longer could produce a creature COMPLETELY different?

Then you can believe in evolution.

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
But you don't just believe it's true because you read it in the bible, right? I mean surely there's things in the bible that you don't believe are literally true, so you have some of a mechanism through which you decide things are true or not other than the bible. I'm asking you to employ this mechanism to decide whether human beings are animals or not...

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
theshortykatt said:
Genesis 1:20-23 And God said, "Let the waters bring forth swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the dome of the sky." So God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, of every kind, with which the waters swarm, and every winged bird of every kind. And God saw that it was good. God blessed them, saying, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth." And there was evening and there was morning, the fifth day.

Genesis 1:24-25 24 And God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures of every kind: cattle and creeping things and wild animals of the earth of every kind." And it was so.God made the wild animals of the earth of every kind, and the cattle of every kind, and everything that creeps upon the ground of every kind. And God saw that it was good.

Genesis 1:27 So God created humankind in God's image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

just from a websight, dont know how accurate verses are.
http://www.webofcreation.org/LENS/bibleverses.html
Oh god, she's a creationist. *shakes head*

Well, Genesis got lucky with the first bit - life originated in the oceans. But wild animals of the earth started being wild animals of the earth long before birds ever took wing.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
theshortykatt said:
we evolve from apes????
to me, it doesnt work.

if you look in biology books you'll see how so many different types of animals have evolved from each other. you need to understand that these evolutionary changes aren't over days.. they're over millions of years. all animals adjust to their surroundings and therefore their body changes and adjusts over time to build physical features it needs to survive in that environment.

there's so much evidence for this. through chromosome similarities, through fossils, through sooooooooooo much. you should read up on it.

one again it happens over many many many many years.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
What does quoting bible verses prove when you've acknowledged that "God said question it". I'd say that we should look for actual evidence in this reality that you believe a God created right? So let's see if the physical evidence from reality backs up the claims in the bible...

Agree?

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
fernando said:
if you look in biology books you'll see how so many different types of animals have evolved from each other. you need to understand that these evolutionary changes aren't over days.. they're over millions of years. all animals adjust to their surroundings and therefore their body changes and adjusts over time to build physical features it needs to survive in that environment.

there's so much evidence for this. through chromosome similarities, through fossils, through sooooooooooo much. you should read up on it.

one again it happens over many many many many years.
archaeopteryx!

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
theshortykatt said:
tbh, it doesnt affect me if humans are animals or not.
i dont need to study it. only argue with people which is useless due to the fact that we are stubborn in our own ways/
Now that is something I don't understand. How can you fully experience what it means to be human without knowing where you came from?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
theshortykatt said:
tbh, it doesnt affect me if humans are animals or not.
i dont need to study it. only argue with people which is useless due to the fact that we are stubborn in our own ways/
Ok but you didn't answer me before... do you believe all these scientists (including MANY self-proclaimed christians) who have closely examined the evidence from all around the world are just "stubborn in their ways"? Why do you think they believe it's true, are they just all mistaken?

m&ss2008

HSC
has anyone counted the amount of threads turned into religious debates on BoS?

most have been deleted now.

i smell another delete approaching

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)