• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should virginity be regarded as a virtue in modern society? (1 Viewer)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
theshortykatt said:
what book is that?
its not my choice in what is put into the bible, but its there for a reason.
I don't know. I read it a while ago. One of the four gospels somewhere.

And by that statement, you tacitly agree with slavery?

It's good you're arguing. The more you question, the more you learn.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
theshortykatt said:
true.

but i dont quite know where they come from.

everything building on top of itself?
Of course it's hard to pinpoint them, but if you have no better reason to believe something than what someone else does, maybe it's time to examine why that's the case?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
theshortykatt said:
i dont believe what i believe because others do.

(i dont really understand what you actually said)
What i mean is.. you're saying you don't understand why you believe X is true. Now if you encounter someone who puts up good reasons for believing X is not true, surely that means you should endevour harder to examine why it is you believe X is true? If you can't come up with anything that trumps their reasons for not believing it's true... maybe it's time to change your belief, I mean it's your own independent mine that's decided logically they have the better answer, they didn't force it on you - You're engaging in a bit of double think if you don't

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
theshortykatt said:
no i dont agree with slavery.
but im interested in why that chapter would be there..

i have learnt lots tonight.
It's there because not everything in the Bible is right. If it was, then we'd have no problem with genocide, given the 2,000,000+ people that died at the hand of God in the Bible, many of them innocent.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
have you/everyone proved whatever we were discussing (my opinions) to be untrue?
Well not mathematically proved, but at least in my own mind I've never held onto a belief for which I've been presented with a stronger argument for not believing.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
theshortykatt said:
i dont believe what i believe because others do.

(i dont really understand what you actually said)
The 90% of Iran that's muslim doesn't believe in Islam because of their parents being Muslim.
The 90% of Israel that's Jewish, the 90% of Spain that's Catholic, etc.

You believe what you believe because you've been exposed to it since childhood. That's not to say it's right, or it's wrong, but somebody who's had 'faith' as a bedrock since they were young is unlikely to let it go and will continue to believe in what they always have because many even if they can't form genuine arguments against things they'll create weak rationalisations which appear the same to them because they want it to be true so badly.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
theshortykatt said:
if its mathematical then i guess i have to change my view, but if its philosophical then i guess its harder to change them
this is pretty close to mathematical

the topic's changed a bit but there isn't really any room at all for disagreement that humans are animals and have common ancestors with other mammals.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Should be or shouldnt be is a weird question...
It definately isnt regarded as virtue by most people. Not in my experience anyway.They just think you are a snob/ have too high an opinion of yourself. Everyone should leave everyone else alone:rolleyes:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
I just realised how ambiguous my post was.
I definately think waiting till marriage is the best:)

Besodeiah

Banned
HSC
N/A
*TRUE* said:
I just realised how ambiguous my post was.
I definately think waiting till marriage is the best:)
i give you 6 months before you lose it to some random guy after somebody mixes you a vodka and oj

obviously if you'd had a cheaper premix with less alcohol content it wouldnt have happened

blame rudd.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Besodeiah said:
i give you 6 months before you lose it to some random guy after somebody mixes you a vodka and oj

obviously if you'd had a cheaper premix with less alcohol content it wouldnt have happened

blame rudd.
No WAY!!!! Im getting married!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY cant wait.
Lucky I dont drink....
Dont worry I blame Rudd for everything:)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Besodeiah said:

blame rudd.
lol.

sex in and of itself is just a physical act which is fun. virtues and morals and feelings only come into it when we deliberately attach those meanings to it and adhere to the beliefs that come out of that (i.e. that waiting till marriage is the best thing to do). That's why you can have both totally meaningless drunk random sex with a stranger and romantic sex with lots of emotion with a husband/wife or significant partner. Imo neither kind of sex is less valid. Then again, I'm not religious at all so the ideals about marriage don't sit well with me, but if that's the way you want to frame sex for yourself, that's fine, I guess.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
lol.

sex in and of itself is just a physical act which is fun. virtues and morals and feelings only come into it when we deliberately attach those meanings to it and adhere to the beliefs that come out of that (i.e. that waiting till marriage is the best thing to do). That's why you can have both totally meaningless drunk random sex with a stranger and romantic sex with lots of emotion with a husband/wife or significant partner. Imo neither kind of sex is less valid. Then again, I'm not religious at all so the ideals about marriage don't sit well with me, but if that's the way you want to frame sex for yourself, that's fine, I guess.
I guess that is something everyone feels different about.
Personally I want to give myself to someone who loves me enough to say publicly that he loves me & that he wants commit to spending the rest of his life with me. Ill do the same.
Its so good to have no regrets. And to have that expectation of GOOD TIMES one day.
And to know I wont have gross awkward memories of others to take with me on my wedding night...or pass someone in the street and cringe....
I dont understand sex before marriage? Why?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I guess this is where religion comes into it. I personally think that you can have a relationship which is every bit as loving and committed as a marriage, without being married (so a long term de facto relationship)...you don't necessarily need to have your union made 'official' by getting married. But that's me. All the devout Christians I know would take a very different view of it because for them, marriage means more than it does for someone with an atheist world view.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
*TRUE* said:
I guess that is something everyone feels different about.
Personally I want to give myself to someone who loves me enough to say publicly that he loves me & that he wants commit to spending the rest of his life with me. Ill do the same.
Its so good to have no regrets. And to have that expectation of GOOD TIMES one day.
And to know I wont have gross awkward memories of others to take with me on my wedding night...or pass someone in the street and cringe....
I dont understand sex before marriage? Why?
Well I've been with my boyfriend of 5 years, we live together etc and I have no regrets thus far. And even if we break up in a messy way, I would still have no regrets, because it was a good relationship with someone and expressed my love for them emotionally, physically etc.

I don't need marriage to validate my love for someone. My boyfriend's parents (who are still together) are still unmarried. They have had three children and are very happy. I realise you may have religious reasons, but for those who don't, no marriage does not mean that you are any less in love or committed to a person.

It's fine that you personally believe in sex after marriage. I'm just dumbfounded with the fact that you don't understand sex before it.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I guess this is where religion comes into it. I personally think that you can have a relationship which is every bit as loving and committed as a marriage, without being married (so a long term de facto relationship)...you don't necessarily need to have your union made 'official' by getting married. But that's me. All the devout Christians I know would take a very different view of it because for them, marriage means more than it does for someone with an atheist world view.
Hmmm. I dont know if it is religion...
I just would so hate to be used as a sexual outlet like that...like a toilet or something.
Id want certainty that i was of more value than sexual release to a man.
I think marriage ( legal) is good because it IS a BIG commitment ...
Ive seen the other side. SO many of my awesome friends have given themselves away and it has meant so many emotional/physical complications etc...it hasnt led to anything good in the longterm at all...Im always wondering what GOOD comes of sex before marriage (especially casual sex?)

Besodeiah

Banned
HSC
N/A
*TRUE* said:
Hmmm. I dont know if it is religion...
I just would so hate to be used as a sexual outlet like that...like a toilet or something.
Id want certainty that i was of more value than sexual release to a man.
I think marriage ( legal) is good because it IS a BIG commitment ...
Ive seen the other side. SO many of my awesome friends have given themselves away and it has meant so many emotional/physical complications etc...it hasnt led to anything good in the longterm at all...Im always wondering what GOOD comes of sex before marriage (especially casual sex?)
So don't go and sleep with a heap of random guys then.

You can have sex before marriage in a relationship without it demeaning the act or yourself, is the point we're getting at

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Im always wondering what GOOD comes of sex before marriage
It's a way to connect with someone. And really express love for them. Your relationship becomes so much more bigger and better with sex.

Also yes you've seen the other side, so learn from that. You just need to be level headed and have good character judgement. Don't leap into relationships with just any guy. Really get to know someone first. Your friends were probably really young and naive.

Again read my post about marriage.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
Well I've been with my boyfriend of 5 years, we live together etc and I have no regrets thus far. And even if we break up in a messy way, I would still have no regrets, because it was a good relationship with someone and expressed my love for them emotionally, physically etc.

I don't need marriage to validate my love for someone. My boyfriend's parents (who are still together) are still unmarried. They have had three children and are very happy. I realise you may have religious reasons, but for those who don't, no marriage does not mean that you are any less in love or committed to a person.

It's fine that you personally believe in sex after marriage. I'm just dumbfounded with the fact that you don't understand sex before it.
I can sort of understand a commited relationship such as yours...I definately dont want to judge anyone for what they do. But i also wonder why you dont get married, seeing as you care so much for one another? Do you think maybe people assume that they will not stay with the same person till death do part?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)