Should we introduce one-word exams? (1 Viewer)

Should we introduce one-word exams?

• Hells yeah. Bring it on, big boy.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • What?! DO NOT WANT.

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

FlipX

HSC
From the New York Times:

Oxford Tradition Comes to This: ‘Death’ (Expound)
Oxford Tradition Comes to This - ‘Death’ (Expound) - NYTimes.com

The exam was simple yet devilish, consisting of a single noun (“water,” for instance, or “bias”) that applicants had three hours somehow to spin into a coherent essay.

An admissions requirement for All Souls College here, it was meant to test intellectual agility, but sometimes seemed to test only the ability to sound brilliant while saying not much of anything.

Maybe we should look into this... Goodbye, standardised testing; hello, creative essays? :drink:

ibbi00

HSC
So in other words: Who can bullshit the most in 3 hours yet make it sound good? Sounds interesting xD

FlipX

HSC
It won't necessarily be the same as crapping on, if you're well-informed and rationale enough to write a sustained and substantiated opinion piece.

It'll be more difficult to mark than standardised tests, but maybe as a supplementary assessment?

aussie-boy

HSC
Apparently, there was once a psychology exam, with the final question: 'Why?'

And allegedly the top mark was given to the person who answered, 'Why not?'

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
I remember my english teacher said he once sat a philosophy exam with one question "What is a question?" to which he wrote "This is an answer." and walked out.

xMaNx

HSC
lol, "this is an answer" what a smart one.

however, he never answered the question. Shoulda wrote "a question requires an answer, and is created from an answer, to which this is the answer" :lol:

aussie-boy

HSC
I remember my english teacher said he once sat a philosophy exam with one question "What is a question?" to which he wrote "This is an answer." and walked out.
Presumably thats why hes now a high school english teacher and not a successful academic

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
A former WA premier told that same story in a lecture a couple of weeks ago, only it was 'Is this a question?' and it was a philosophy lecture at Oxford :|.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
From the New York Times:

Oxford Tradition Comes to This: ‘Death’ (Expound)
Oxford Tradition Comes to This - ‘Death’ (Expound) - NYTimes.com

The exam was simple yet devilish, consisting of a single noun (“water,” for instance, or “bias”) that applicants had three hours somehow to spin into a coherent essay.

An admissions requirement for All Souls College here, it was meant to test intellectual agility, but sometimes seemed to test only the ability to sound brilliant while saying not much of anything.

Maybe we should look into this... Goodbye, standardised testing; hello, creative essays? :drink:
Yeah i think these would be better at assessing english ability and intellect than the current english course... rote learn and essay

C

chrisjb

it'd be just like sitting the GAT (yes, i'm from victoria and am hijacking your forum), an exam that you can't study for, where every student is only able to use the material before them to write a page and a half of BS.

FlipX

HSC
Apparently, there was once a psychology exam, with the final question: 'Why?'

And allegedly the top mark was given to the person who answered, 'Why not?'
Urban legends. And both would've been instant fails, seriously.

Presumably thats why hes now a high school english teacher and not a successful academic
lol

I'm almost tempted to start a sample thread of one-word essays... But god knows we all have ADHD attention spans and no one will read what anyone else's written...except...maybe the current HSC English Extension 2 kids? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)